Tinman Runners Update
A place for participants to post their own, or other racing reports and information. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

105 posts   •   Page 3 of 7   •   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Tinman Runners Update

by Tinman » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:04 pm

Friends -

Below is a link to a NEWS page about the runners I coach. I have been woefully behind due to working on the book, but I am trying to do a better job of keeping on top of the events of my runners. Please let me know if any of you, coached by me or advised by me, have news to share. It's my firm belief that runners tend to like the team atmosphere that they had in high school or college, and by sharing our stories as runners guided by the same coach a feeling of team camaraderie is created. We are all part of the same Tinman team, I am suggesting. Note, Tinman may be my nickname, but the concept of Tinman is bigger than one person. Tinman was the name of the local triathlon in Menonomonie, Wisconsin, where my family is from (in the USA that is). The event brings together many people from the region, and there is a lot of fun, eager athletes, and sharing of time together (during the race and afterward). Many people bond at the race and form good friendships. I liken that to what we achieve together here: bonds and friendships around the sports of running and with a common theme, which is goodwill, support, training, and mentorship. 

http://www.runningprs.com/news.html
Last edited by Tinman on Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:58 pm

Below is the link to the results of the men's 55-59 age group for the World Masters Athletics Championships. Today was the 8 km cross-country race. Tore Axelsson won in 27:21. Great job Tore! He has two more races schedule, the 10,000m on the track and the half-marathon on the road.

http://wma2013portoalegre.blogspot.com. ... l-m55.html

Here is a general video of athletes participating in the Championships:  http://wma2013portoalegre.blogspot.com. ... %C3%ADdeos

From the video you can see the cross-country course was not flat. It looks like a fun course to run, though!

Here is another video of the event: http://wma2013portoalegre.blogspot.com. ... %C3%ADdeos
Last edited by Tinman on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:10 am

Just to show the quality of Tore Axelsson's 8km cross-country running time, I looked up his age-graded equivalent (WAVA score). It's 92.33%. At age 55, his time equals 22:58 if he were 25 years old, basically. Age-graded is technically based on the percent of the world record for one's age. Let's put it this way, using WAVA (the standard), Tore's time is equivalent to 28:28 for 10,000m (on grass). That's quite stellar, don't you think? Tore was a 30 flat 10,000m runner in his 20s, when he ran 120 miles per week and trained hard. He kept getting injured while training with other guys trying to make it to their national and international teams. We have talked about this, and I told him I sure wish I could have coached him in his 20s because I think with my methods and advise he could have reached 27:40s for 10,000m on the track. I truly believe that. I think the same thing about Kevin Miller, who ran an age-graded equivalent time of 13:45 for 5000m on the roads a couple weeks ago and an age-graded 10km road time in September of 28:58. I think Kevin would have run somewhere near 28 minutes had I been blessed with the opportunity to coach him in his 20s or into his early 30s.

I admire these guys a lot. They are truly dedicated, focused, and mentally and spiritually believe in why they run, which is reflected in how they run. If you communicate with either of them, you will notice that they believe they are blessed with gifts that they need to use. They know that time is precious and they need to go after their running with passion. They both lost a lot of years to injuries, building a family and a career, and now they are able to commit to training and racing like never before. When those two get up and 5 or 5:30 am to train, you know they are committed. All the best runners I've coached have that same commitment in common. Andrew Duncan set the USA track on fire, especially indoors like Kevin, and he trained at 5:00 am every morning for an hour or more. He went from 16:36 in the 5km at Carlsbad at age 37 to 15:31 at age 43. He ran 15:22 in another race at that age. He ran his first half-marathon in 1:11 flat in Las Vegas, at 43 and a half years old. I am reminded of the good times we had, as I coached him for 7+ years to running way faster than he did in his teens and 20s. It was a true joy to see him grow fitter, faster, and more confident. By the way, he contacted me today to ask for coaching as he preps for the Las Vegas Marathon. He's been trying to coach himself, using my methods, for the last year or so, and he's been through some rough patches. If he calls this weekend, we'll review his logs, share thoughts, and get the ball rolling again.

