Using Pool Running for Doubles ?
Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sandilandsrunner

Using Pool Running for Doubles ?

by Sandilandsrunner » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:27 am

Has anyone tried using pool running as an AM session to replace a shakeout run ?

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or, even better, experience on trying pool running as a double on easy day mornings?

I was interested to try adding a 35-40mins AM pool running session before my PM run.

If so do you think it best to keep the effort all easy/moderate ... i say this as the temptation in the pool is to always do intervals.

I guess i'd be keen to know if you think it would be helpful or a waste of time.

thank you in advance!

JimM

Re: Using Pool Running for Doubles ?

by JimM » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:35 am

Personally I am a big fan of training and not just assuming running more and more is the answer. So for me, gym work, biking, the occasional elliptical workout in the winter time and yes, pool running are all important aspects of getting fit to race. I think the best thing you can do for a body the day after a long run is jump in the pool instead of cranking an easy run out. For me mountain biking, elliptical and pool workouts have replaced a lot of my mileage during the year. Mind you I still think running 50mpw for me is the sweet spot but after that, my easier shakeout efforts and recovery runs are done in the pool or on an elliptical.
Remember with pool runs there is water resistance there, so if you crank along at your usual running tempo your HR is gonna get elevated petty fast. So I tend to tread water in a running motion thinking about good form for 30-45min or so. I used to do hard workouts in the pool but these were damn difficult, things like 2min hard one easy. So I save the hard efforts for the track or trail and hit the pool for easier recovery efforts only.

Sandilandsrunner

by Sandilandsrunner » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:03 am

Thanks Jim

Yes i have done a fair few harder pool running sessions which have helped me through injury times.

I have just started using them for a more 'moderate/steady' efforts in the morning just to get in some extra aerobic quality but i always worry maybe the HR is not high enough so i tend to intermix v moderate 1-2min intervals.

Its good to hear that you found a benefit in fitness from it as i wasn't sure how it would translate!

thanks!

dkggpeters

by dkggpeters » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:11 pm

Sandilandsrunner wrote:
Has anyone tried using pool running as an AM session to replace a shakeout run ?

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or, even better, experience on trying pool running as a double on easy day mornings?

I was interested to try adding a 35-40mins AM pool running session before my PM run.

If so do you think it best to keep the effort all easy/moderate ... i say this as the temptation in the pool is to always do intervals.

I guess i'd be keen to know if you think it would be helpful or a waste of time.

thank you in advance!

The question I have is why do you want to double on an easy day? Easy days are for regeneration. Unless you are pushing 100 mpw or above, I just don't see why you would want to. No reason for a shakeout run on an easy day. Easy days should be easy.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1