fast in intervals slow in races or tempos?

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

kresimir.karas@gmail.com

fast in intervals slow in races or tempos?

Post by kresimir.karas@gmail.com » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:25 pm

Hello i mostly run 10k and halfmarathon. I have problem with training. In CV intervals i can run 5:35/km (4x1km) but i have problem with continous tempo. When i try to run Tinman long tempo run 40 min, my heart rate jums high after only 3km at tempo 6:40/km, from 3km to the end of training its survival mode. Everything like intervals 20x1 min training i run with avg tempo of 5:10/km (fast one) and that is much easier to me that running continously 40 min at Tinman tempo pace (6:40/km) which is at much slower pace. Do you have any advice how to train?
In the past i run 20 marathons but after ankle injury i am so slow and fat.

NIch_xc

Re: fast in intervals slow in races or tempos?

Post by NIch_xc » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:27 pm

My guess is just make those tempos also in the from of intervals and slowly lengthen them until you can handle full blown tempos.
Here's an example: start with 5x5 min w/ 1 min rest --> 6x5 min --> 7x5 min --> 8x5 min --> 4x8 min w/ 2 min rest --> 5x8 min --> 4x10 min --> 4x10 min w/ 1 min rest --> 2x20 min w/ 2 min rest --> 40 min.
You could also stop at any point in that progression and still benefit, 40 minutes is not the end all.