Tinman Runners Update
A place for participants to post their own, or other racing reports and information. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

103 posts   •   Page 5 of 7   •   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Tinman Runners Update

by Tinman » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:58 pm

Just for a frame of reference, Christian cushing-Murray, who was ahead of Andrew, was an elite runner back in his prime. I know he ran at least 3:38 for 1500m and 3:55 for the mile. Later, I think he ran some fast 5000s. 

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-06-08/ ... ywood-high

For comparison, Andrew ran 1:58 for 800m and I think 3:59 for 1500m in his prime as a collegiate runner. You can see the talent
Last edited by Tinman on Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:29 am

Andrew Duncan ran 4:11.76 for 1500 meters at a track meet at UNLV over the weekend. Andrew is happy with the time, especially since it was windy. Andrew will be age 47 in April.

On Feb 22nd, Matthew Mahoney won the boys 2-mile run (a full 2 miles) in 9:17.02. It was tactical race and he ran a big negative split to win the MA state title. His direct coach, Jeff Bartlett was happy for Matthew. Jeff said that Matthew had won a 2-mile race three weeks in a row in 9:20, 9:15, and 9:17, which is tiring, so Matthew chose to pass on the New England Championships. Being a top student , Matthew needed to catch up on school work anyway. Now it is time to build up for the outdoor season.
Last edited by Tinman on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:33 pm

This morning, Matt Mahoney ran 9:13 for 2-miles at the New Balance indoor national track & field championships. Thats a personal best for Matt!

Yesterday, Coach Justin Garrard (a University coach) ran 14:51 (for 5km) to win a big road race in Kansas City. It was a road best for Justin, and he's excited about it since the weather and course were not conducive to a fast time. He's going to run some track and road races this summer and shoot for big goals.

http://kcrunningcompany.com/results_pho ... ow=results
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:39 pm

Congratulations to Kristoffer Johannson, of Oslo, Norway, who just ran a personal best time of 1:19:51 for personal best in the half-marathon, which he ran today in Copenhagen, Denmark. He contacted me last year and requested personal coaching (www.runningprs.com), and I gladly accepted. He had a best times of 5:07 for 1500m, 37:08 for 10km, and 1:25:36 for the half-marathon. He had a good relative V.O2 max (67.9), as of last September, which meant he had plenty of "horsepower" but his stamina needed work. That is, he wasn't running a high fraction of his VO2 max for the distances he was racing. The good news is Kristoffer is a diligent trainer, and he did all that I asked of him. I emphasized smart training, consistent training, balanced training that doesn't rush the process through too-soon anaerobic work, and building a long run, CV and tempo work, and some hills, striders, fartleks, and races for "spice." I am proud to work with Kristoffer. He's both a good worker and a good man! I really enjoy working with people who have goals, are willing to do the work for them, take advice well, and understand that the process is developmental; any instant success is likely not going to hold, but any success that is build systematically, at a moderate rate, is going to "stick."

If you are like Kristoffer who has an interest in improving, forming a strategic alliance with an experienced and knowledgeable coach, and wants to let someone else do the critical thinking so that you can focus on the demands of training and racing, please consider working with me in the future. My contact information: runfastcoach@gmail.com
My website: www.runningprs.com

Thanks
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:08 pm

It's crazy how little time I have, and I have to make priority choices with my time. My wife is up before 6 and gone by 7 am and doesn't get home from teaching and the after-school program for elementary kids until 5:30 or 6:00 pm. I get my son up, feed him, clothe him, brush his teeth, walk him to school (about 1km), walk back, respond to my client's needs, maybe get in a half-hour of stationary cycling, if I am lucky, walk back to the school, walk back with my son, feed him (over and over and over, he's age 6 and he's hungry every 20 to 30 minutes, just incredible!, clean the house, respond to more client needs, interact (play, teach, spend time) with my son, who has no siblings so I am like an older playmate/brother, and then give my wife the attention she also deserves.