My friends, the goal of sharing this post is to inspire you. If you ever thought that you are getting too old to improve, forget about it. Yes, age takes a bite out of you each year, but the one thing that age can never, ever take away from you is passion. The top guys, the ones I just mentioned, all have passion. They are committed too! They know that the road to personal excellence is filled with holes in which they can step and strain their legs and lose momentum, but they never give up. They ride it through, and never lose faith. They don't let themselves get discouraged. They believe in what they are doing. They love / enjoy what they are doing. I hope you do too!

And, even if you are not a masters runner, the same belief system and work ethic that the above men have will work for you too. As an example, I coach Javier Ceja, who lives in Wichita, Kansas. He ran that state record for the half-marathon this past weekend (1:06:51) beating a 3:56 miler/14:00 5 km runner from Kenya in the process. Javier is excited about the future and wants to know how fast he can run at the Houston Half-Marathon this January, his goal race for the winter. I said 65:30 is a good target (5:00 per mile) but we don't know what will happen for sure. We do know that he can train smart, be dedicated, take care of all the details, as I have mentioned often on this website, and continue to have passion, joy, and a firm belief in himself (and in his coach too, which is a key because forming a strategic alliance really makes you stronger/faster/more capable). I see the passion in his words, and I sense his belief system is strong. I see the trend toward greatness he's on. The journey is not short, and it requires continued energy to succeed. Love for what you are doing; love for the gifts you've been given; the freedom to run and the experience of feeling energy; all of these must be held to one's heart, mind, and soul. Never look to the numbers, the results of your race-times for validation, I say. Feel the joy in your heart and let it take you to wherever your destination ends. Enjoy the scenery, enjoy the sunrise and sunset each day, and breathe in the air. That's what it's all about!

http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/age-graded-calculator
Last edited by Tinman on Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:18 pm

Today, Justin Garrard (a University coach), ran 1:10:44 for the half-marathon, a PR for him. It was not an easy course, Justin said, so he's thrilled about the result. Like Javier, his goal is to run the Houston Half-Marathon because it's the USATF Championships race (for half-marathon). That's in January. Justin was 4th in today's race. Just two weeks ago he was sick, all the way to the middle of last week. He basically got back to easy training last weekend. I gave him 50% of normal volume and a couple of fartlek workouts to keep his heart and legs strong. He was on-target today, and we were both surprised that he did so well after the scare of illness last week.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:19 am

An update about Andrew Duncan. We talked for about an hour on the phone today. He's been working toward the Las Vegas Marathon in his hometown. He's been following the Tinman 2-Big Workout method since July, and he's gained a lot of strength and endurance, he said. He ran a mid 16 minute 5km road race in September and 16:05 this morning (Saturday). He's getting stronger. He's at 80 miles per week, which is the volume I prescribed for him for several years when I coached him before, and he raced remarkably well at that level. As many of you might know, I prescribe much slower training paces for easy runs that most coaches, and that is one reason why many of the top guys I coach are able to run more miles per week. I hear all the time from masters runners (that I don't coach) that they can't raise mileage without getting injured. Andrew was one of those. He said that 45 was his limit or else he became injured. Within 3 months he was running 60 per week when I coached him, and after a year he was at 70 per week. Another year later he was at 80 per week and held that pretty much year-round for the next 5 years, except the week of a big/peak race.

I prescribed a training schedule for the next 4 weeks for Andrew, and I am truly excited to see how he does. The marathon is a tough event, and any little thing, like a blister, chafing, cramping, or just plain not having a 100% day is magnified in the result. I tell runners, like Andrew, to train well in the weeks before the race, practice the 2 Big Workout Method, and replicate the course and race demands as much as possible. Practice hydrating, consuming carbs and electrolytes, and so on. It all matters! On race-day, it pays to have the details worked out well in advance, so that you can go on "auto-pilot." The race is hard enough without you having to think a lot about how to eat that morning, warm up, what to wear, how fast to run the first few miles, when to drink fluids, when to consume sports gels, etc. The more you can go on auto-pilot the first 32 km the better you will do, because the last 10 km is where the money is. It's hard the last 10 km, and you have to get to that point without having to think. You must be 'in the zone.'
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Spider Man

by Spider Man » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:13 am

Excellent posts TM ... you're clearly "in the zone" at the moment.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:04 pm

Congratulatios to Jenia Vinogradskiy for setting a personal best of 2:41:15 at the Deroit Free Press Marathon.
He placed 14th.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:33 am

