Welcome Cool Running Boomers
A place for those of us over 40 to share their thoughts about running, racing or just life in general, as well as training plans and ideas. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

18 posts   •   Page 1 of 2   •   1, 2
Ron
Administrator
Administrator

by Ron » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:51 am

A Welcome to all Cool Running Boomer's!

Please feel free to use the board just as you have on cool running. Let us know if you have any questions about the boards functions, or any suggestions to improve it.
-Ron
Admin
TheRunZone.com is brought to you by: Xtreme Multimedia Marketing
A leader in Responsive Website Technologies

rocknrollrunner

by rocknrollrunner » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:15 pm

Hey Ron,

Thanks for adding the masters thread. Seems like there are a lot of us older runners on here so it will be nice to compare notes.

One 'masters topic' I'm interested in is how peoples training as changed as they got older. I seem to need a lot more recovery time now than I did when I was younger. At age 42 I find that I run best following Tinman's 2 Big Workouts philosophy with the rest of my runs being really easy. When I was younger I could do a weekly long run and two or three hard workouts without breaking down. When I was in HS I could run up to 75 miles a week and still race well -- now 50 a week seems to be my best fit for now (I've been running 2 1/2 years after taking 20 years off so maybe I'll be able to handle more eventually).

Ben

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

by Tinman » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:37 pm

Jim Howe informed us that some runners from coolrunning.com might be looking for a new home. Ron and I discussed it and decided it was a good idea to welcome them and add a new thread to choose from: Master's Talk.

We are glad to have new posters. We expect friendly communication and plenty of interesting topics to be shared and discussed.

Regards,

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

ksrunr

by ksrunr » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:43 pm

Let me add my thanks for "masters talk". Lurking over here from CR. If the CR ship gets sold I'll be looking for a new home.

53 yo male runner who has run off and on for 37-38 years. Have run seriously again last 8 years. I find I can handle max of 45-55 miles per week for long term. More if for short term. I too think 2 "quality" workouts a week is plenty for me including 1 long run. I run everything from 5k to 50M (1 so far).

ksrunr
drinking the wind

tomwhite

by tomwhite » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:48 pm

.....hey ks//........just checking this one out..........thanks for the welcome, we'll pass this along to the CR Boomers.....

........57 yrs old......running 38-years,
jogged first 4, raced for 10, tore up,,,,,,,Fitness Runner for the last 22.....

........very nice website.....
Last edited by tomwhite on Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retread

by retread » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:05 pm

Hi all,

On my lunch hour and just peeking in and to say hello to all those looking for some new places to hang out. I'm sure that Ron and Tinman would be very open to any suggestions that you think might improve this already nice site.

Will be back later,

retread ("Jim24315" on CR, and Jim Howe in the real world)

Twocat

Hello

by Twocat » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:13 pm

Just figured I would come on over and look over the forums here. Now if a daily, weekly, and monthly run thread just starts appearing all will be well!

Johnny

by Johnny » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:34 pm

Just looking around for now, wanted to register my name in case CR moves over here.

Two new boards in 2 days, more than I can handle :eek:

56 y/o, running for 4 1/2 years after a 30 some year hiatus.

Tamster

by Tamster » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:58 pm

:p checking out these digs also, and like Johnny, wanted to get my name registered incase we end up moving here.

nah . . . who am I kidding. . . I'm stalking Johnny :D

hally

by hally » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:48 pm

Peeking in too....just got home to validate my login from earlier. BB Soon, thanks for the welcome.

Barb

tigger

by tigger » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:07 am

At 57 I am still learning how to run more effectively, in spite of having pursued the sport actively for 10 years now. I've read all the training suggestions, but they don't seem to make an impression on me until I actually see the benefit in practice. In other words, I pretty much freewheel it every day until I have a specific goal (usually a race) and then I try some suggestions to improve over past performance. It's a terrible way to learn....by making all the mistakes. You would think at our age we would know better!

Ileneforward

by Ileneforward » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:22 am

Howdy all. Nice place! :D

MaineRunner2001

by MaineRunner2001 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:45 am

I am a 41 year old "master runner." I ran cross country my junior year in high school (25 years ago), then started again just before my 35th birthday (six years ago.)

I like the speed and features of this forum.
Last edited by MaineRunner2001 on Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Runninglate

by Runninglate » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:37 am

Hi all,
I am a 59 year old who has returned to serious running after nearly 30 years of hit and miss running (mostly miss) I have been at it seriously for the last two and a half years.
Known as dlclark66 on the CR forums.

Dan

retread

by retread » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:44 am

[QUOTE=rocknrollrunner]Hey Ron,

Thanks for adding the masters thread. Seems like there are a lot of us older runners on here so it will be nice to compare notes.

One 'masters topic' I'm interested in is how peoples training as changed as they got older. I seem to need a lot more recovery time now than I did when I was younger. At age 42 I find that I run best following Tinman's 2 Big Workouts philosophy with the rest of my runs being really easy. When I was younger I could do a weekly long run and two or three hard workouts without breaking down. When I was in HS I could run up to 75 miles a week and still race well -- now 50 a week seems to be my best fit for now (I've been running 2 1/2 years after taking 20 years off so maybe I'll be able to handle more eventually).

Ben[/QUOTE]

Ben,

I think this would be good for a separate topic. As for me, I only trained well for 2 years in my 30's and the rest has been as a master. I consider early 40's as my youth as a runner, since they were my best years. The biggest difference I've noticed as I've continued on into my current age of 61 is that I need more recovery between hard runs. I used to be able to race every weekend for a month or 2 at a time, and run some hard workouts between them without much problem. Now if I string 2 or 3 together I need to back off for at least a couple weeks.

However, I seem to be able to do as much mileage as ever without much problem. I never did what you would call high mileage, so mayble that's why. Current YTD is 51 mpw, which is about the same as best years in 40's. Of course to keep that average for a full year requires spending some time in 60's with some 70's sprinkled in to balance out the enevitable 30's and 40's.

Btw, I think you will be able to handle more eventually. I had a 7-year break from real training before these past 3 years and have handled the miles better each year since coming back.

Next
18 posts   •   Page 1 of 2   •   1, 2