Jakob Ingebrigtsen finishing speed
Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BenCal7

Jakob Ingebrigtsen finishing speed

by BenCal7 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:23 am

Over the past year, the Ingebrigtsen brothers have closed the last 300-200 meters with incredible speed. In the wonderful YouTube series of “Team Ingebrigtsen,” Gjert (father/coach) explains that all 3 of his sons lack fast twitch muscle fibers and neglects to explain how they are capable of reaching these top-end speeds at the end of their races. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this topic and how an individual can train to obtain such blistering speed after the course of a mid-distance to distance race.

-If I had to assume it would be a mix of aerobic strength and short wicket-like drills after a run where the athlete reaches top speed for roughly 40m. Although, I was under the impression athletes can burn out from doing speed too early.

jgt11

Re: Jakob Ingebrigtsen finishing speed

by jgt11 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:29 pm

I would say it's 2 factors
1. Due to lot's of threshold training the ingebritsens are less acidic and their muscles have less resistance to contraction so they can sprint at a higher percentage of max speed.

2. They frequently do hill sprints often on the afternoon of the day they had a threshold session in the morning. So they're legs are used to sprinting when tired.

NIch_xc

by NIch_xc » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:01 pm

Honestly, I don't think his closing speed is abnormal, it's just very exciting to watch because of how elite his times are. I trained with a lot of CV work this past track season (which is very similar to LT training, but obviously a little different) and I always closed hard even when I was PRing, like running 4:35 going 70-69-69-66, a 7 second PR. I'm not trying to show off, but fast times come from smart racing and pacing yourself right, something Jakob has down a lot better than me and most people. If you look at his 1500m races, he's usually not actually closing that much faster, he's usually the one that speeds up and slows down the least out of the whole field. What I want to know is, how is this done with only threshold and hills and a few track tune ups? Tinman, what are your thoughts on this type of training? Do you think more people could benefit from it or is it a lucky hit for this family?

BenCal7

by BenCal7 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:23 pm

I recently went back to previous blog posts regarding finishing speed and Tinman explained that “a kick is 80% aerobic and 20% anaerobic.” Which would make sense considering Jakob runs 120 miles a week. Although, the majority of the guys he competes against run 100+ mile weeks so I wonder what the difference is.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1