Tinman's Training
A place for those of us over 40 to share their thoughts about running, racing or just life in general, as well as training plans and ideas. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ugmurthy

Tinman's Training

by ugmurthy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:12 am

Hi all,
I am 53 years old and have never done any distance running prior to 1-1-2009 though I am a physically active person.

When i took up distance running in 2009, i initially learnt to run  a 3.2k and then joined a running group - trained for a 10k, then on to a half marathon and finally a full marathon in 2010 - it took me ages to finish but i did complete it.
By Jan'12  i completed 3 more full marathons thanks to www.runnershigh.in .
My PR for a full is 4:43 (jan-2011 Mumbai marathon see : http://naupachis.blogspot.in/2012/01/mumbai-marathon-2012-race-report.html)

I reviewed my progress, but was not very happy as i was injury prone. I was looking for alternate ways to train and soon I hit upon www.therunzone.com and after browsing the forums I felt, I should give Tinman's training a try........so I did try.....

The last 48 weeks with Tinman has been simply amazing. I am training for the Mumbai Marathon scheduled on 20-Jan-2013 and so far i have run 3600 km (my last year's cumulative volume was about 600km) and that too without any injury - thats not entirely true there were occasions when my shin acted a bit, moments of fatigue etc but overall it was way better than 2011. I am certainly running faster than before and am sure I will set a new PR for the upcoming marathon.

I wanted to publicly acknowledge Tinmans effort and methods that has help me in being a better runner. 

Note: I have never met Tinman - we communicate only via email. This is truly a remote training but works!

Thank you Tinman!

Wish all of you a wonderful 2013.
Last edited by ugmurthy on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wellpark

Re: Tinman's Training

by Wellpark » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:52 am

Hey Ugmurthy,

Just to wish you all the best for the marathon this weekend. Please let us know how you get on and what the key improvements have been. It would be good to hear in your own words, what has made the difference for you.

All the best

Wellpark

Jim

by Jim » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:34 pm

Good running Ugmurthy.  I have been with Tinman for about 2 years now and he coached me to a breakthrough year last year.  I expect this might be a breakthrough year for you too.  It takes about 10-12 months of uninterrupted training to get results and I think the almost 4000km you ran last year will give you good results in Mumbai.  Keep us informed of your results and hest of luck on January 20th!

ugmurthy

by ugmurthy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:46 am

Wellpark, Jim,
Thanks for your encouraging words and good wishes.
Will write a short report once i am done.

Cheers
Murthy

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1