Using CV Workouts and Tempos every week in base phase.
Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sandilandsrunner

Using CV Workouts and Tempos every week in base phase.

by Sandilandsrunner » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:03 pm

Hi there,

I'm a keen adult runner (32) and i'm keen to target some indoor racing in 1500/mile in spring.

I finished my outdoor track season in Sept and took a week off.

I having taken 2-3 weeks building back my mileage to normal i have now started to include CV workouts and a tempo every week. (eg 6 x 1k and a 30-40min tempo)

I am keen to slightly increase my mileage this winter (40 up to 50 mpw) and so my question is: is it safe/beneficial to do a CV (or threshold) workout and a tempo every week whilst slowly increasing mileage?

i have read through a lot of posts here but was keen to see what some of you think about using CV and tempo's every week. Do you find it leads to burn out/fatigue/injury or is it ok to do them every week throughout base training?

thanks

:)

dilluh

Re: Using CV Workouts and Tempos every week in base phase.

by dilluh » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:09 pm

There's no problem with it during base as long as the volume and intensity match current fitness. In fact, Tinman would argue it's a more efficient way to "build base" compared to just mega-mileage at easy/moderate. To avoid boredom, I'd switch it up the CV with LT reps, progression runs and maybe do 2x per week tempo runs sometimes. I get stale, mentally, in early season training if I just do CV + tempo every week. Though, there's almost never a time of year where I'm not getting in at least one tempo run of some sort per week.

Sandilandsrunner

by Sandilandsrunner » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:10 pm

Thanks for your input!

yes i was planning to alternate CV and Threshold workouts, but the idea to use progression runs or 2 x tempos is great.

i started right back with CV k's but not as i'd seen on here 'aerobic fartleks' (eg 30s @ 5k pace etc) and wasn't sure which was a more appropriate method - i'd prefer to do CV and threshold reps but had seen Tinman recommend aerobic fartleks, but perhaps that's more for HS runners.

It's good to hear you successfully use CV year round without getting to stale or beaten up.

do you ever incorporate aerobic fartleks as listed above?

dilluh

by dilluh » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:08 pm

You could use the aerobic fartleks, but seeing as you haven't likely lost much fitness with just one week off, I'm not sure you need to. Aerobic fartleks are an efficient way to bridge a runner who has less than optimal fitness and power/turnover to transitioning into the normal workouts we talk about here quite often (CV, LT, tempo, etc). Aerobic fartlek can also be a 10-20% pseudo-workout the day before a real workout for marathoners to keep a little bit of life/turnover in their stride.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:52 am

Yes, CV and tempo runs can be done during "base" training or any time of the year. They will boost your aerobic ability without abusing your body.

Regards,
Coach Schwartz
www.runfastcoach.com
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Corentin15

by Corentin15 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:23 pm

dilluh wrote:You could use the aerobic fartleks, but seeing as you haven't likely lost much fitness with just one week off, I'm not sure you need to. Aerobic fartleks are an efficient way to bridge a runner who has less than optimal fitness and power/turnover to transitioning into the normal workouts we talk about shuttle Paris here quite often (CV, LT, tempo, etc). Aerobic fartlek can also be a 10-20% pseudo-workout the day before a real workout for marathoners to keep a little bit of life/turnover in their stride.

Yes, this is a good idea

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1