Aerobic power vs. VO2 max
Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
joshmreesjones

Aerobic power vs. VO2 max

by joshmreesjones » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:18 pm

The Tinman pace calculator has paces for both aerobic power and VO2 max. Can anyone explain the difference between these paces and the differences in effects of each type of workout?

Thanks everyone!

runthe8

Re: Aerobic power vs. VO2 max

by runthe8 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:58 am

AP pace is about 95% of VO2 max pace. VO2 max paced workouts are harder to recover from than CV or AP workouts, because they are faster. I think Tom says that CV is the most "bang for your buck" if you are trying to build stamina, because you get most of the benefits of training at VO2 max pace but recover more quickly. I will also add that VO2 max pace pretty closely corresponds to many of my high schoolers' 3200 race pace, so we do touch on it simply because we will do some race pace reps in practice, but usually following CV work, and the V02 reps ( or 3200 race pace reps if you prefer) are shorter. If we don't have a race for a 2 week period or longer I will also do a harder workout with my 1600/3200 kids that may involve longer reps at V02 max pace simply to mimic more of a race type effort that week.

I like AP pace for some athletes who are mostly racing the 400/800/1600 because it is a little faster than CV, so their stride is a little closer to what we would see at race paces as opposed to running threshold or CV work, so they feel more comfortable too. They still do CV work but I will mix in short reps at AP pace every so often instead. Still working on their stamina using AP pace reps.

I am sure Tom and some others here could give you a more scientific reason to use one over the other, so maybe they will weigh in.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1