Post-run Recovery "Supplements" & "Aids"

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

D_Bean

Post-run Recovery "Supplements" & "Aids"

Post by D_Bean » Sat May 22, 2010 10:49 pm

Hello all!

I was out running this evening in our somewhat summer-like conditions (~90degrees, 80ish % humidity) that have already befallen us down in my part of the country and had a thought. Considering I am planning on putting in a fairly heavy load this summer despite the consistent hot weather, recovery is going to be crucial for me. I stay well-hydrated throughout the day, often drinking nearly a gallon of water or sports drink. I am looking to try to start taking some kind of post-run or post-workout recovery drinks or supplements. Does anyone out there have any first-hand experience with some that seemed to help and work well for them? As with anything I take, I'll look into it personally before putting it into my body, but in the mean time I was just looking for what the favorites of those of you who have used or are using something along those lines in your training. Thanks!

-DB

road dog

Re: Post-run Recovery "Supplements" & "Aids"

Post by road dog » Sun May 23, 2010 9:30 am

D_Bean,
On tuesday, I normally run a double and after the second workout I use: whey protein by Body Fortress.  It is a powder than you can mix w/ water, juice, or even milk.  It is 100% daily of protein, and I believe 25% daily of carbs.  Walmart sells it for $15.00.

On sunday, I normally run long, after the workout I use: r4 by Endurox.  Powder.  It is 100% daily of carbs, and I believe 25% daily of protein (kind of like the opposite of whey protein).  If you search online, you can find it for under $40.00 (send me a PM, and I will send you the buyer I usually choose).

Both are effective, though r4 I believe is more effective due to the make-up of 100% carbs.

-road dog

Chris

Post by Chris » Sun May 23, 2010 10:48 am

Chocolate milk is all I need. :)

http://www.chocolatemilk.com/
Last edited by Chris on Sun May 23, 2010 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trackrunner220

Post by Trackrunner220 » Sun May 23, 2010 11:08 am

[quote="Chris"]
Chocolate milk is all I need. :)

http://www.chocolatemilk.com/
[/quote]

QFE

ATimmins

Post by ATimmins » Sun May 23, 2010 11:12 am

Chocolate Milk is my #1 Choice.

Slim fast works well too becuase of the vitamins and minerals, but make sure it is the original and not the low carb one.  Plus they don't need to be refrigerated, which worked for me when i had to drive to the track.

To be honest, as long as you are putting something in you are winning the battle, even half a gatoraide and a banana is a great choice.  I think even gatoraide makes a protein version now too called stage 3 or something.
Forced into running and loving every minute
1.5 Mile:
First = 13:38
Current = 7:10
Powered by Powerbar - www.powerbar.com
Dressed for Success in Brooks - www.brooksrunning.com
Running log - http://www.logarun.com/calendars/atimmins/
Running Blog - http://www.powerbar.com/blog/atimmins.aspx

Tchuck

Post by Tchuck » Sun May 23, 2010 1:34 pm

Fueling as soon after a work out as possible is key. This means a nice combination of carbs and protein. Within 20 min is ideal to suck up the nutrients. Chocolate milk is a nice option. I think a 3:1, 4:1 ration is fine of carbs to protein. You also may want to try a protein shake 30 min before a run with water. This can help offset catabolism.

Some supplements I have recommended and have personally had success with are

Curamin - pain, anti-inflammatory supplement with Circumin and other herbs

Peak Physical Performance - Whole grape and Rhodiola extract. Whole grape has been shown to enhance recovery. Rhodiola is one of my favorite herbs and an excellent adaptogen helping with performance and recovery.

http://proactivehealthstore.com/product ... 5QodzhopLA

http://www.seacoastvitamins.com/supplem ... sules-5795

https://www.medicine-plants.com/articles/225/

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20100047372
Last edited by Tchuck on Sun May 23, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who try, fail! Those who do what it takes to succeed, will SUCCEED!