Last week my wife was home for spring break, I had time to actually exercise for 1 hour per day, which I did. I am amazed at how much difference there is between exercising 1 hour per day versus 30 minutes per day. I get so fit with 60 minutes per day of serious training. Honestly, if I had a situation where I could train, I'd be a top 5 masters cyclist in America, I believe. I'm overweight, don't train much, and I can push 410 plus watts for an hour and 437 watts for 20 minutes. My watts per kg ratio is 5.02 to one at VO2 max and 4.23 at my one-hour power. According to Dr. Andy Coggan, a former elite cyclist and researcher, my current numbers put me at the "Very Good" / category 2 level, and that's not accounting for being a 47 year old master. I think I missed my opportunity to be an elite cyclist in my 20s and 30s. I didn't know how good I could be. I should have taken it as a sign, at age 20, when I tested at 68.8 for a Vo2 max and I had only stationary cycled for about 4 weeks, while both of my lower legs were in casts. I remember the lab director telling me I had the ability to be really good, if I trained seriously.

A few years later, while working on my Masters degree in Exercise Science, I tested a guy named Mark Frise, who competed on Pro teams in Europe for many years (he was 3rd in the USA Junior Nationals behind Greg Lemond, who was first place), and he had an incredible VO2 max for a cyclist (84). He pushed an equivalent to 485 watts at Vo2 max. I can push 487 right now, but I am overweight. Most people would say, "You should push a lot more because you have a lot more muscle." I say bogus because I am carrying adipose (fat) weight and only a small amount more muscle than Mark...probably an extra 10 lbs of muscle.  I'm not sure where I am going with this. I think I'm trying to answer my own questions about who I am, what I can do, where I will go in the future.

By the way, several of the runners that I coach have performed really well in races lately. Ron Kochanowicz, a masters runner, has run in the 4:30s for the mile, and he ran 2:06 in the 800m last week as his first outdoor 800m in a long time. He's preparing for the Portland Masters track meet, which is held in early June in a suburb of Portland, Oregon. He's getting very strong!

Michael Merwath placed 3rd overall in a 10 mile race in Austin, Texas, despite being a masters runner.

Others have done very well too. I tend to forget all the accomplishments of my runners because they, to be frank, occur to often that I celebrate their success the weekend that it happens, but by the time the next week rolls around I'm thinking about the next races they will run. Maybe that's my personality - I tend to look forward, tend to set goals and move ahead and not think a lot about the past since, to me, it seems like once it's gone it's gone and I can only do something about the future. That's the goal orientation in me - working today, planning for tomorrow, and expecting breakthroughs with enough concentration, effort, and consistency. I've noticed my own achievements over the years, and I've noticed the athletes and students that I've guided, and in all cases the key factor was doing the right work (or training) consistently and systematically, and not stopping too soon.

I can't tell you how many people have contacted me over the years and said they had fallen short of their goals, of their potential, and they almost quit the sport, but they thought maybe they might take just one more try and work with me. Often, as I analyzed their results, I noticed that the training was not well planned - haphazard it was, more or less - or the training was just too hard for too many weeks in a row and eventually something fell apart. As soon as I take over and create a training schedule that balances training, covers all the key areas, systematically moves the runner in cycles forward toward their goals, the results change. They improve and find that their body's had more in them, more room for improvement, than once thought possible. It's so very hard as a serious runner to reach one's potential because injuries, setbacks, illnesses, chronic fatigue, result from improper training. Runners doubt themselves after a while. "Do I have what it takes to run fast? Do I have any room left for improvement? Am I just not mentally tough enough? I think the problem is the method and system they use to train, not whether they have room left for improvement. Even elite runners, who theoretically should be closer to their limits of potential due to the immense about of training they have done over the years, have room for improvement in most cases.

