Cross Country summer training, 3 days a week
Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ralphy

Cross Country summer training, 3 days a week

by Ralphy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:02 pm

I coach a high school boys and girls cross country team. We started our summer running last week, and we get together as a team three days per week. We have a core group that reliably runs six days per week, but many kids will only run on the days that we're all together. Everyone will run six days per week when the season officially starts in August.

What is a good way to structure training for kids who run three days per week? I know Tinman recommends tempos and CV all through the year - would you still try to incorporate them in this case? Or is it better to just stick with easier distance runs and focus on endurance? Thanks for any help.

Run876

Re: Cross Country summer training, 3 days a week

by Run876 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:45 pm

I think first he would say to get them to be able to run an hour a day before doing any specific work.

daytondmb41

Re: Cross Country summer training, 3 days a week

by daytondmb41 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:32 pm

Hey there, we have a similar situation. Many kids only run the 3 days we meet. I personally feel it out with each kid.

In the summer, I use fartlek instead of CV work, relatively structured say. 6-8x1 on/ 1 off. by effort. As well as I alternate weeks of Tempo/LT.

For some kids, the goal is to just get them to continuous put 1 foot in front of the other for the entire run. For others you can really do more.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1