Winter Base plan critique

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

matt445

Winter Base plan critique

Post by matt445 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:12 pm

Background info: Junior in high school shooting for 4:20ish mile come next track season. During this xc season I have been able to be at 50-60 mpw with hard workouts with no problems (3-4 short morning runs a week). Over winter I want to bump up to about 70 mpw, and would love some input on my plan.

Post cross country: 1 week to 10 days off/ with easy jogging
Winter training schedule will be something like
Sunday: 13-15 mile long run+ drills
Monday: tempo run (20 minutes at beginning, work up to 30, then increase pace)
Tuesday: Easy run+ alactic hill sprints
Wednesday: ?? Considering a pace day like 200s at mile pace, or a fartlek like 12x 1hard/1 easy. Also weights
Thursday: Easy+ alactic sprints on hill
Friday: Medium long progression run ( maybe 70 mins with hard last 20)+ strides and weights
Saturday: easy run

Easy morning runs of about 3 miles probably 5 days a week

Would love any input on what I could add/ take out to improve training. When I say weights I generally mean squat and lunge exercises with light weights, then some basic upper body exercises. Plan on doing a core routine 6 days a week. If anything else needs clarification just let me know, thanks for any feedback!

dilluh

Re: Winter Base plan critique

Post by dilluh » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:10 pm

The following can be found in an older thread regarding off-season training for HS runners. I think your plan is not too far off from this. Extend the volume slightly as long as you can maintain it (keep the ball rolling), train at multiple paces, do something for leg turnover/coordination/stride strength. I like the combination of hilly runs and 5k fartleks for "off-season" training.
Day 1: Long Run over rolling hills. If you don't have hills, run some outside on the flats and then some indoors on a treadmill with a grade of 2-4%. Your pace and effort should be easy to moderate. The duration of the run should start around 60 minutes and build to about 90 minutes by the end of February.

Day 2: easy run (s) (start with 20-30 minutes easy and build to around 45 minutes by the end of February.

Day 3: Aerobic fartlek (Swedish for speedplay). Example 10-25 x 30 seconds at 5k effort (jog 30 seconds recoveries).You could run aerobic intervals, too. Example, 5-15 x 400m at CV pace (see my chart on the home page of http://www.therunzone.com - under Tinman Articles *Also Tinman now has a calculator to figure out your pace http://www.runningprs.com/calculator.html *) + 3-5 x 100m at about 800m speed (jog 200m recoveries) or 3-5 x 200m at 1600m speed (jog 200m recoveries). By the end of January, you should be able to do the upper range of pickups or reps listed. As you get fitter, run more. Start with 30 minutes of aerobic fartlek; including 10 x 30 seconds at 5k pace or effort (jog 30 seconds recoveries). Add 1-2 pickups per week. If you want to do intervals, jog a mile or two and do 5 x 400m at CV pace (jog about 100m recoveries). Add 1 rep per week, no more. Do a 1-2 mile warm down run. As you get fitter, extend that to 3-4 miles of warm up running and 2-3 miles warm down running. Be gradual in the progression!

Day 4: easy run (s)

Day 5: same

Day 6: Tempo running (see my training paces chart) + 4-12 x 100m hill reps (at ab out 2-mile to 1 mile race effort). After the hills, do 4-5 x 50-150m quick striders (1 mile to 800m pace/effort) jog long enough to catch your breath. Start with a 1 mile warm up, 3 miles Tempo and 4 x 100m hills at about 2 mile, progressing to 1 mile race effort (not speed). Jog 1 mile to warm down. Gradually increase the amount of warm up and warm down, as well as the number of hill reps. Don't be in a rush! If I were your personal coach I'd add 1 hill rep per week.

Day 7: easy run (s)

shug

Post by shug » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:25 pm

Fantastic post, Dilluh!

I so often see schedules posted and think: how many runners are going to change their current routine and try the perceived "sexier" schedule? It seems so infrequent that I see a schedule with prescribed progression over a period of time. This allows the athlete to progress at his/her own pace, which is very individualized.

dilluh

Post by dilluh » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:44 am

Just to be clear - the quoted training outline are Tom's words, not mine.

While out on a run this morning I was thinking about the sheer volume of incredibly insightful and useful training information that is just sitting on these forums, free, from Tom. Compiled, clarified, organized and perhaps a touch more detail at places and it would all make for a first-class training book (I am ever-hopeful that this will eventually happen). I've kept many notes over the years regarding Tom's and other's training philosophies both at the detailed level and at a more holistic level along with my own detailed training logs over the past decade. I feel these notes are invaluable as they have shaped how I think about running as a discipline, as a competitive sport, and as a source of enjoyment and fulfillment.

It was just another fleeting thought that goes through my head on a run but I just wanted to get it out there - Thanks Tom for being an incredible resource and wealth of knowledge and history about this great sport!

k.bence1995

Post by k.bence1995 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:41 pm

Dilluh !
I ve got an almost 400 pages long word document that contains Tinman s training post from both Letsrun and Therunzone and every other articles that i found on the internet but not very summerized. I could send or post it if theres a need for it!

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:57 am

Matt -

After reviewing the training schedule that you posted, I suggest that you eliminate the combinations of back-to-back hard(ish) days. Example: The Long Run on Sunday and a quality workout on Monday. Too much! Short-term, runners will handle it and survive and improve; long-term, they will become chronically fatigued and fail to improve; more importantly they will lose motivation and become frustrated.

Enjoy your week!

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

sup03

Post by sup03 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:52 am

k.bence1995 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:41 pm
Dilluh !
I ve got an almost 400 pages long word document that contains Tinman s training post from both Letsrun and Therunzone and every other articles that i found on the internet but not very summerized. I could send or post it if theres a need for it!
could you send or post please?