Supplements
A place for participants to share personal training logs, as well as training plans and ideas. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

23 posts   •   Page 2 of 2   •   1, 2
BoilerTom90

Re: Supplements

by BoilerTom90 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:42 am

Thanks, Ron!

Linus

by Linus » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:17 pm

I use spinach every other week (500-700g during 2-3 days) I think it helps my performance very much

Captainblood

by Captainblood » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:47 am

Been using coconut oil in my coffee for many months.  It tastes good and is a few extra calories.  Can't tell you if it helps, but it doesn't hurt.

Besides protein powder, flax seed, and chia seeds in my smoothies I take a multiple vitamin and fish oil tablets daily.  I also use apple cider vinegar in my water frequently.

Looked into beta alanine.  Research seems solid.  Anyone have any strong opinions one way or the other?

dilluh

by dilluh » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:19 pm

I wanted to add another data point to this thread. Today I took a tablespoon of virgin coconut oil about 3 hours before my 20 mile long run. Everything else was held constant from last week: same crappy weather, same amount of sleep, more-or-less the same meal the night before, same wakeup/evac routine and basically the same running route. I normally wake up 3 hours before my alarm goes off to go to the bathroom, so on the last 3 long runs I have used that time to eat a small bowl of plain oatmeal and go back to bed. Last night I just stirred in the tablespoon of coconut oil into the oatmeal.

The first 2/3 of the long run felt basically the same. It was the last 1/3, which included some MP miles, where I noticed that my legs felt a little more solid than they usually did at that point. I was still breathing the same as I usually do but there was a significant difference in comfort level at MP for that last 1/3 of the long run. I realize this is just one data point, but there it is and it's about as controlled for other factors as I could've reasonably done. There's always a possibility that I've made a jump in fitness within the last week but my other runs during the past week would not support that idea, i.e., they felt about the same as the previous week.

shug

by shug » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:49 pm

Dilluh, do you fuel (i.e., gels/drinks/water) during your long runs?

Historically, I have never carried gels or chews during a marathon. I am curious if this is a wise strategy. As you know, the TC marathon gives one gel around mile 17. I'm not sure if that is enough for an optimal performance. And... I get nervous about drinking too much sports drink that they provide along the course.
Last edited by shug on Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoilerTom90

by BoilerTom90 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:10 pm

[quote="shug"]

Historically, I have never carried gels or chews during a marathon. I am curious is this is a wise strategy. As you know, the TC marathon gives one gel around mile 17. I'm not sure if that is enough for an optimal performance. And... I get nervous about drinking too much sports drink that they provide along the course.
[/quote]

In my only 3 successful marathons (didn't bonk at all) I carried my own fuel. I emptied about 4 gels in a 6oz bottle, added some extra electrolyes, and some hornet juice, and topped it with water. Every 30 minutes I take a swig from this bottle right before an aid station. At the aid station, I only take water.

What I've learned with fueling during the marathon is that you better start taking it long before you think you need it.

dilluh

by dilluh » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:04 pm

[quote="shug"]

Historically, I have never carried gels or chews during a marathon. I am curious if this is a wise strategy. As you know, the TC marathon gives one gel around mile 17. I'm not sure if that is enough for an optimal performance. And... I get nervous about drinking too much sports drink that they provide along the course.
[/quote]

I don't do any fueling besides during the long run but I do take in plenty of water. I plan on doing a test run during next weekend's long run with gels as they have worked well for me in the past - I just squirt it down quickly and chase it with water as I don't generally like the taste of syrupy gatorade in my mouth. I've always had a bit of a touchy stomach so I've also been taking notes on what does and doesn't work as far as dinner the night before a long run and early AM top up (the plain oatmeal works well for me).

I think BoilerTom is right - getting in some of those calories earlier rather than later is probably the best way to go about it. By mile 17 you're not giving yourself much time to absorb/use that fuel before the race is pretty much over.

fenney

by fenney » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:51 am

Who here uses pre work out pumps with their training and racing? I use Jack3d gives you an excellent pump, beta alanine (lactic buffer), creatine monohydrates to fuel the muscles and its very high in caffine which is great for getting you going... but avoid the post ride coffee, caffine overdose is not a pleasant experience I know first hand! Does anyone else use Jack3d, how do you find it? What else do people use?

Previous
23 posts   •   Page 2 of 2   •   1, 2