Training for 2.40 Marathon

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:09 pm

I do schedule marathon pace workouts that total 10-15 miles. I've used 5,4,3,2,1 or 4,3,2,1 or 5-6 x 2 miles as staples, but many others of similar design have been included too.

All runners should use a variety of training paces regularly. One-sided training yields staleness and poor race times, normally!

Tinman
runfastcoach@gmail.com
(coaching available)
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

coach xc

Post by coach xc » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:47 am

[QUOTE=coach xc]Tinman,

Thanks again for your help.

I read before a thread re running with low glycogen stores in preparation for marathon.What are your views on this?Should you do certain Big Workouts/Long Runs without taking on carb drinks or should you practice drinking?Also is it ok to do morning runs without food?[/QUOTE]

Anybody got any opinions on this?

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:38 pm

My opinion, use Big Workouts as means of depleting glycogen stores. The result is increased storage capacity. Run further and faster (twice per week) and let the other workouts be shorter & slower!

I generally disagree with inviting chronic glycogen depletion. Chronic depletion causes runners to reduce the length of runs, for one thing, and causes a myriad of psycho-emotional problems such as malaise (lack of enthusiasm) and depression. Basically, one's attitude becomes very bad and one's capacity to recover from hard training is nill. Additonally, chronically depleted runners are bears to be around. They get in arguments, snap at the least little thing, and can't seem to get things done at work or at home that really should take priority over their running.

Tinman
runfastcoach@gmail.co
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

road dog

Post by road dog » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:05 pm

[QUOTE=Tinman]My opinion, use Big Workouts as means of depleting glycogen stores. The result is increased storage capacity. Run further and faster (twice per week) and let the other workouts be shorter & slower!

I generally disagree with inviting chronic glycogen depletion. Chronic depletion causes runners to reduce the length of runs, for one thing, and causes a myriad of psycho-emotional problems such as malaise (lack of enthusiasm) and depression. Basically, one's attitude becomes very bad and one's capacity to recover from hard training is nill. Additonally, chronically depleted runners are bears to be around. They get in arguments, snap at the least little thing, and can't seem to get things done at work or at home that really should take priority over their running.

Tinman
runfastcoach@gmail.co[/QUOTE]

Tinman, do you think psycho-emotional issues can be caused from the winter 'blues' months? During this winter, I found myself in a malaise, and it didn't dawn on me, until I realized that it took a great effort to do the smallest task. Since I am aware of it now, I have been focusing on getting things done w/out procrastinating, and feel better.

-Road Dog

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:46 pm

Yes, winter blues or lack of sunlight does cause depression.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

jozast

Post by jozast » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:03 pm

tune up races? how many, over how many weeks in the build up? what distances?

is a 5k 12 wks out, 10k 8wks out & a 1/2mth 4wks out; a plan that you would advise?

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:31 pm

Given full control of scheduling, training and racing, I would include a race every 3 weeks during the 12 weeks leading to a marathon race. Ideally, a 10k, a 15k, a half-marathon, and then a 10k (2 weeks before the big race).

So, it would look like this:

week # Event
------- ------
1 ) 10k (an 8k is fine)

4 ) 15k or 10-mile race

7 ) half-marathon (15k-10-mile race is fine)

10 10k (an 8k is fine)

12 Marathon
------------------------------------
Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Norwegianrunner

Post by Norwegianrunner » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:06 pm

Tinman, do you think it is to close to run a half marathon three weeks before a peaking marathon? Would you adjust the taper period into the marathon, starting with the half marathon?

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:55 pm

Norwegian -

No I don't recommend running a half-marathon at full effort 3 weeks before a marathon race. That's too close to fully recover. It takes more like 5 weeks to fully recover.

I do not think a 3-week taper is a good idea before a marathon, generally. That's too long!

Regards,

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com