Training Heavy-Footed High School Runners
Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BFB344

Training Heavy-Footed High School Runners

by BFB344 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:43 am

I coach a high-school distance runner in indoor track with a very heavy-foot strike. He was injured this summer (stress fracture), came back about half-way through the cross-country season, and now has a stress reaction in his shins. He worked his tail off on the bike to keep aerobic fitness early in the cross-country season. He's back on the bike this week and next week.

Anyone have any successful strategies training this type of runner? Workouts/Exercises/Drills? Days a week of running vs. cross-training to stay healthy? Workout intensity v. length?

Thanks.

woodsticks1204

Re: Training Heavy-Footed High School Runners

by woodsticks1204 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:36 pm

Have you tried to increase his cadence? I have had heavy footed runners in the past as well and it usually stemmed from the kids over striding. Usually picking up the cadence kept their stride shorter and allowed them to be lighter on their feet.

BFB344

Re: Training Heavy-Footed High School Runners

by BFB344 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:00 pm

Ladder and stick drills are on my list of things to try. However, he doesn't have a particularly long stride, and he is not a heel striker. Not way up on the toes, but not a true mid-foot striker either.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1