TexNav

Post by TexNav » Sun May 23, 2010 1:35 pm

Funny that you bring up this subject. Typically after a harder/longer session I get in my carbs and a good serving of protein via whole foods. I typically can eat pretty quickly after most of my runs. However yesterday morning, I put in a longer LT type session (11 mi total), on an empty stomach at 7am, and was obviously depleted after. I was also feeling good as I didnt race this weekend and just wanted to relax and read so I went to Starbucks. I had both a chocolate vivanno smoothie (which is a whey protein smoothie), and a soy chai latte. This kind of went against what I normally consume, as I usually try and do whole foods to keep body composition in check. But I'll be honest, I felt great afterwards and soon after relaxing and reading for about 30 mins I was rarin' to do my rehab/corrective exercises, etc. Once I had an opportunity, I did finally get home for a whole food meal, but I really believe that it set me up well for even later in the day, as I went back out later for a second run and I typically dont double too much.

Anyways, in summary the carbs AND protein in liquid form seemed to work great. The whole protein/carb combo is nothing new in general, nor liquid nutrition. The east Germans used it decades ago and I first implemented it some as far back as 1998 after reading some of S&C coach Charles Poliquin's recommendations. I just haven't really haven't done much of it for a while. But after Sat, I might need to try and rethink what I've been doing sometimes. Perhaps I've been erring too much on the side of caution and body comp. and need to use this strategy more often. I also am in Texas and of course had 20 oz of water with a Propel packet before my run, and 32 oz of the same soon after.

I have always liked Biochem whey protein, and Designer Protein. Designer Whey has been around since the late 90's and I have never read any bad review of the product. My body at least digests it well, without gas or bloating, etc. The past few years though I have been rotating my protein sources and was turned onto Biochem. It's taste is great and I believe it is low heat processed as well which minimizes the denaturing of the protein. Plus, if you mix some up in almond milk...to me the taste is amaaaazing. Anyways, not THE answer, just some of my observations.

Physeder

Post by Physeder » Sun May 23, 2010 3:06 pm

:) I concur with the others on the various supplements. But if you are still in Southern Texas (or similar) you have to watch the sweating rate. When I was in College in  Arkansas (Back in the day !!) I ran big (ish) miles one summer in  90deg plus and 90 % humidity. Although I ate and drank plenty I  got sick because I drained minerals through sweating.
Back here in NZ I get my athletes to take Dolomite (Calcium magnesium combo) when we get to rough Heat conditions. Works a treat.
One time one of my guys got a real bad cramp during a Tinman CV session (Sweated profusely) but came right quickly later.
When he did his Officer training for the Navy he made sure he took his Dolomite. Must have worked. He was Top Graduate all round !!!!!
Any Calcium/magnesium supplement would probably help.

Trackrunner220

Post by Trackrunner220 » Sun May 23, 2010 5:13 pm

[quote="Physeder"]

Back here in NZ I get my athletes to take Dolomite (Calcium magnesium combo) when we get to rough Heat conditions. Works a treat.
!
Any Calcium/magnesium supplement would probably help.
[/quote]

What does the calcium magneisum do?

Trackrunner220

Post by Trackrunner220 » Sun May 23, 2010 5:16 pm

[quote="Tchuck"]. You also may want to try a protein shake 30 min before a run with water. This can help offset catabolism.
[/quote]

I drink nutrament, before and after I run on a lot of occasions. it tastes really good (the vanilla does taste like a vanilla shake).
I use the quote just because i found it funny as I was dirnking nutrament one day, I read the quote and was like "... weird"

Bill Bowerman was, and is, and ever shall be a generous, ornery, profane, beatific, unyielding, antic, impenetrably complex Oregon original. As a freshman, I found him deeply disturbing. Once he bet me a case of Nutrament that I couldn't break 2.00 for the 880 on a freezing Saturday morning. I ran with control, hitting the 440 in 60. I could feel myself accelerating in the last lap. Near the finish I knew I'd done it. I slowed and turned, gasping to hear the time. "2.00,3" he said. "Good try." I leaped on him, screaming made insane with outrage. He allowed me to wrestle the watch away from him. It read 1.56,6.
Kenny Moore

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Sun May 23, 2010 5:27 pm

[quote="Tchuck"]
Fueling as soon after a work out as possible is key. This means a nice combination of carbs and protein. Within 20 min is ideal to suck up the nutrients. Chocolate milk is a nice option. I think a 3:1, 4:1 ration is fine of carbs to protein. You also may want to try a protein shake 30 min before a run with water. This can help offset catabolism.