Tore Axelsson, age 56, won his age division (55-59) at the World Masters Athletics Championship for the 8km cross-country race (27:21) last week and this week he won the half-marathon race in 1:17:20 (2:08 ahead of the next best runner). I haven't had a chance to communicate with Tore yet (probably won't until he reaches his home in Sweden this coming week), but I noted he chose not to run the 10,000m track race. My guess is he decided that it would be better to rest for the half-marathon race rather than go into the race tired or potentially injured. I am happy for Tore and proud of him for doing his best in the races!
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:51 am

Jenison High School girls cross-country qualified for the Michigan state championship meet for the first time in 18 years. They are in the big schools division (I) out of four divisions. The top runner for Jenison, Ellie Leonard, placed 2nd overall and had a big personal best, as did all but one of the other runners on the team (Ellie dipped below 18 minutes too, which is really good). The team placed 4th in the toughest regional, and they will have the state meet next week. As of October 22nd, they were not ranked in the top 10 in the state, but if they run a smart race, rather go to the front and run too fast, as they did yesterday at the regional, they are going to surprise a lot of people at the state meet. Actually, I think they are already surprising a lot of people because they were not a contender in the past, but they are now.

By the way, Jenison is near Grand Rapids, MI. I started working with the head coach, Jason Schalk, after track season was over this year, designing a training plan for him. Like other coaches, Jason had worked hard to learn the ins and outs of coaching runners, reading books, like Daniels', etc, and finally decided to get the best help he could find. After reading of the success of another coach and runners in New Jersey (who had the 2nd fastest girl 1600m at the prestigious New Balance Games meet post-season), Jason contacted me and showed great humility by asking for my help. If his girls team slow down the first kilometer of the state meet race, they are going to do well. At this point, they have achieved a lot, since the last time they qualified was 1995, but I believe they should strive to higher goals and will do so by showing self-restraint. I know they are fit, it's just a matter of pacing and emotional control; that is the key to success at the state meet. The hay is in the barn, as my dairy farm family always said; in terms of training to get fitter, it's now about racing smart and with confidence.

Regional Results: http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/game/score/1825345/

Rankings: http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/ ... ichigan/''

(note, they were not ranked last week, but they may be ranked this week, since they qualified for the state meet).
Last edited by Tinman on Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

runthe8

by runthe8 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:33 am

Congratulations, Jason, Tinman, and girls!  Keep us posted. 

efahl

by efahl » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:08 pm

Being a Michigan native, I gotta chime in here.  Woo hoo, good job Tom, Jason and Go Jenison! 

Looking at the rankings, I see "my" kids at Benzie Central are doing pretty well this year (again).  I race against them every 4th of July (my race report from back in olden times: http://www.therunzone.com//viewtopic.php?t=1) and have been thinking of offering up some prize money to the BCXC team if team members beat me on a age-graded basis.  I'll have to get in touch with Coach Kelly there... :)

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:24 am

Cogratations to Allan Phillips for his stellar performance at the a World Speedgolf Championships, where he placed 7th overall, defeating notable runners Bernard Lagat and Nick Willis. Allan was a solid collegiate golfer, by the way!
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:47 pm

Jenison High School team of Michigan placed 11th in the big schools division of the state cross country meet. They were ranked 14th of 28 teams, and they were just 2 points from 10th place. It rained and course a muddy challenge. Times were 30 seconds off, according to coach Chalk. Ellie Coleman - the top runner for Jenison - placed 6th, which Jason said was a very good result. His team ran very well, so he is happy.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:55 pm

Dr Jerome Brooks ran a stellar 10 km time of 31:12 in a big race in Brittany, France. Jerome is a scientist, age 40, who lives near Paris. He is from England originally. The race was at Taule Morlaix.
Last edited by Tinman on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:27 pm

Congratulations to Coach Stan Clark, and his high school teams in Kentucky. The boys and girls teams placed much higher than expected and his top two boys, twins, were the top sophomore (5th and 6th overall). I"ll attached the results tomorrow, when I have time.

Congratulations to Dr. Christine Hackman for running a great 10k. I am proud of her improvement and ability to day-in, day-out train as scheduled. She also communicates with me really well. If she's got a cold, she won't wait to tell me; she's say right away and I can adjust your training so that she recovers faster.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Previous   Next
105 posts   •   Page 3 of 7   •   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7