Marathon training strategy

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Schebo

Post by Schebo » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:23 am

I plan to run a sub-2.50 marathon in may 11th and I have read about your training philosophy (10k training first, then marathon specific) but for various reasons (illness, work etc) training has not been optimal. I know that I have to be in ~35 min 10k shape to run a sub-2,50 but right now I?m nowhere near that shape although my endurance is good, but not great. So, I?m wondering if I should start marathon specific training anyway or do 10k training for another month or do some sort of compromise.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:37 pm

Start Marathon Training on the 3rd of February. Twice per week do Big Workouts. Start with about 80 minutes for the mid-week workout and 100 minutes for the weekend Big Workout. Add 6-8 minutes every other week to the total of each. The last two weeks don't do anything over 2 hours, though, for the Weekend Big Workout and not over 90 minutes for the mid-week Big Workout. Reduce daily volume by 20-30% over the last 9 days, but don't reduce frequency of training.

Good luck!

Tinman
runfastcoach@gmail.com
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

by7

Post by by7 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:56 am

Schebo,

if this can be of your "comfort", last year I was at 35'40" in 10k not later than 16 weeks out from my marathon. I started to follow the same approach as described by Tinman and reached 2h42' in April.
I enjoyed an incredible fast improvement, due to keeping the mileage up, but still performing good "faster" workouts, thanks to "Big Workouts" strategy. Both Endurance and AT went up at the same time !!

Schebo

Post by Schebo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:16 am

Like I said, I?m nowhere near 35 min 10k shape, so I?m a bit desperate. It feels a bit strange to be in such a miserable shape - in the mid 1990s I ran the XC nationals several times...

Blaine Moore

Post by Blaine Moore » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:24 pm

I've gone from no running (but in shape through weight lifting) to a marathon in 9 weeks. I don't recommend it, and I didn't run a 2:50 (I ran a 3:17 or 3:18) but it was done.

You'll be fine. Just concentrate on quality workouts, proper rest, and making sure you eat something when you finish running. Things will click.