Long run at 85% HR = what type of workout? (Old Board)

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Ron
Administrator
Administrator

Long run at 85% HR = what type of workout? (Old Board)

Post by Ron » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:24 am

More from maccy, thanks again!
maccy

36 Posts
Posted - 01/21/2007 : 10:55:27
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Tinman,

I did a 14 mile run at an average of 85% HR today and was wondering what type of workout it is? I've counted it as one of my 2 Key workouts for the week, the other is usually a 60 min hard on a Wednesday, so it wasnt your typical easy long run. I felt really good throughout though, even though it is the furthest I have run in 10 years. I was just wondering if I'm doing the wrong type of workout, or even what type of workout this would be classed as? Maybe I am overthinking things? Anyway, I'll be doing 2 easy-ish days before Wednesday, so I will have recovered. i'm just wondering: if I do my hard 60 mins on a wednesday and hard 90 to 110 mins on a Sunday, what I should be doing inbetween to cover me for distances ranging from 5 to 15km? Ultimately my goal is to do a really good 10km.

Thanks

Maccy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tinman

USA
730 Posts
Posted - 01/21/2007 : 12:32:09
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

M -

It's a Long Tempo Run - quite effective! Kudos!

Tinman

Train Smart- reap the benefits!

maccy

36 Posts
Posted - 01/21/2007 : 12:55:02

thanks for the reply tinman,

so we were talking the other day about fast and slow twitch guys. I think I'm a fast twitch guy, so what do you reccomend apart from my 60 mins hard on a wednesday and 110 mins hard on a sunday, to keep my fast twitch muscles happy?

Tinman

USA
730 Posts
Posted - 01/21/2007 : 14:37:27

M -

As little as 4-5 x 200m at about 1 mile pace done twice per week is enough to make a fast twitcher "feel better." Jog 400m between each rep when you are in base training. You can cut the recovery shorter and increase the reps once you are done with base training.

Regards,

Tinman

maccy

36 Posts
Posted - 01/21/2007 : 15:15:32

thanks tinman,

can I do those 4-5 x 200m at mile pace after one of my easy runs, or would they count as key workouts?

Thanks

Maccy

Tinman

USA
730 Posts
Posted - 01/21/2007 : 16:43:45

M -

That is fine, but be sure to jog about 4-5 minutes after the last 200. NO quitting after lactic buildup, ever!

Carry on, brother!

Tinman

-Ron
Admin
TheRunZone.com is brought to you by: Xtreme Multimedia Marketing
A leader in AMP-HTML & Responsive Website Technologies