Asbel Kiprop: Le Freak
A place for participants to post their own, or other racing reports and information. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dilluh

Asbel Kiprop: Le Freak

by dilluh » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:49 pm

It's hard to wrap my mind around someone that thin being that fast. I mean, look at his calf muscles. I realize that miler speed does not necessarily require muscle bulk but wow, he must have some seriously good coordination to whip those stilts around as efficiently as he does. His power-to-weight ratio must be through the roof.

https://youtu.be/BpcP3CAfGUI

Jim

Re: Asbel Kiprop: Le Freak

by Jim » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:50 pm

Insane how easy he made that look.
Gotta say though I was getting an adrenaline rush watching them duke it out on the back stretch. The last 300m of any middle distance race is where I find Jesus. That bear on your back, running fast, saving a little for the last 200, hammering the home stretch, maybe nipping a guy at the line.....you can keep the marathon, man, give me a 1500m race any day!

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Asbel Kiprop: Le Freak

by Tinman » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:42 pm

Actually, having small calf muscles is a huge advantage for runners - less weight to bring through the range of motion. Research shows that smaller calf muscles = better running economy (meaning less oxygen cost to run a given pace/speed/velocity).

Jim, my teammate in college placed 2nd at the National Cross-Country Championships for Division III ,and easily capable of being a top-25 in Division I (the 1st place runner who beat my teammate placed 11th in the Division I meet just 2 days after the Division 1 meet/championships). He often complained about his puny (small) calf muscles: no matter what he did for strength training the muscles would not get bigger. I thought about it and also noticed that 6 of our top 7 distance runners (out of 45 on the team) all had small calf muscles. Coincidence? I think not!

Tinman
coaching available
runfastcoach@gmail.com
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1