what are the benefits of running flats?

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

jpsellon

what are the benefits of running flats?

Post by jpsellon » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:58 pm

Hello everyone,
I run with Adidas shoes they fit perfectly, the adizero boston are just great I use them for my hard training days, for my recovery days, my long runs, 5 & 10K races, 1/2 & full marathon. My wife just gave me a pair of adizero mana (running flats), they are really nice, they also fit perfect but they are very lightweight. I've been reading and people recommend using them progressively. My question is, how good is runnig with them? Benefits? Cons? Use them for track and intervals? Can I run 1/2 marathon, full?
Quite a lot of questions but I have never used running flats so I would appreciate all info and recommendations as possible.

Thanks,  Jean Sellon

Trackrunner220

Re: what are the benefits of running flats?

Post by Trackrunner220 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:33 am

Hey!
I prefer to run in lighterweight shoes. the shoews I wear now are about the same weight as the Boston ( a little less), but I love wearing my racing flats on some runs. I just do not feel as restricted and less fluid.

Pros: Helps you run more naturally since you do not have cement blocks on your feet if you train in those gimicky running shoes, but Bostons should be a decent transition.)

Cons: you would have to start out wearing them for intervals/tempos then progress into longer runs. Dont just wear a pair on race day, it might screw up form/pace.

Most flats you can wear for 1/2 marathons and full marathons, actually it would help you a lot more. less weight over longer time will not exhaust you.

Just progress if you are not used to them.

rxb

Post by rxb » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:42 am

The Mana has a post; do you overpronate?  Adidas Ace is the neutral version. 

As a neutral runner, I wear Adidas Ace shoes for training (except wet weather, as they have ventilated soles that allow moisture to penetrate).  They are a nice compromise-- a couple of ounces lighter than the Bostons, but still durable enough to last for about 350-400 miles, at least for me.  Adidas is my favourite shoe brand as they offer good options for someone like me (neutral runner, can wear light shoes, wants a narrow fit). 

I would describe the Mana and the Ace as semi-flats; you can race and train in them.  I also have a pair of Adidas Pros, which are a true racing flat.  I really like them but it would be a bit expensive to wear them as everyday shoes; true flats just don't have tons of miles in them.  Plus, if you're an overpronator, a neutral flat might not be a good idea.  (Tinman is adamant that the majority of overpronators just need some running instruction that would solve the problem, rather than wearing shoes with posts that merely encourage them to continue to overpronate.) 

TexNav

Post by TexNav » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:13 pm

I bought new shoes 2 weeks ago, and ended up buying 2 pair of the Asics Speedstars. I tried the Boston's also and man those felt just as good. Actually, I bought a pair of the Speedstars first, but then when I went back to get another pair, tried on the Boston's and I don't think I would have gone wrong if those had been my first choice.

maccy

Post by maccy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:40 am

From a non scientific and 'feel' point of view, when I tried racers for the first time it wasnt just the weight that was noticeable. The 'ride' seemed to be better for want of a better word. My racers tend to have less arch support which is fine for me, and they just flow off the road, they feel faster. Trainers are a bit more solid, almost clumpy in comparison. Also the psychological effect of putting on noticeably lighter racing shoes is great, you use them for races only so when you put them on you know its 'serious' running time and it gets you in the mood.

I use Asics DS Trainers for training and DS Racers 2007 for races. I tend to stick to that year if i can find them, I know how they feel and if u find them online they cost like $60 sometimes

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:24 am

[quote="maccy"]
Also the psychological effect of putting on noticeably lighter racing shoes is great, you use them for races only so when you put them on you know its 'serious' running time and it gets you in the mood.
[/quote]

This has always been my philosophy with racing flats. I love the feel of the lighter shoes on race day.

Yet, I've talked to and seen some pretty good runners that perform their speed workouts in racing flats, presumably so they get used to the feel, and have no surprises on race day.  Perhaps if they do better in their speed workouts it gives them more confidence for race day.

maccy

Post by maccy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:16 pm

[quote="maccy"]
Yet, I've talked to and seen some pretty good runners that perform their speed workouts in racing flats, presumably so they get used to the feel, and have no surprises on race day.  Perhaps if they do better in their speed workouts it gives them more confidence for race day
[/quote]

This is true, I kinda glossed over that. I've done important speed workouts in flats, especially if I'm comparing the split times to previous similar workouts. I do speed workouts almost as many times as I race so its still a special occasion to put the flats on, and as the speed workouts are quite exciting too I like putting the flats on for that reason as well, its still a bit of an occasion. Basically if I'm putting them on I know I'm going to be doing something quick.