For example, I've been thinking about Leo Manzano, the talented 800-1500m runner from Texas. He's won a medal at the world level, but he's not been consistent in his performance. He's been struggling the last two years, and I know he's doubting himself. I think he's just not training right; that's the reason he's struggling, not for a lack of toughness or resolve. He's committed; he's focused; he sacrifices, and he surrounds himself with other elite runners with whom he can train, yet he's still not where he could be. I am a big fan of Leo, and I cheer fro him when I see him race, but it makes me sad that he's not getting what he needs to succeed at a higher level. I see no reason that he couldn't be top 3 in the world every year. Same goes for other runners out there.

I guess this is my BlogSpot post for today. I don't get many opportunities to share my thoughts, but today I just want to reach out to our community of runners and coaches tell you to keep plugging away; keep fighting the good fight; believe in yourself; find your niche; and train smarter than ever before; you'll reach that next higher level, just don't give in or give up!

Tinman
Tom Schwartz
www.runningprs.com
Last edited by Tinman on Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

BoilerTom90

by BoilerTom90 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:14 pm

Great "blog" post Tom. I always enjoy reading the things you write!
And, thanks so much for all you do for the athletes you coach, and the ones that benefit from the advice you give on TRZ.

Tom

dkggpeters

by dkggpeters » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:30 pm

Tom,

It has been a true pleasure working with you.  That is why I hired you as a coach as I wanted to see what I was capable of before I ran out of time.  I know that you will help tremendously in getting me there.

I feel your frustration as especially with cycling, it takes a huge time commitment and sometimes the time is just not there.  You should try a carve out at least an hour a day and see where it takes you.

Dave

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:30 pm

I remembered another result that I want to report. Andrew Duncan placed 4th overall at the prestigious Carlsbad 5km road race in 15:35, which is his best age-graded time ever at the race (he's just shy of age 47).

Actually, based on how fast he's running in training this week, with ease, I'd say Carlsbad was a rust-buster for him. I think he'd run faster this weekend, if were on the schedule.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:41 pm

Results from this past week for my runners:

Coach Justin Garrard ran 14:39 for the 5,000m on the track, which is a lifetime best.

Ron Kochanowicz (age 42) ran 4:17 for 1500m. He's preparing for the Master's 1-mile race in early June in Portland, Oregon. Ron is racing well this year!

David Peters (age 50), ran 2:44:52 at the Boston Marathon. I'll ask Dave, but I think it was a masters PR (personal record) for him. Really a steady, strong race performance for Dave!

Dean Lipp (age 53) ran 3:03:59 at the Boston Marathon. I am impress, considering how tough the winter was in Montana, as he prepared for Boston. I'll have to ask Dean, but I think that's a masters PR for him.

Michael Merwarth (age 41) ran 3:09:55. I think that was a PR for Mike.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As some of you know, I write workouts for coaches who hire me. I commend them for making the decision to want more for their athletes. I figure that coaches spend a lot of money going to coaching clinics, why not spend the money to hire me to guide them through a season or two and see how my training works. The first-hand experience of working with me can be highly educational - far more than they would ever get at a coaching clinic! One coach that I work with is Robert Groves of Sacramento, California. His two athletes for whom I write workouts set big PRs over the weekend. Kyle ran in the 1600m first, running 4:30 with splits of 2:18 and 2:12. I don't think it was a PR, but close. He then raced the 3200m and ran a huge PR. His 9:33 time was a 22 second personal best. Way to go Kyle!  Sarah ran a great 3200m race (setting personal best by a lot) in 11:01. Great job for both athletes! Great job Coach Groves!
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:52 pm

Dave Peters (dkpeters) just emailed to say he is pleased with his result, which is a PR (personal record) by 2:40.  I hope he can share his story on our website. It's a good one! Just think he could barely run last fall, and now, after we worked together just 3 months he ran 2:44:52 in the marathon at age 50, and it's a lifetime best!
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

dkggpeters

by dkggpeters » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:36 am

Tinman,

Thanks. I am very happy with my result as I was in bad shape at the end of last year. I went a little to fast in the first half taking a chance and which probably cost me a minute or two. I had to go to Florida right afterwards on business so I haven't had a chance to post anything yet. I will do a write up about my race and my challenges from last year and post tomorrow.

