Author Topic: High School and College Cross-Country distances  (Read 3233 times)

Tinman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
High School and College Cross-Country distances
« on: April 05, 2007, 12:57:58 AM »
Friends,

I just saw a discussion on letsrun.com about the length of high school cross-country races for girls compared to boys. The discussion is why do Texas girls run 2 miles and the boys run 5k?

Let's share some opinions about the distance of high school races here. Also, let's share thoughts about the collegiate scene too!

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Shrankie

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 02:04:52 PM »
I think in all fairness Girls should run 4k and Boys should run 5k. In Wisconsin they run this distance. One could argue good or bad pertaining to the college distances and the division at which a high school athlete transitions (Division I, II or III). I do however think that the distance should be changed in the near future to 5k for the girls and 6k for the guys. I say this in refererance to the distance changes in college (women to 5k-6k/Men to 8k-10k). I think your putting kids at a disadvantage right away by getting use to the 4k/5k distance or in Texas's case 2mi/5k. In college these high school kids are most likely in for a rude awakeing. Not saying they won't be successful, as of course the more developed runners will flurrish at a longer distance, then the less developed athletes who compete at the college level.I'm sure you could argue back and forth on this issue, for days on end, and I'm also sure you could find some great statistics on incoming freshmen that make the transition at the college distances to argue you point. :rolleyes:

retread

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 12:03:07 AM »
I see no reason why girls shouldn't race the same distance as the guys. They are less powerful. So what? The most powerfully built runners are sprinters.

efahl

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 01:49:07 PM »
I agree, girls and boys races should be the same distance.  I strongly agree with rojo's comments on the letsrun thread about subtle sexism in many institutions including track and field ("the x race" and "the women's x race").

I have my own kids, nieces and nephews, many of whom have run track or been on the swim team or entered road races or whatever, and it always pisses me off whenever the girls get second class status and shorter, "easier" distances.

Tinman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 03:53:34 AM »
Good point about sexism - a double standard! If we are to make both genders equal in law, then we should make both genders run the same distance in cross-country races. The same goes for tennis!  Why do the women only play 3 sets? That's not right!

My opinion is this, 5k or 3 mile should be the standard distance for both boys and girls varsity runners in high school. JV runners should run 2 miles or 3200m, regardless of gender.

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

WHS

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 01:05:54 PM »
Limiting the JV race to 2 miles would be great call!  

It would be fun to have a HS steeplechase as well.  I think that would help get more kids interested in the sport.

Facebook Comments