Anyone having fun training around the winter weather...

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

TexNav

Anyone having fun training around the winter weather...

Post by TexNav » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:01 pm

.... since the board has been slow, thought I'd see how/if anyone had been coping with the winter storms.

Couldn't get out Tuesday and was limited to doing some jumping rope for about 20 mins. Wed, had to do a workout on the treadmill (85 mins total) and the only way I can stomach these is doing a really long and slow warmup as I can hang in there knowing there is some fun and faster stuff on the way. Today will be boring for sure, an easy 50 minutes after an hour of lifting.

BoilerTom90

Re: Anyone having fun training around the winter weather...

Post by BoilerTom90 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:20 pm

It's been the TM for me the past couple days. I don' t mind it though as it allows me to watch the news, or even a movie. 

It also allows me to get some hill work in that would otherwise not be possible.

md_master

Post by md_master » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:54 pm

Since I'm from Sweden (and being trained by Tinman) I'm used to running in snow and cold weather. To get good grip I equip the running-shoes with metal studs, the same ones used in studded tires. Then you can run on pure ice if you want to. An alternative is to use your spikes...but they tend to wear out pretty fast. Using a pulse-meter is also advised, since it's easy to run too hard if you try to run the same pace as you usually do when there is no snow. I seem to be able to run the same mileage if I just slow down on all runs..keeping the effort the same though.

incarnadine

Post by incarnadine » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:05 pm

Haven't really had any problems here in Brooklyn. I very much prefer snow to rain; cold rain will stop a run much more so than snow.

ATimmins

Post by ATimmins » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:32 pm

mid to low 60's in NorCal.  I hate winters. :)
Forced into running and loving every minute
1.5 Mile:
First = 13:38
Current = 7:10
Powered by Powerbar - www.powerbar.com
Dressed for Success in Brooks - www.brooksrunning.com
Running log - http://www.logarun.com/calendars/atimmins/
Running Blog - http://www.powerbar.com/blog/atimmins.aspx

TexNav

Post by TexNav » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:36 am

Haha, that was great AT. Typically winter in Texas is a fairly decent time to train. But this nice little spell of ice has not been kind.

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:38 am

I've been lucky since I live near Atlanta. We had a bad week around New Years, so I ran a good mortion of my mileage on a treadmill.

At present, when over half the US is buried in snow we are having a lot of rain at around 35 degrees, which is not bad at all.

I don't see how any of you that live in harsher climates get by without a treadmill.

Schebo

Post by Schebo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:11 pm

[quote="Bob Wildes"]
I've been lucky since I live near Atlanta. We had a bad week around New Years, so I ran a good mortion of my mileage on a treadmill.

At present, when over half the US is buried in snow we are having a lot of rain at around 35 degrees, which is not bad at all.

I don't see how any of you that live in harsher climates get by without a treadmill.
[/quote]

You´re just not used to it. You can pretty much run outside in any winter condition with the right equipment and the right attitude. Gunder Hägg moved to a place with harsher climate just to toughen himself both mentally and physically.
Last edited by Schebo on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:18 pm

I get a better run on a treadmill versus ice. Simple as that.

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:35 pm

[quote="Bob Wildes"]
I get a better run on a treadmill versus ice. Simple as that.
[/quote]

Moreover, I've never fallen on my treadmill. I've wiped out multiple times during winter runs.  I guess I'm getting good at the tuck and roll.

torres

Post by torres » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:36 pm

Hi there American friends!

Here in the middle of Sweden we have to run on snow and ice for about six month every year. And in temperatures down to 30 Celsius below zero. The winter is cold and very dark, but the spring will come in late april and then the legs feels drumming the road.
Last edited by torres on Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:00 pm

Seems to be a relatively large number of posters from Sweden in this thread.

Not sure how Kjell-Erik Stahl trained through the snow or if he lived nearer the milder coast, but
I recall him saying he liked the Honolulu Marathon a lot.

TexNav

Post by TexNav » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:11 pm

I worked with a Swedish Military Officer in 2009. He said that he had friends who ran competitively and for a number of months would cross-country ski instead. As I believe I have seen posted on here similarly before, when they resumed training when conditions were better, they never missed a beat in coming back to running.

ap4305

Post by ap4305 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:08 pm

In triathlon, I have come across many fine Canadian athletes who put the bike and running shoes aside for most of the winter and XC ski for much of their winter training.  With such a short outdoor season you'd think they have no business being highly competitive at triathlon, but there are some really fast dudes up there.  Many head south to Southern California or Arizona for brief winter training camps to get in a little biking and running (those camps are quite the cottage industry at this time of year around here).  I wouldn't expect someone to take up XC skiing and then magically have a great summer a few months later, but it seems to help promote consistency over a period of years, especially if you are veteran athlete with enough skill to cover a lot of ground at a fast pace on your skis. 

road dog

Post by road dog » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:40 pm

I reside in CT, and  it has snowed 12-times from Dec-10 to 2/6/11.  Haven't missed a run yet, and none of them have been on the tredmill either.  However, I have had to move my faster workouts around to avoid the snow(falling) and some of my slower runs have been slower because of the footing. 

-road dog