Saturday, September 8th Daily
A place for those of us over 40 to share their thoughts about running, racing or just life in general, as well as training plans and ideas. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
OstranderRunner

by OstranderRunner » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:21 pm

I ran early today (6:30am) and it was in the low 70's with 90% humidity. I was recovering from a slight flu yesterday and was not feeling too well when I started my run.

I was planning on an easy 11 mile run, but felt terrible at 5 miles and cut the run short. My run was 9 miles with a 6:40 pace. I was struggling the last two miles.

I was hoping to break into a 50 miles this week, but fell short and only ran 48.6 miles. Still it was not bad knowing I did not run one day this week.

ksrunr

by ksrunr » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:31 pm

O Runner - It's always difficult to know whether to push thru it or cut it short. You probably made a good decision.

Small 5k for me today. Been a long time since I won o.a. in a race. Did today. 78 degrees at start and humidity was devastating; not on inkling of a breeze. Two places on course not marked so lost about 10-15 secs. If the college police weren't there I would have gotten completely off course at 2.25 miles. Anyway a 19:05 which is only 16 secs off a master pr for me. Ran 12.5 yesterday and legs were sore and tired. So am very satisfied with results. Going to try and beat my pr of 18:49 one more time in the fall when temps drop. It's 11:30 and already heat index is 103!

Good runs to ya
ksrunr

Ron
Administrator
Administrator

by Ron » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:25 pm

Nice job on your 5K ksrunr!

Your pace was still strong OstranderRunner even though you weren't feeling up to par.

8 miles easy in 55:13 (6:53) for me this morning. It was already quite humid and the temps never even went below 70 last night. I sure hope we get a little break tonight so tomorrows 1/2 marathon won't be too unbearable.

Good runs all!
-Ron
Admin
TheRunZone.com is brought to you by: Xtreme Multimedia Marketing
A leader in Responsive Website Technologies

Twocat

by Twocat » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:10 pm

Looking over the paces you guys have been reporting for your "easy" runs this is one fast group! Geez, good thing I only post in the same place. If I had to RUN with you I might not survive very long! ;)

Today was an interesting run day. The local summer race series has ended and there is a running club that takes up the slack in the off season (which is the other 42 weeks of the year). This is the running club's second year of existence and this was the first time I have tried to show up for their start. They seem like a nice group. A lot of them do tri's. They are a pretty quick group! I ran 7 miles all by my lonesome prior to showing up at the club's start point. They had an 8 mile route planned and so I went with them for that. They did it at just over an 8min/m clip! For me a total of 15m@8:32.

retread

by retread » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:53 pm

Mid 60's and overcast for most of run - would have been a perfect morning for race. Supposed to be in 80's later though.

12 miles on the track including 6 x 1600 x 200 jog, average just under 6:38.

tigger

by tigger » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:02 pm

I am finally back to regular running again after a busy 10 days. I had to fly East to drive my daughter to university. (She is going to U of Guelph to study biological engineering, and has earned a spot on their women's XC team.) By an unlucky coincidence my brother in law passed away at the age of 50, so I attended his funeral while back East. Then I flew back West to move into a new condo and just finished setting up the furniture today. I managed to get a couple of runs in over that time, but not much mileage. Sept 3 was my "official" start for the Tokyo marathon training, but I missed that day due to travel, so I ran that run on the 4th. Then I missed another day due to travel on the 6th, so I ran THAT run on the 7th.

Today was supposed to be an easy 4 miles, but my legs were strong so I pushed the pace and ran 2.5 miles (20 min more or less) at threshold pace of around 8:40. That was sandwiched between a warm up and cool down, for a total of 5 miles. Not my longest run of the year, but I will take it as a marker of better things to come.

efahl

by efahl » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:13 am

[QUOTE=Twocat]Looking over the paces you guys have been reporting for your "easy" runs this is one fast group! Geez, good thing I only post in the same place. If I had to RUN with you I might not survive very long! ;)[/QUOTE]
I'm with you there, my EZ pace is about 8:20, so when they start talking long runs at sub-7 (or !!! sub-6) my legs start to ache...

I got up early and did an EZ and short 4.2 in 34:50, before heading over to The Big House to work a fund raiser for our high school marching band at the Michigan-Oregon game (the Wolverines got their butts handed to them by the Ducks, much to my daughter's delight as Oregon is on her short-list when she graduates next June). My back hurts like crazy today; I was the water bottle team leader and we sold about 70 cases of bottled water causing me to lift a lot of heavy water and ice. Ouch.

Eric

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1