Heart Rate Monitors
A place for participants to post topics about anything including topics not related to running.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Browatt

Heart Rate Monitors

by Browatt » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:07 pm

Looking for a simple heart rate monitor. Anyone have one they like; or a model to avoid? Also, has anyone tried a HR monitor that detects HR at the wrist instead of using a chest strap? If so, did it work? Thanks and Happy Holidays.

Texjd

Re: Heart Rate Monitors

by Texjd » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:44 am

I've used Polar and Garmin HRM's in the past and I'm sure there are other companies which make a good product. I've never used a product which measures at the wrist. There are so many options out there that I'm sure you'll find one to meet your needs.

dkggpeters

by dkggpeters » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:23 pm

DC Rainmaker has done a couple of reviews on the wrist HR monitors. I remember someone saying that you have to wear it pretty tight and that their hand went numb.

I think Polar makes the best HR monitors that tend to be the most reliable and don't spike and/or drop as much as some of the others. I use a Garmin 920XT now and had a 310XT previously, The 310XT was great for a while and all of a sudden it would spike and/or drop all the times. I replaced the strap, batteries, and even used the lube for HR monitors with no success. My 920XT is working just fine though.

Clell

by Clell » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:41 pm

My daughter uses a $55 Polar HR monitor. It does have the chest strap. But works great. 2 years running. She uses a Garmin 210 for GPS.
She loves it.

Clell

Browatt

by Browatt » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:54 am

Thank you all for the responses. I ended up getting a Timex Easy trainer, mostly due to price @$40, and I was not sure if I would even like or be able to get used to a chest strap. I've used it 4 or 5 times without issue and its great. Confirmed (not surprisingly) that I was running my easy normal runs too fast/hard and my hard runs not hard enough by HR. Thanks again.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:24 pm

Browatt -

Is the chest strap comfortable enough?

And, what about using the functions on the watch?

For example, is the display easy to read as you run?

And, are there any functions that you like or don't like?

Thank you!

Tinman
Thomas Schwartz
www.runningprs.com
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1