Cain/Rupp post race workouts
A place for participants to post topics about anything including topics not related to running.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bobbyg

Cain/Rupp post race workouts

by bobbyg » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:45 pm

I am new to the forum, and new to being coached by Tinman....Very much enjoying it so far.  Just watched the WOW on Flotrack this morning of Mary Cain's post mile workout last weekend.  Can't help but wonder how long this young lady can do this type of work?  First, I'm sure there are benefits for what they were trying to accomplish.  I have my kids run the 4x400 at the end of a track meet to work on speed when tired.  I also think there is a time and place for adding extra work at the end of a race.  But for a high school senior to run a 4:24 mile, 3-mile tempo at 5:40 pace, then a 600-400-300-200 on top of that?  Maybe I wonder if that was for the camera?  Just an interesting thing to watch, and I'm sure others have opinions?

BoilerTom90

Re: Cain/Rupp post race workouts

by BoilerTom90 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:16 pm

I just watched the flottrack video of their workout. I thought it funny when Salazar told Cain "run 5:30 pace... 3 miles..."  She had an odd look on her face puzzled look, and then said something to the affect, "I've never done something like that before."  Then proceeded to nail the workout.

I can't speak to the whether the workouts are good or not. All I know is she's a heck of a talent, regardless of her age.

Rupp's workout was even more amazing.

ap4305

Re: Cain/Rupp post race workouts

by ap4305 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:15 pm

I just can't believe that 56 laps on the indoor track at close to 4 flat pace can be a good thing (Rupp). 

Also find it ironic that they do a lot of speed work on grass when in Portland, paying particular attention to staying healthy (off the track), but its then OK to run make over 100 sharp left turns in those tiny indoor arenas in spikes?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1