Recovery Time from 1600 Meter Race
Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
distancecoach4

Recovery Time from 1600 Meter Race

by distancecoach4 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:27 am

I have a few questions for Tinman and others regarding high school track.

How many days, on average, does it take a high school kid running moderate mileage (40-45 mpw) to recover from a 1600 meter race?

And how many days would it take the same type of runner to recover from a Combo workout of say 3x1000 @ CV + 3x400 @ 800 pace with 4 min jog recoveries + short speed (4x100)?

Thanks for the feedback!

dkggpeters

Re: Recovery Time from 1600 Meter Race

by dkggpeters » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:15 pm

Check out his article "Recovery from Racing" posted in Articles and Charts.

According to this it would be 4 days (3.7 days). On the Combo workout shouldn't be any more than a couple of days.

http://www.therunzone.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3223

Why exactly are you asking this question? For long term development, you shouldn't be doing any more than 2 hard sessions a week. If you are racing a couple of days apart (in my HS days we had meets on Thursday and Invitationals on Saturday) then you need to pick which one to go all out and which one to hold back.

distancecoach4

by distancecoach4 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:45 pm

Thanks for the useful information. The reason I'm asking is that our schedule this week only allows for 6 days between races (can't do workout on day 3 in between due to scheduling issues), and I want to fit in a combo workout in between the two races. So I'm trying to determine how best to space them out, and determine if I should even do a workout at all.

dkggpeters

by dkggpeters » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:02 am

I think it depends on how your athlete's recovery ability is. If he is usually wiped out after a race for a few days then I would skip the session. If he recovers well then he should be ok. You can also tone it down if necessary. Just don't dig a hole. Error on the side of caution. Remember that races are the ultimate workout.

Look at recovery as to how they recover from different types of stresses as well. I can do a hard 20 and still feel pretty good the next day. Give me only 3 miles of 5K pace work in intervals and I am wiped out for a couple of days.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1