7 miles a day, 5 days a week, 16:XX 5K
A place for those of us over 40 to share their thoughts about running, racing or just life in general, as well as training plans and ideas. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
KTJ

7 miles a day, 5 days a week, 16:XX 5K

by KTJ » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:48 pm

I posted this on LRC, but then realized I would have better luck getting my question answered on Tinman's site.

Basically I wrote that last year I ran a 16:45 5K off of 60-70 hard miles a week (including intervals and tempos). This year, though, I've started developing hip and hamstring issues that prevent me from running that hard. I have had to cut back just to be able to walk around the office.

I recall reading a post from a masters runner who ran 7 miles a day, 5 days a week, and could still run a 16-something 5K. I'm trying to determine what an average daily pace for that schedule should be to run in the mid/high 16 minute range. I would guess I could presently run a 17:30. I've been doing this for the past month:
M- 7
T- 7
W- 7
TR - off
F- 7
S- 7
S- off

I roll out of bed at 5AM and am out the door by 5:30, still stiff and tired, and for that reason I will no longer run intervals or timed-tempo runs.  I start slow, finish a little quicker, with the average pace around 7 minutes. Some runs I end up around 6 minutes for the last mile or two. I run 2 doubles a week, with the second run being a 3-4 mile jog. Total mileage is in the low 40's.

Any idea what pace I should aim for as an average daily training pace to get into the mid 16 range for 5K?

Thanks

Jim

Re: 7 miles a day, 5 days a week, 16:XX 5K

by Jim » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:14 am

If you are only running 40miles and only doing moderate runs, no workouts, you could hammer those 7 milers.  Start out slow to warm up, get in a groove and push the pace and finish hard the last kilometer or so, like 5km pace.  So like 8:00 pace for 10min, then build up to sub 7:00 and finish last 10min in under 6:00.  Almost like a daily tempo run. Worked for Mark Nenow back in the day.

bobbygrove

by bobbygrove » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:40 pm

I would like to hear if any of you masters have had success with running only 5 days per week. I have gone through far too many injuries these past years. I am now over 50, and wonder if running 5 days a week with one big workout, one big long run, some other runs mixed in the other three days...then adding a good cross training day like cycling in there. The 7th day either completely off or in the gym...or even another day of cross training. I'm about to try anything, but can't get the "weekly miles" thing out of my head from 20-30 years ago. Seems like it could be a way to stay healthy. But has anyone raced successfully off a system like this?
Thank you!

dkggpeters

by dkggpeters » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:59 pm

bobbygrove wrote:I would like to hear if any of you masters have had success with running only 5 days per week. I have gone through far too many injuries these past years. I am now over 50, and wonder if running 5 days a week with one big workout, one big long run, some other runs mixed in the other three days...then adding a good cross training day like cycling in there. The 7th day either completely off or in the gym...or even another day of cross training. I'm about to try anything, but can't get the "weekly miles" thing out of my head from 20-30 years ago. Seems like it could be a way to stay healthy. But has anyone raced successfully off a system like this?
Thank you!

It may not be mileage or how many days a week that you are running that is causing the injury. I could be something as simple as "Are you running in the right kind of shoes?" I used to get foot injuries and perennial ankle tendinitis all the time. What I found out is once I switched to shoes that were more minimal in nature allowing my foot to move freely the problems went away. I can sometimes get tenderness in my perennial tendon but can resolve the issue through PT and/or increased stretching.

The injuries may also be do to not running your easy runs easy enough as well. I used to ramp up to 50 mpw and get injured. I even ran almost all my miles on the Towpath which was a dirt surface and still got injured. I mixed in cross training to reduce the mileage and got the same injuries. Once I started slowing down the majority of my runs, I was able to consistently ramp mileage up to 95 mpw on average and not get injured.

I am in my 50's (54 now) and just started back up after a couple years of not running very much at all. I am still able to run everyday and 75 mpw avg over the last couple of months and have never felt better. I run all my miles on asphalt as well.

Reduced mileage is not always the answer.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1