Sub 20, sub 90 and sub 40 in 2018
A place for participants to share personal training logs, as well as training plans and ideas. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Flaskpastorn

Sub 20, sub 90 and sub 40 in 2018

by Flaskpastorn » Sun May 13, 2018 9:29 am

Hi everyone

Found out about Tinman training on letsrun.com, which led me to this wonderful forum.
I'm a 31 y.o from Sweden, trying to set some PB's in 2018 and I thought i would share my training. I've been running for a few years, and have been "serious" about it in the last year and a half or so.
Discovered Tinman style training in June 2017. Went from a 1:52 HM / 52 min 10k in may 2017 to a 1:36 HM in October and a 42 min 10k in December. I was extremely pleased with this development.
I recently came off a very unsuccessful marathon cycle (Jack Daniels 2Q) which was plagued with injuries and ended in a big fat DNF. Trying to do too much too soon I guess. Ridiculous to try to train for a marathon off a 30 MPW base, eh?

Now I'm back on Tinman training, focusing on shorter distances with the goal of running a sub 20 5k in September, a sub 90 HM in October and a sub 40 10k in December.

So here's the base training I'm doing now (plan on doing this until the end on July). Note that I run to work on all weekdays (one way only), which is a 20 minute commute. Then I do my PM session after I get home. So I'm doubling all weekdays.

Mon: Fartlek 6 x 2 min CV + 4 x 30 sek mile pace (or similar workout)
Tue: 30-45 min easy
Wed: 30-45 min easy + hills sprints (3 x 8 sec right now)
Thu: Tempo run (usually 30-40 minute Tinman tempo or 3-4 x 1500 meter at Daniels T-pace)
Fri: 30-45 min easy
Sat: 75 - 90 min long run
Sun: Off

I usually end up around 45 MPW. I'm trying to listen to my body and not count the milage until after the week, but I'm hoping to be consistent at 50 MPW by the end of the summer. 60 MPW would be even better :)

My thought is to start getting a bit more specific by august and do a 2 week cycle as I've seen in other Tinman threads. Some feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking about doing something like this:

Week 1:
Mon: CV-reps 4-5 x 1k + 4 x 30 sec mile pace (or similar workout)
Thu: Fartlek 30 sec - 3 min in 3k to 10k-pace (emphasis depending on next race)
Sat: 90 - 120 min long run (tempo finish if I'm feeling it)

Week 2:
Mon: CV-reps 4-5 x 1k + 4 x 30 sec mile pace (or similar workout)
Thu: Some kind of tempo run
Sat: 90 - 120 min long run or 5-10k RACE (in which case I would skip the tempo)

So first I would have 6 weeks after base training before my goal 5k race. Then 5 weeks before my goal HM. Then finally 7 weeks before my goal 10k race which is my top priority. I thought maybe it would be a good idea to shift the focus of my workouts depending on my next goal race. Or would I be better served to just train for the 10K?
I really do enjoy CV-reps and fartleks but perhaps I would be better served to do race specific every week instead, and alternate between tempos and CV-reps on the other day?
Any input would be appreciated. Do you think my goals are doable, or am I dreaming?

Big thanks to Tinman and everyone on this forum. This really is a great place.
//Flask

Flaskpastorn

Re: Sub 20, sub 90 and sub 40 in 2018

by Flaskpastorn » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:26 am

Just a quick update. I've been continuing with my base training, but with a little bit more work at mile pace. I had a mile race last weekend and managed 5:40.5. Decided to run a 5k time trial today on the track and ran 19:32 (with a strong headwind down one straight). So it would seem that my modest workouts is still paying off. Happy with my development and I'd say sub 90 and sub 40 is looking good.

I've decided to simplify my training after the base training. I'll be doing a tempo workout each week, and alternate CV intervals with faster or more race specific work. Keep it simple stupid.

Cheers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1