3 week rotation training plan

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

ddtspir06

3 week rotation training plan

Post by ddtspir06 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:20 am

I was thinking of a training plan that I can rotate every 3 weeks that hits all the paces. I would use 2 weeks as a more strength phase, with the 3rd week moving towards lower miles but more speed oriented.  The schedule would look something like this. Or every 3rd week I could race 3k- half marathons.

Q1 - HM-10k pace- mile repeats or 2k repeats
      CV pace - 800 or 1k repeats
      3k-5k pace- 400 repeats

Q2- 4 mile tempo
      30-40 min tempo
      20 min tempo

Long run- 90 mins
                90 mins
                60 mins @ Tinman pace

I'm planning to use this training for a couple of month (6-8 months). any feedback appreciated.

ATimmins

Re: 3 week rotation training plan

Post by ATimmins » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:40 am

what is your current shape? Rotating through all the gears is a great idea if you ask me, i just worry how closely your CV and 10k pace are, becuse you have them as 2 different worouts.  Maybe HMP miles one week, 10k/cv 800s the next week, then 5k 400s would be in order?

Same could be asked is what is the true difference time wise between a 20 min tempo and a 4 mile tempo?  Maybe a Tinman Tempo, 30 min tempo, 20 min tempo.  And then for your long run you could just keep it easy to avoid every 3rd week having 3 quality days?

All just suggestions, either way your schedule looks good, i would just worry about the 3rd week having 3 quality days.
Forced into running and loving every minute
1.5 Mile:
First = 13:38
Current = 7:10
Powered by Powerbar - www.powerbar.com
Dressed for Success in Brooks - www.brooksrunning.com
Running log - http://www.logarun.com/calendars/atimmins/
Running Blog - http://www.powerbar.com/blog/atimmins.aspx

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:57 pm

Would it matter which of the Q1 and Q2 workouts you complete in a given week?
For example, if Q1 is a CV workout, is there a physiological difference if Q2 is a long versus a short tempo effort run?

ddtspir06

Post by ddtspir06 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:06 pm

@ Bolier
I'm not exactly sure. I just figure that if I do a more shorter/intense interval session(relatively speaking), it would be better to complement the 2nd workout as a longer slower tempo.

Likewise, if I were to do a longer repeats(like milers or 2k), it would be better to complement that with a 2nd workout of a shorter faster tempo.

@ Atimmins
My current 5k PR is a 18:13 (ran on a hilly xc type of course). I just ran that 2 days ago. That suggestion of HMP, 10k/Cv/ 5k rotation sounds good.

According to Macmillian running calculator, my tempo should be between 6:10-6:26. So a 4 mile tempo would be over 24 mins. But i see where you are going with this, since a 24-27 min tempo is not much different in terms of effort compared to a 20 min tempo. I think the main idea for this is to just get different tempo effort inside, since I do not like to do the same workout too many times, having run some tempo by mins, and some by distance give me more freedom of choose more workouts.

I think I'll scratch out the 60 min tinman tempo, and just replace it with a 70 min run with a light progression at the end.

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:10 pm

[quote="ddtspir06"]
@ Bolier
I'm not exactly sure. I just figure that if I do a more shorter/intense interval session(relatively speaking), it would be better to complement the 2nd workout as a longer slower tempo.

Likewise, if I were to do a longer repeats(like milers or 2k), it would be better to complement that with a 2nd workout of a shorter faster tempo.

[/quote]

When you start pairing the longer repeats with the shorter tempo, the pace difference between these two won't be much.  If I recall the general rule of thumb Tinman has posted  on here for tempos, a 20 to 30 minute tempo should be about 5K pace plus 25 seconds.  Let's say you're currently an 18 minute 5K runner, that puts your 5K pace at 5:48 (say 5:50 for a round number). The 20 to 30 minute Tempo pace/guide would be about 6:15. Per McMillian, your 1/2M pace is 6:21.    The pace isn't that different, but I guess in one instance you're doing repeats with a rest, and the other instance you're doing a continuous run.
Last edited by BoilerTom90 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:53 pm

ddtspir06 -

Here is what I recommend for your tempo paces:

20 min 6:19.11
40 min 6:29.32
60 min 6:40.10
80 min 7:03.55

Which tempo pace you use depends upon your racing goals and your fitness needs.

Regards,

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

ddtspir06

Post by ddtspir06 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:57 pm

If my goals were to do mainly 10k and below. Do you think I should do the 80 or 60 min tempos?

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:35 am

Either the 20 or 40 minute tempos would be better for you, since races from 10km downward are your goal events.

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

ap4305

Post by ap4305 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:20 pm

From the archives: Some thoughts from Tinman on longer tempos and their application
----------------------
index.php?topic=1279.msg5884;topicseen#msg5884

A Slow Tempo is more intense than easy distance running so there is no doubt it inceases productivity of aerobic pathways and processes relative to the same amount of easy distance running. But, in terms of how much productivity is incresed a moderate tempo is more powerful. 

The big drawback of running tempos too slow is this: an athlete must run much further at that intensity to gain the same benefits as running a moderate tempo run. So, one might say, "Why is that a big deal?" My reply is this:
        Pounding / shock! 

Runners must absorb body weight when running, unlike cyclists and swimmers.  A runner who elevates pounding substantially is going to have a lot of structural damage to mend in the subsequent hours and days. That means other (valuable) forms of training are likely to be compromised.

If an athelte must run 15 miles at Slow Tempo pace to gain the same benefits as running 10 miles at a moderate tempo then his total shock is a lot more. And, that means it takes him an extra day or two to recover from the structural damage than he'd need if he simply ran 10 miles at a moderate tempo pace.

Key; Slow Tempos have benefits but they tend to make runners lose valuable training time - in the days that follow a slow tempo run. It's about like running a marathon! A marathon has hardly any acidosis to it, but the structural damage caused to the legs is enormous. A marathon runner needs nearly a month to repair all that damage, and as a result very little training must be done that would improve performance in that 1 month active recovery period
Allan Phillips
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Tinman athlete since 2003
www.ventanapt.physio
IG: @thekettlebelldoc