What happened to the Slow Tempo?

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

kresimir.karas@gmail.com

Re: What happened to the Slow Tempo?

Post by kresimir.karas@gmail.com » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:42 am

Research literature supports the use of high intensity training to burn fat fast. *The fastest way to burn the most fat is run Tinman Tempo pace (or right at 80% of VO2 max). You burn more fat per second at that intensity than running much slower. Sure, the total percentage of Calories burned is higher when lower intensity training is used but the TOTAL number of fat Calories burned per second is higher at 80% of VO2 max because the total energy expenditure at 80% is high. Above 80% and the amount of fat burned starts to decrease again, as burning of carbohydrates elevates rapidly.
If i run 1440 meters in 6 min (vo2max test by Veronique Bilatt) is it my vo2max tempo from which i can calculate 80% of Vo2 max?
My intention is to burn fat as more possible.

kresimir.karas@gmail.com

Post by kresimir.karas@gmail.com » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:15 pm

So, nobody here to give me answer? I would like to make calculation, because in Tinman calculator it is impossible to calculate from vo2 speed.

dilluh

Post by dilluh » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:27 pm

It would probably be easiest to use a recent race time (say, a 5k), put that into Tinman's calculator, and then look up the corresponding Tinman tempo pace. I'm not sure if your 6 minute test is an accurate representation of your VO2max or not. Not saying it's wrong, I just don't know how to apply the data to determine VO2max pace from that.