Last efforts at 5k before kiddo arrives
A place for participants to share personal training logs, as well as training plans and ideas. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dilluh

Last efforts at 5k before kiddo arrives

by dilluh » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:45 pm

I've got a 5k race tomorrow morning and after this one I'll have one or maybe two more chances at the 5k before my wife is due.

The weather is shaping up to be about perfect. Below is what I've done since my last rust-buster 5k (17:49) 5 weeks ago. HS XC season is over so sometimes this monthly race brings in some off-season HS runners for the December edition which can make for good chase. Everything has been feeling good and I'm "on top" of every single session with zero hiccups along the way. I've noticed that I'm recovering from the 5k-paced sessions better/quicker than I have in the past so that is a positive sign. The 3x1600 @ 5k pace workout was definitely the hardest of any of these, the Monday TT sessions have been the most enjoyable of late and my standard pre-race LT/hill/LT session felt like a dream this Wednesday. My first race as a 34 year old - all systems go.

5k race
rest
6 mi: easy
5 mi: easy
8 mi: easy progression run
10 mi: easy progression run
rest
9 mi: 30 min @ TT
4.5 mi: very easy
9 mi: 3x1600 @ 5k pace (5:42, 5:41, 5:40) w/ 2 min jog + 4x200 @ mile pace w/ 400 jog
11 mi: v.easy/easy long run
rest
9.5 mi: 35 min @ TT
5 mi: very easy
7 mi: easy
10 mi: CV workout (5x1000 w/ 1 min jog + 4x200 @ mile pace w/ 400 jog)
12.5: easy/moderate long run
rest
9.2 mi: 40 min @ TT
6.2 mi: easy
8.5 mi: (4x1000 @ 5k w/ 2 min jog + 4x200 @ mile pace w/ 400 jog)
12.3: easy/moderate long run
rest
8 mi: include 1.5 mi LT + 5x50m hills at 5k pace + 1.5 mi LT
4 mi: easy
5 mi: easy + strides

dilluh

Re: Last efforts at 5k before kiddo arrives

by dilluh » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:22 pm

The 5k this morning went really well. The weather was about as perfect as it could be and there was a good pack to race with up front. First mile went by in about 5:35 with a pack of four of us. At about 1.5 miles myself and one other runner put in a surge and broke the two other runners. I took the lead at 2 miles with another surge. At this point I realized that this guy was quite fit as I could barely notice any strain in his breathing and I felt like I was being toyed with. I gapped him by about 10 yards at 2 miles, he surged right up behind me in the next quarter mile, I surged back for another 10 yard gap, he came back again, and again I surged. He made one more push with 400m to go, went around me and I didn’t have any more to respond with and he took it in for a 17:15 (I think) to my 17:22. Really, really fun race to be in. It felt great to be able to respond to surges late in the race. Now I am itching to just go time trial a 5k on the track in about 2 weeks to see how low I can go. I’m almost certain that I’m in PR shape right now with more even pacing and I’m fairly sure I can push myself hard in a solo effort as my racing PR (17:19) was essentially a time trial as I led it start to finish. Any thoughts on my idea to solo time trial the 5k in two weeks? I have one more race in mid-January (4 weeks from now) and then baby arrives mid-February.

Ron
Administrator
Administrator

by Ron » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:09 pm

Great Race dilluh!
Good luck with the newest family addition!

Happy Holidays!
-Ron
Admin
TheRunZone.com is brought to you by: Xtreme Multimedia Marketing
A leader in Responsive Website Technologies

Captainblood

by Captainblood » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:33 pm

Great race (and description).

Looks like you are using Tinman Tempos and CVs pretty exclusively. Is 5 x 1000 your standard workout for CVs? Have you ever experimented with more reps?

I'm not sure the point of a solo time trial unless you just want to prove your fitness. The reason I stay away from time trials is because I find very hard running increases my chance of injury and I need extra recovery. But it looks like you did very little in terms of peaking workouts so it might be a good rustbuster for you.

That 3 x 1 mile at 5k pace with 2 minutes rest is impressive. You may be recovering from your 5k paced workouts better because it might not be your 5k pace anymore. I used to hurt for a few days after 5k paced reps and now I find I am fine (even with more volume). I hope it is because I am fitter.

Looking forward to your next update.

dilluh

by dilluh » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:18 pm

I could certainly add a rep or two to the CV workout and still be within limits based on my 5k time. Not sure why I haven't bumped up that workout... Good suggestion.

