Tinman Runners Update
A place for participants to post their own, or other racing reports and information. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

103 posts   •   Page 1 of 7   •   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7
Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tinman Runners Update

by Tinman » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:17 pm

Kudos to Brett Smith - placing 4th in the regional 10km xc race in New Zealand (very good improvement!); Jenia Vinogradskiy for setting PRs in the half-marathon, marathon in the spring and then the 10km this past weekend (36 seconds PR); Torre Axelsson for setting another Swedish masters record (age 55) at the Bislett Games in Oslo, Norway (he ran 9:32.86, despite running much too fast early in the race keeping up with much younger runners); Jim Mason for setting a PR (PB) in the 5k (was it 10k too? He's getting faster in his upper 40's!). There may be others too, but I've become so accustom to runner setting personal records/bests that I somehow forget to make it a priority to share their success stories. I should do a better job, I admit! If anyone I've coached has results to share (even if it's not a personal record/best, but it's a good performance for you or the situation was not great but you did a good job of performing well; please share your stories here). The truth is I really love it when runners share their stories. It's inspiring to others, who struggle to move forward when fatigue is present or pressure is knocking at the door. As my good friend says often, we need heroes, or at least people to lift us up and remind us that success is ahead if we persist.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Jim

Re: Tinman Runners Update

by Jim » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:21 am

In spite of not running any faster than CV pace the past 8 months I did set a PB by one second on a solo effort on a miserably cold and windy night over 1500m back in July.  The next day I set a 14sec PB on the track over 5000m (20:26) on a windy, extremely hot and humid day.  And last week I ran a 1:12:06 for 10 miles (really wanted a 69:xx) on a very, very nasty hot and humid morning (dewpoint about 70F), and a recent 33:06 for 8km on the hottest day I can remember.

So I a hoping for some decent weather in September when I have three good shots at cracking the 20min barrier for 5km! 

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Jim -

Thanks for sharing your results. You are getting stronger and your consistent training and desire to improve is paying off!
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:10 pm

Congratulations to Brett Smith, who placed 10th the New Zealand Cross Country Championships (senior 12km race) held in Hamilton, NZ. What a great achievement!

See attached results.
Attachments

[The extension pdf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

kevinm

by kevinm » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:20 pm

Nice job Jim! Its amazing you can set a PR in the 1500 doing mainly CV workouts. Just proves the point that working the endurance side of running is where the money is!!

Kevin

Jim

by Jim » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:15 pm

Thanks Kevin.
I did a 10 x 400m workout the other day @ PR 1500m pace with equal time rest and it felt not too bad, in fact the reps got faster as the workout progressed.  So I know the strength is there and the speed endurance will come out now that Tom has me doing some faster running.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:43 am

Results for Kevin Miller (who will be age 52 in December): He raced af the Leawood Labor Day 5k in Leawood, KS. Kevin set the Kansas state record today. The old record was 16:39 for the 50-54 age group. Here is the link: http://www.kcrunningcompany.com/results ... ow=results
Kevin ran 15:52.5 on a USATF certified 5km course. His splits were 5:05, 5:03, and 5:04 for the first three miles.
Last edited by Tinman on Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

dkggpeters

by dkggpeters » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:57 pm

That is an incredible time that Kevin ran.  Nice consistent splits as well.

kevinm

by kevinm » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:29 am

I'm amazed and intrigued with the new method coach is using to build endurance. Lower mileage, but more frequent sessions of endurance building (all moderate)... pretty cool. We'll see how it progresses into the fall!

Kevin

TexNav

by TexNav » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:24 am

Outstanding racing and coaching!

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:07 pm

Other runners who have been running well:

Javier Ceja, JR, ran 30:36 for 10km on the roads, a PR (personal record/best) (age 25) (grad student) (Topeka, Kansas)
Dr. Jerome Brooks ran 31:54 (age 40) (an English scientist  who lives near Paris)
Jenia Vinogradskiy ran a PR of 33:56 (old PR was 34:33) (a medical physicist in Denver, CO) (age 29)

I know there are others, and I apologize for not remembering everyone.

Have a great day!
Last edited by Tinman on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:49 pm

Congratulations to Tore Axelsson who won a big cross country race in Sweden this weekend. The course was hilly, and Tore ran 28:07, which was faster at the 8km mark than any of the 20-30 year old elite or semi-elite ran when they went past the 8km mark. Tore is age 55. He will run either in Stockholm or Oslo (either the 22nd or 25th) on the track, going for his own National record (either 10,000 m or 5,000 m). He will race in Brazil next month at the World Veterans Association Championships. He won two European Championship race this past winter in Spain (3000m indoors and a cross-country race outdoors a few days later).

For those of you who get injured and feel despair, I want you to know that Tore (just like Kevin Miller) battle injuries too, and they have to rehab, rebuild, and train smarter than they did before. Running is a hard sport - every years 38% of runners have a "significant" injury, according to sports medicine research - but runners never give up. They fight the good fight; they remind themselves of their goals, and then they recommit to the work that lies ahead of them. If they persist, if they never give up, the overcome and succeed!
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

kevinm

by kevinm » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:01 pm

Congrats Tore, very nice racing! I was hoping to make it with you to Brazil, but had other financial obligations arise recently.

I've come to realize, that injuries are part of the race, as we push the endurance limits and experiment with different strategies. You hear a lot about listening to your body, but until you have a context, its hard to know exactly what that means. If we stopped whenever we have any discomfort of some kind, we would never get in shape. I'm learning to process the feedback my body is giving me, and when to adjust the workouts accordingly!  We always have to evaluate our successes and failures to get this all figured out! It requires a lot of patience, and fortitude. It sure helps to have a system and a coach to guide you through the process... I would be lost on my own!

Kevin

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:54 pm

Congratulations to Kevin Miller for setting the Kansas 50+ age
record for 10 km on the road. He ran 33 minutes and 21 seconds.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

dkggpeters

by dkggpeters » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:09 am

Kevin is of fire.  Very nicely done!!!

Next
103 posts   •   Page 1 of 7   •   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7