Dave

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:23 pm

An update on two runners that I coach:

Coach Justin Garrard (William Jewel College in Kansas) ran a big PR (personal record) in the 10,000m yesterday at the Drake Relays. He ran 30:19.32. His previous PR was set last May at 31:08. I started coaching Justin 16 months ago. He has set several big PRs during that time, despite the fact that he'd been training hard and serious for more many years. His results since we've worked together demonstrate that smarter training beats harder training 90% of the time, as I always say.

http://results.deltatiming.com/tf/2014- ... 140423F030

Ron Kochanowicz (age 43, I believe), ran a great season best of 2:04.98 in the 800m in the Master's race at the Drake Relays. Way to go Ron! He's on a mission to run as fast as possible in Portland, Oregon at the masters mile. We have set the goal of getting his 800m time down, so that his 1-mile time is faster. He's been working on stamina for the last 2-3 years, so I think he's solid there, but his current training still includes plenty of stamina work, which must never be ignored, in my opinion.
To provide a comparison, the winner of the race, Lance Elliott who ran 2:03.50, was a Division I runner at Iowa State and ran close to 4 minutes in the mile, as I recall. Ron was a non-scholarship runner in college with a best of 1:58, back in the day.
http://results.deltatiming.com/tf/2014- ... 140423F200
Last edited by Tinman on Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Sun May 18, 2014 3:36 pm

I coach runners both directly and indirectly (through their team coaches).

Jenia Vinogradskiy ran a best by 40 seconds in a 5-mile race three weeks ago in Cherry Creek, Colorado, and then ran a best by 25 seconds in the 5k yesterday (his old best was 16:20, set last year, and he ran 15:55 yesterday). Jenia is a good example of someone who understood that having a good coach can make a big difference. Prior to my coaching him, he ran about 80 miles per week, and when I started coaching him I kept in in the 70 to 80 mile per week range, with a couple of 85 mile weeks prior to marathons, and he's improved dramatically in the last two years. He's set about 11 personal records in the last two years. You'd think think that someone who his running 80 miles per week for a few years would have no room for improvement, but it's not true. Even with no more mileage, he's improving because he's following a better training schedule, and I guide him on the details about how to do workouts and how to race (including pre-and-post-race activities, which truly matter).

Phil Young, who's trained with me a couple of years, ran one of his best-ever half-marathons, about 3 weeks ago. He's age 52 and ran 1:29:01, and it was a trail race, which are normally slower. Great job Phil!

Murthy Ganesh ran his personal best time in the 10k today. He's been training with me for three years. Imagine running a lifetime best 10k race in your 50s!!! Wow!

Coach Robert Grove's athletes are doing great in Sacramento, despite the brutal heat (100 degrees F lately). Kyle Chun set his lifetime bests in the 1600m and 3200m recently, running 4:25 and 9:32. His old bests were 20 and 50 seconds slower before this season. Sarah Anderson has improved dramatically in the 3020m, having dropped from over 12 minutes before this year to 11:06. Both have fared well in big track meet recently too. Both won their conference meets this weekend. Kyle won the 1600m in 4:26, despite the heat, and paced a teammate, while running an "easy" 10 minutes for 3200m. The boys paced 1-2 in the 1600 and 3200. Sarah and her teammates placed 1,2, and 3 in the girls 1600m event. Way to go, Coach and athletes!

Coach Jeff Bartlet out near Boston, has been guiding Matt, who ran 9:13 indoors for the 2-mile and was the state champion. He has improved by over half a minute since last year in the 2-mile (3200m+) and is racing today in a delayed meet, due to lightning/storms. He's targeting June racing for a peak. He's won several big track meet races this spring, in the 3200 and 1600m. Several of Jeff's athletes, using a modified plan from what Matt uses, have set big-time personal records and have competed well in races, relative to their competition and much better than what his athletes did last year.

