My experiment with all-moderate training

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: My experiment with all-moderate training

Post by Tinman » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:27 pm

Body fat percentage is an individual matter. I have measured a runner who was 2.3% (I repeated it on another day and it was 2.1% - he told me that the lab director measured him at 1.7%) and he was good runner. However, the guys on our team who were All-Americans, had 6-7% body fat. Most world class male runners are between 5% and 8%. Females Are about 9-13% at the world class.

At 6%, I would say you should not try to go lower.

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

ATimmins

Post by ATimmins » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:27 pm

incardine, if those numbers are accurate you are quite possibly already past that point.  6% is very low.  Don't get caught up in weight loss, its only a good motivator for the ones who have it to loose.  I run my best at 147-152, if i go lower i run like crap.  There is a fine line between fueling and starving.
Forced into running and loving every minute
1.5 Mile:
First = 13:38
Current = 7:10
Powered by Powerbar - www.powerbar.com
Dressed for Success in Brooks - www.brooksrunning.com
Running log - http://www.logarun.com/calendars/atimmins/
Running Blog - http://www.powerbar.com/blog/atimmins.aspx

Nrun

Post by Nrun » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:45 pm

[quote="Tinman"]
As I mentioned before, in a perfect world I would give runners a "hard" workout every 5-days (perhaps 6 or 7 days for older runners).

Tinman
[/quote]

Hey, I think that's me (older, that is, at 53). So is it your opinion that I might make optimal progress if I just do one hard workout a week? That actually sounds good to me, as I've been struggling a little with the two big workouts a week. Then what, like alternate a tempo with an interval run every other week or something?

KTJ

Post by KTJ » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:54 pm

So today is Sunday, and I did my 'long' run of 12 miles.  First two miles were easy and untimed, and I did the next 10 miles at 6:52 average pace.  Some of the interior miles were in the 6:30 range.  Faster than I wanted to run, but I felt fine.  I ran 'comfortably hard' most of the way, but the last few miles I started feeling tired so I slowed it down to 7:10 pace.  We'll see tomorrow if I overdid it. 

incarnadine

Post by incarnadine » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:14 pm

[quote="ATimmins"]
incardine, if those numbers are accurate you are quite possibly already past that point.  6% is very low.  Don't get caught up in weight loss, its only a good motivator for the ones who have it to loose.  I run my best at 147-152, if i go lower i run like crap.  There is a fine line between fueling and starving.
[/quote]

Oh, definitely. I have no interest in going lower myself. I have Crohn's disease and have to take pains to maintain my weight as high as it is, drinking milk and adding calories here and there where I can fit them in; I'm quite happy at 135 pounds.

I'm just fascinated that such a seemingly small weight difference as ten pounds is such a large projected 5k time gap.
Last edited by incarnadine on Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

incarnadine

Post by incarnadine » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:16 pm

And is 2% measured by calipers, or by water displacement? That's so low that he must really stand out visually even among athletes. I'm amazed he doesn't get sick constantly with so little fat buffering his body systems.

KTJ

Post by KTJ » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:50 pm

[quote="incarnadine"]

I'm just fascinated that such a seemingly small weight difference as ten pounds is such a large projected 5k time gap.
[/quote]

Carry a 5 pound dumbbell in each hand for your next 5K and then you'll realize the impact of 10 pounds... 

ATimmins

Post by ATimmins » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:30 pm

10 LBS is huge, espeacially if its anywhere near your legs (thighs, calves, etc)  Just put on some 1 lbs ankle weights and go for a run, its eye opening (farest point from the lever) 

Makes you think about what shoes you wear....
Forced into running and loving every minute
1.5 Mile:
First = 13:38
Current = 7:10