Some supplements I have recommended and have personally had success with are

Curamin - pain, anti-inflammatory supplement with Circumin and other herbs

Peak Physical Performance - Whole grape and Rhodiola extract. Whole grape has been shown to enhance recovery. Rhodiola is one of my favorite herbs and an excellent adaptogen helping with performance and recovery.

http://proactivehealthstore.com/product ... 5QodzhopLA

http://www.seacoastvitamins.com/supplem ... sules-5795

https://www.medicine-plants.com/articles/225/

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20100047372
[/quote]

TChuck,

About that Peak Physical Performance herb, I presume this is a typo in the description:

Peak Physical PerformanceTM 60 capsules Dietary Supplement Boosts Energy and Physical Performance Levels* Recommendations: 1 capsules twice daily. Boost physical performance and energy by reducing oxidative stress. Reduces muscular stress from exercise. Increases power during physical effort. Reduces muscular cramps. Increases recovery after exercise. Optimize athletic performance. Shown to reduce inflammation due to overuse. Clinically studied.* Ingredients Supplement Facts Serving Size: 2 Capsules    Servings Per Container: 30 Amount/Serving Daily Value Proprietary Complex

I presume it should read "decreases recovery time" ...

Can you elaborate on the success that  you've had with it?

Tom

Tchuck

Post by Tchuck » Sun May 23, 2010 6:29 pm

I have had hammy issues a long time. I started taking Rhodiola (with Rhododendron) about 8 months ago. I also started taking Resveratrol and Green Tea and more recently added the Whole grape extract in the below formula about 3 months ago. It may have been a coincidence but my hammys started improving and I was recovering from runs much quicker and also just feeling better as Rhodiola has other benefits.

I took the formulas daily and have never felt better after my half this past Sunday. I was sore but in the past I have been "disabled" sore for many days. I was feeling pretty good in 2 days and bested the time from my last half so I do think the performance enhancing effects are there also. I run 22-25 miles a week and ran a 5K in 20:14 2 weeks before the half. I ran the half in in 1:31.27 which is  excellent carry over endurance. Actually, this half time projects out to a 20:00 5K. So, I am a believer in the performance benefits of the herbs also and do think the extra anti-oxidants play a big part in recovery as does fueling. Running and running hard causes a lot of free radical damage.
Those who try, fail! Those who do what it takes to succeed, will SUCCEED!

kpt4321

Post by kpt4321 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:17 pm

[quote="road dog"]
D_Bean,
On tuesday, I normally run a double and after the second workout I use: whey protein by Body Fortress.  It is a powder than you can mix w/ water, juice, or even milk.  It is 100% daily of protein, and I believe 25% daily of carbs.  Walmart sells it for $15.00.

On sunday, I normally run long, after the workout I use: r4 by Endurox.  Powder.  It is 100% daily of carbs, and I believe 25% daily of protein (kind of like the opposite of whey protein).  If you search online, you can find it for under $40.00 (send me a PM, and I will send you the buyer I usually choose).

Both are effective, though r4 I believe is more effective due to the make-up of 100% carbs.

-road dog
[/quote]

These numbers have got to be typos,.  Daily value for carbs is 300g (1200 calories), for protein is 50g (200 calories).  There is no way you are getting 100% of your daily value from one serving of either supplement.  It's more like one-fifth that.

Endurox R4: http://www.accelsport.com/product-info/ ... -info.html
52g carbs (17% DV), 13g protein (25% DV).

D_Bean

Post by D_Bean » Sun May 23, 2010 10:29 pm

Thanks for the responses, and if there's anyone else out there who would like to add their 2 cents, feel free!

I have heard of folks who have used endurox, cytomax, etc. but some of these I had never heard of. I'll talk it over with coach and see which seems like the best option. Basically, I'm working again this summer and since I'm making a little money here and there I thought it would be good to try to "invest" in doing a better job of taking care of all the little things. As far as post-run recovery goes, for the longest time I've downed a 16-20oz glass of chocolate milk within 20minutes after a run. I guess I was just looking to see what the best things out there are that kind of deliver "the complete package."

D_Bean

Post by D_Bean » Sun May 23, 2010 10:32 pm

@Physeder - Yes, I'm still in SE Texas so, yes, the weather conditions are rough as is, and only getting more rough it was 77 degrees with 85% humidity when I started my run this morning... at 5:15 AM!

I currently take a calcium supplement that contains vitamin D as well, but I've taken it more or less for the purpose of preventing any bone issues. I'll look into Dolomite and maybe give it a shot!