Shoe question

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

TexNav

Shoe question

Post by TexNav » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:58 pm

Just wanted to get some peoples feedback if anyone is reading.

I typically do most of my running in Nike Free 5.0s and have been for the past 2.5 years. Even the past 6 months as my running has been more in the range of 42-52 miles. Now, this has been though, primarily on trails of crushed limestone.

I am going to be forced to run more on concrete in the upcoming weeks and was considering a little more cushioned shoe. I done a little running off and on in some Asics DS Trainers, but am still wanting something just a little more cushioned for some runs. Every once in a while I'll get a few days where I want a little softer ride, but still good "toe-off". (So far the best I have tried on is the Brooks Defyance).

(As a side note, Tom, I finally tried on the Lunar Trainers, amazingly soft ! Wasn't sure though if they offered enough stability though. But the cushioning was awesome).

Anyways, if anyone gets a sec.

Trackrunner220

Shoe question

Post by Trackrunner220 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:10 pm

Asics 2140...Light enough, stabile enough, cushioned enough. I loved these shoes...

TexNav

Shoe question

Post by TexNav » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:22 pm

I might just check those out. Years back when I first got into running (if you want to call it that). I believe I was running in the 2040s ? Now those, I loved. The toe-off was pretty darned good, and not clumsy like you would expect in a larger shoe. I just remember not liking the version after and then kind of strayed back to Nike again. Outside of the Free 5.0 I have had a hard time finding a Nike shoe that I like.

Trackrunner220

Shoe question

Post by Trackrunner220 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:01 am

I have been using the related shoes to 2140 bc they are always out of my size...brooks were...egh...to stiff it seemed. and the Mizunos are really good as well. But asics had no real break in time. So right of the box good feel

Carson

shoes

Post by Carson » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:21 pm

if you're looking for a plush ride with solid stability, I'd recommend Saucony N. I'm on my 4th pair. Solid, all round shoe.

Carson

Shoe question

Post by Carson » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:23 pm

Saucony Hurricanes to be specific. (some kinda techno glitch with the previous post, sorry)

Chaf

Shoe question

Post by Chaf » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:34 pm

Consider Nike Free Everyday,i think they are neutral shoes, they do however offer a similar ride as the free 5.0 but with more cushioning.
bottomline is, it's hard to find a flexible shoe with good toe-off and lots of cushioning, you may want to check out more like performance running shoes, the Asics 21xx are good shoes but in my opinion not very flexible in terms of toe-off, Puma Concinnity (sp?) is like a racing flat, decent cushioning and flexible at the ball of the foot, not as cushioned as trainers though.

Nike zoom elites, lighter than most trainers, good cushioning, not very flexible, better yet, Saucony Tangent, this is in the same category as the Zoom elites, Asics DS trainers... lighter than regular trainers but not as light as racing flats, flexible, decent cushioning, light stability, and responsive as well.
you may also check out Mizunos Elixir, not a bad shoe.

i hope this helps.

TexNav

Shoe question

Post by TexNav » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:52 pm

Thanks for the input.

I tried the Free everyday by chance as I had heard months back that the 5.0 had been discontinued (which I found out later was bull). Just didnt like something in the fit.

The Mizuno Elixer has been recommended to me as well from a couple of other runners, (one being a sub 4 minute miler and 14 min 5K'er... but he is obviously built a lot differently than I !!! hah ).

I tend to have a little higher than normal arches as well. Not really sure about pronation/supination as my Free 5.0s dont show any wear to any side of the heel (possibly b/c I am a mid-, to forefoot striker).

Granted I know that it is so much an individual matter, I just haven't had to do any real shoe shopping since I have become more serious about running as the 5.0s worked from day 1 and where I've been running, up to this point. Thanks again for the input.

TexNav

Shoe question

Post by TexNav » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:59 pm

I made it to the shoe store today.

The Mizuno Elixer recommendation was spot on (for me at least). Outside of my Free 5.0s, these are the most comfortable out of the box shoes I have ever purchased.

i was also extremely impressed with the Brooks Ghost, and will be going back tomorrow to purchase those. The cushioning and great toe-off feel is awesome.

Just fyi, thought I'd follow up with my experience.

Chaf

Shoe question

Post by Chaf » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:46 pm

TexNav, I don't know the store's policy that you purchased your shoes from but if i was you I would run in the shoes a couple of times on the treadmill, that way you can take them back if there is something you don't like about them. The Elixir, by the way have some stability in them, don't know if you need that or not.
if the store that you go to has Saucony Tagent try them on, they are really good shoes.

TexNav

Shoe question

Post by TexNav » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:10 pm

The store I went to has both a treadmill and a small indoor track actually. So, I got a good feel for them. I know one of the employees there, and the owner is really cool too. As well, there is not a pushy sales environment either. But I did give them a little jog. Actually I tried on quite a few, and they are very encouraging of it as well. Those were just 2 pair that felt really good. They did have Saucony's but I believe that they were out of the Tangent. Due to time issues with going out of town for awhile I just went with the 2 and left it at that.