Coach Dave Burns, in New Jersey, has full responsibilities for the team, not just the distance events. His girls' team is performing well, though not deep in talent. Josette Norris is rolling along healthy now and doing solid workouts. He lost momentum after cross-country season with an injury to her foot, which was related to an ankle injury last year during track. She also had some muscle imbalances, which required 2 weeks of therapy and minimal training in March/April. Josie and her teammates will be racing the conference meet this week, so we'll get an idea where she is. The goal is to run well in June, when the state meet, New Balance nationals, and the USATF meets are run. Dave's got another female athlete, using the Tinman training method, who is racing well, so that's good news. The key is consistently doing the right training, being patient, and trusting the process. That's not easy to do, and tries one at times, but it works out really well.

I have advised Coach Ron Grigg of Jacksonville University for several years. His athletes have been racing really well in track. One gal set the school record for 10,000m at the Penn Relays. Actually, she crushed the school record. Last year I helped Coach Grigg with 800m training, and he had two gals improve dramatically and run 2:04 and 2:06, making it to the big show (NCAA Division I nationals, which was held in Eugene, Oregon at Hayward Field on the campus of the University of Oregon). I am excited to see how his athletes do at the NCAA regional met.

Andrew Duncan has run some good races, and he ran a fast half-marathon on a hilly course a month ago. Sadly he caught the flu and missed out on racing at the Occidental meet in California, in the 5000m, which was a goal race for him. There will be other races. Now he has to navigate through a brutally hot summer (he lives in Las Vegas, so it's regularly 100 to 115 degrees F). Andrew runs at 4:45 or 5:00 a.m. due to work and family obligations/needs, so he only has to run in 90-100 degree weather most of the time. Not easy, but he does it. Hydration becomes a big factor. Andrew will be targeting some big fall races. We'll figure out if a half-marathon or marathon will be the goal for late fall.
Last edited by Tinman on Tue May 20, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Tue May 20, 2014 5:35 pm

Coach Bartlett just told me that Matt, his top runner, ran 9:13 for a full 2-miles indoors this winter, not 9:16, so I updated the previous post. He told me some more. Matt is a senior, who has run for him throughout high school. Matt ran 4:36 last year in the 1600m. Therefore, his 2-mile PR pace this year, so far, is equal to his 1-mile pace last year. That's sure a lot of improvement! By the way, Coach said that Matt has basically no speed, so coach is very surprised that Matt just ran a 4:17 split in the Distance Medley Relay for 1600m, and matt was out in 63, so a little quick. So, Matt just ran 19 seconds faster than last year in the 1600m, when he was a junior.

Coach also said that many other runners on the team are setting big PRs. He has a freshman boy who just ran 4:46 for the 1600m. He has 3 boys running under 10 minutes in the 2-mile, and the big meets are yet to happen. Very cool!
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

BoilerTom90

by BoilerTom90 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:35 pm

[quote="Tinman"]
Coach Bartlett just told me that Matt, his top runner, ran 9:13 for a full 2-miles indoors this winter, not 9:16, so I updated the previous post. He told me some more. Matt is a senior, who has run for him throughout high school. Matt ran 4:36 last year in the 1600m. Therefore, his 2-mile PR pace this year, so far, is equal to his 1-mile pace last year. That's sure a lot of improvement! By the way, Coach said that Matt has basically no speed, so coach is very surprised that Matt just ran a 4:17 split in the Distance Medley Relay for 1600m, and matt was out in 63, so a little quick. So, Matt just ran 19 seconds faster than last year in the 1600m, when he was a junior.

Coach also said that many other runners on the team are setting big PRs. He has a freshman boy who just ran 4:46 for the 1600m. He has 3 boys running under 10 minutes in the 2-mile, and the big meets are yet to happen. Very cool!
[/quote]

wow, 9:13 is considered "no speed".  I think my son would chuckle at that!  Congrats to Coach Bartlett and his runners for  their fine season and trusting the training!

Previous   Next
103 posts   •   Page 5 of 7   •   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7