How to get my kids out of comfort zone
Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rev3im

How to get my kids out of comfort zone

by Rev3im » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:17 pm

My two boys are running jr high track. (One is an eighth grader and the other is a fifth grader who is the team manager but trains with them). I have no control over their training during the week. (I feel it is very speed laden with little emphasis on endurance). They race 2xs a week. On mondays and Wednesdays. On the weekend, I have them just get some easy miles and longer runs in.
With both of my boys, they are racing their 1600 at the same pace as they would go out in the 2 mile for XC. (One kid would go out in 5:35 and had an 11:33 2 mile. The other would go out in 6:15 and had a 12:35 2 mile). Right now both are racing their 1600 at the same pace.
I understand how mental racing is and how they need to get out of their comfort zone, but is there a workout or racing strategy I should tell them to try and do to break through that barrier?
(As for me, I was a 4:02 miler, but bc I am dad apparently I don’t know what I’m talking about so I’m turning to others for advice). Thanks

PeterMichaelson

Re: How to get my kids out of comfort zone

by PeterMichaelson » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:50 pm

I'm wondering if the training during cross country was different compared to the training for track season. Assuming the 1 mile cross country splits are accurate, it could be that they COULD run that fast during cross country season. Maybe the speed-oriented training isn't working for them at all and is making their track times slower than their cross country fitness would indicate.

Could be mental but I doubt it.

I have seen a local kid with great genes (mom state HS cross champion, dad sub 1:50 HS 800, grandfather olympian) ending up with injury after injury because (in my opinion) he wasn't trained correctly in his middle school years. Hope it works out for your kids.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1