Tom Bernhard
A place for participants to post their own, or other racing reports and information. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tom Bernhard

by Tinman » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:25 pm

I have lots of runners who set PR's (PB's) each month, but I prioritize my time on teaching, coaching, and my doctoral studies. However, I felt today I better acknowledge Tom Bernhard, who I have really enjoy working with since last winter. He set yet another American masters record; this time by 41 seconds. Below is the link.

http://www.runnersworld.com/masters/one ... harebutton
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Racerdb

Re: Tom Bernhard

by Racerdb » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:44 pm

This is just another testimony to proving Tinman's methods work! I was also able to successfully repeat as the 55-59 age group winner in Syracuse under Toms guidance. I know the plan very well now after two years and It works! But something needs to be done about going out way too fast in races when we all should know better. I was running with my much younger training partner (Chris) and we both had our Garmins on so we knew where what our pace was. We both wanted to go out no faster than 5:25 or so. We caught Tom Bernhard right at the mile...I think all of us were a few ticks either side of 5:19. We caught Fred Zolakar just past the mile, who was leading the AG at the time. I told Chris lets just sit here on his heels a minute and back off a tad, We're too fast. We did for a few seconds but then it was game back on. We really pushed the 2nd mile (stupidly) in 5:17. I was fried with 800 to go; Tom B was in a bad way too. Chris hung on for a 16:44, I faded to 16:54, Tom was what, 17:29? I was only able to come up with a 5:44 last mile.

I can't help but wonder what could have been had we all gone out at 5:25-5:28 and not sabotaged our races in the first mile? I'm sure Tom would have been close to 17:10. There's no doubt in my mind I would have been with Chris in the low 16:40's.

Oh well, coulda, woulda, shoulda right?

kevinm

Re: Tom Bernhard

by kevinm » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:11 pm

Congrats to both Tom and Dave! There is something about that course... I had the same experience, a fast 1st mile and then a little slower for each of the last two.

Kevin

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1