New Heat Index Chart

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

New Heat Index Chart

Post by Tinman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Friends at The Run Zone:

Under the "Tinman Tools" tab you'll find an updated version of the Tinman Heat Index Chart.

To read it: find the pace you ran at a given Heat Index (which combines temperature and relative humidity), and then move up or down the column to determine what paces you would have likely run at other Heat Indexes.  Or, you can seek a pace, shown in the top row (left to right), and look at the column below it to compare paces at various Heat Indexes.

Happy Running!

Tinman

Thanks Ron for placing my chart in the Tinman Tools section of The Run Zone: you do a lot of cool things that make The Run Zone a good place to visit!!!
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Ron
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Heat Index Chart

Post by Ron » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:34 pm

Thanks for your contribution(s) Tinman!
-Ron
Admin
TheRunZone.com is brought to you by: Xtreme Multimedia Marketing
A leader in AMP-HTML & Responsive Website Technologies

Jeff_D

Post by Jeff_D » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:54 pm

Why is it that as speed increases the effect increases? obviously this is pretty apparent - an easy run on a hot/cold day is largely unaffected but try doing a tinman tempo or race and the disparity between what you would be hitting under better conditions can be drastic. However I'm wondering what the science behind it is. Tinman? Anyone else want to give it a try?

I figured there is probably some kind of metabolic component where the body is working at a higher work rate but the body has a limited cooling ability and then obviously when you run faster you get more air going by you so you can sweat more freely but then wouldn't the chart also need to scale for humidity instead of just heat index because under very hot but dry conditions more air flow would allow you to have more sweat evaporate but on, say, an 80 degree, 75% humidity day in florida, going faster isn't going to help improve removal of sweat by much.

Thanks,

Jef

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:05 pm

I thought I was  a registered member, but I don't see a "Tinman Tools" tab. I only see a "Tinman's Charts" tab, and underneath that tab is the heat index chart from 2009.  Is this the chart you're refering to, or is there a newer one?

Assuming I'm a registered member, what am I missing?

Thanks!

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:08 pm

There is no Tinman Tools, but there was before. The Charts became the Tools, I think. I'll email Ron D and ask him.

Note, I don't have access to Tinman Tools, and I am an administrator.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:11 pm

Jeff -

Heat index includes the humidity in the number.  See this link  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_index
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Chris

Post by Chris » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:36 pm

BoilerTom- Tinman's OP was three years ago. The thread was bumped, there is no new chart.

Ron
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ron » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:49 pm

"Tinman's Tools" was split into 2 sections a couple of years ago. "Tinman's Articles" & "Tinman's Charts". Same information, just presented in a simpler format.
Neither "Tinman's Articles" or "Tinman's Charts" are available to non-registered users (if you log out you'll see they disappear).
-Ron
Admin
TheRunZone.com is brought to you by: Xtreme Multimedia Marketing
A leader in AMP-HTML & Responsive Website Technologies

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:35 pm

[quote="Chris"]
BoilerTom- Tinman's OP was three years ago. The thread was bumped, there is no new chart.
[/quote]

oh, that explains it!  Sorry for my mental lapse!

Thanks everyone!!