The week after a Saturday 5k race I typically only do one workout on Thursday and this week (Christmas morning) I did 6x(5 min LT / 2.5 min very easy) and it felt like one of the easiest and most enjoyable workouts I've done in a while - just completely on top of it and feeling strong all the way through. I've shied away from LT stuff lately because I did a boat-load of it during my marathon buildup this summer but I feel like I'm hitting a wall with Tinman tempos right now as they are getting up toward the limit of how long I want to be running at that pace in a single workout. I'm feeling like a change of stimulus is needed - perhaps the Monday "tempo" workout will be long hill reps at approximately easy tempo pace. As for the Thursday "fast" session, I'm torn between repeating the 3x1 mile @ 5k workout or doing a 3200m under-distance time trial this week. Captainblood, I think your advice is probably well heeded - I don't think I'll attempt the solo 5k effort on the track. Not sure what I'll be improving by doing it unless I did PR in a solo effort, which I'd sadistically be pretty excited about. ;)

I'm wondering, which is harder: 3x1600 @ 5k pace w/ 2 min jog or 3200m time trial?

Captainblood

by Captainblood » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:44 am

Now that you feel like you have maxed out in threshold you can turn your attention to increasing the CV reps. I did it throughout the course of the year and increased from 5 to 7 reps of 1000s at CV with a minute recovery. I am now at my limit there as well.

Tom (and others) obviously believes this pace gives you the most bang for the buck, but I was reading some old letsrun threads and he seemed to indicate that research showed you get double the stimulus from time spent at threshold. Not sure if he is still on board with this, but 20 to 25 minutes of CV work should be quite the stimulus (especially if you have been emphasizing threshold).

dilluh

by dilluh » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:37 pm

I ran my last pre-kid race today. Below is the month’s training leading up to it. I’ve been hit with cedar and mold allergies very hard this month so I felt the 17:35 I ran today (13 seconds slower than last month) was pretty good for not being able to breathe all that well.

Waiting for baby now and de-structuring my running for the foreseeable future: back to “big-two” with very-easy runs on non-workout days. Everything time-based for now - no track work and the workouts are typically going to be on the lower end of the stamina scale.

To be honest, I’m a bit burned out on the 5k as a race distance anyway. Looking forward to the change of pace (literally and figuratively) and even more-so, looking forward to meeting my daughter.

5k race: 17:22, 2nd place
rest
7.5 mi: easy
8.8 mi: easy
8.8 mi: 6x(5 min LT + 2:30 jog)
4 mi: very easy
12.3 mi: easy long run
rest
rest (allergies terrible)
8 mi: easy
9 mi: 3200m time trial
13 mi: easy long run
rest
9 mi: hill fartlek at MP
9 mi: 6x1000 CV w/ 1 min jog + 3x200 fast w/ 400 jog
12 mi: easy/moderate long run
rest
9 mi: include 10 min LT + 5x50m hills at 5k pace + 10 min LT
4 mi: very easy
3 mi: easy
5k race: 17:35, 3rd place

Agrad04

by Agrad04 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:58 am

dilluh wrote:I've got a 5k race tomorrow morning and after this one I'll have one or maybe two more chances at the 5k before my wife is due.

The weather is shaping up to be about perfect. Below is what I've done since my last rust-buster 5k (17:49) 5 weeks ago. HS XC season is over so sometimes this monthly race brings in some off-season HS runners for the December edition which can make for good chase. Everything has been feeling good and I'm "on top" of every single session with zero hiccups along the way. I've noticed that I'm recovering from the 5k-paced sessions better/quicker than I have in the past so that is a positive sign. The 3x1600 @ 5k pace workout was definitely the hardest of any of these, the Monday TT sessions have been the most enjoyable of late and my standard pre-race LT/hill/LT session felt like a dream this Wednesday. My first race as a 34 year old - all systems go.

5k race
rest
8 mi: easy progression run
10 mi: easy progression run
rest
9 mi: 30 min @ TT
9 mi: 3x1600 @ 5k pace (5:42, 5:41, 5:40) w/ 2 min jog + 4x200 @ mile pace w/ 400 jog
11 mi: v.easy/easy long run
rest
9.5 mi: 35 min @ TT
7 mi: easy meilleur crédit
10 mi: CV workout (5x1000 w/ 1 min jog + 4x200 @ mile pace w/ 400 jog)
12.5: easy/moderate long run
rest
9.2 mi: 40 min @ TT
6.2 mi: easy
8.5 mi: (4x1000 @ 5k w/ 2 min jog + 4x200 @ mile pace w/ 400 jog)
12.3: easy/moderate long run
rest
8 mi: include 1.5 mi LT + 5x50m hills at 5k pace + 1.5 mi LT
4 mi: easy
5 mi: easy + strides

Congratulations, you made it

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1