achilles tendonitis

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

marath8

achilles tendonitis

Post by marath8 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:04 pm

I seem to have developed achilles tendonitis and am trying not to lose fitness. Has anyone had any luck with biking for keeping fitness and how successful were you. I have a really nice tri bike that I have been using and can bike without any pains. the last 3 days I have been doing some biking dvs that my wife has. Today I ran 6 miles  and had to stop due to discomfort. I have had some really good training with the tin man training and I am nervous about losing my fitness. My A race is not until October but I am really motivated right now and do not want to stop training. Any thoughts are appreciated. Nolan

TexNav

Re: achilles tendonitis

Post by TexNav » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:36 pm

I don't know how successful I was in retaining fitness, but I have used it to maintain my sanity! I think I like aqua jogging the best really. It can be a little of a mental drain sometimes.

I did want to throw in that I have twice tweaked my achilles years back and that I had success using the eccentric-only single leg heel lowering/heel drops in helping get over it pretty quickly. Just thought I'd throw this in, wasn't sure if you were aware of it or had tried them, might be worth it while you are easing off.

marath8

Post by marath8 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:41 am

Thanks tex. Have not heard of that. At this point I am willing to try anything

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:17 am

Aqua running (not jogging) would be good to maintain your running fitness while healing that achilles. I've done it before to get through calf issues, and when I sprained my ankle.

Unless you get some specific workouts from Tinman on how to structure the workouts, I suggest looking at the Pfitzinger site for a plan.  It's boring as can be, and it's not easy: http://pfitzinger.com/labreports/water.shtml

ap4305

Post by ap4305 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:57 am

[quote="BoilerTom90"]
I suggest looking at the Pfitzinger site for a plan.  It's boring as can be, and it's not easy: http://pfitzinger.com/labreports/water.shtml
[/quote]

Ah, yes; the Pfitzinger aqua jog plan....Below is an excerpt from something I wrote related this issue a while back.  Kind of a parody on Dante's Nine Circles of Hell...

http://www.pikeathletics.com/blog/the-n ... g-injuries

4)  Immersion - After a couple of days off, the runner inevitably gets restless worrying about a potential loss of fitness. Enter the aqua jogger. Yes, it has been shown repeatedly that high intensity aqua jogging is the best way to mitigate lost fitness from taking off from "real" running. The problem here is that many coaches and high level athletes act with denial in thinking that the cause of injury will magically disappear. If your ankle mobility is poor, core is unstable, and muscle timing is uncoordinated, a few days in the water won't reset these movement patterns.

If someone offers a formal aqua jogging training plan to maintain fitness, ask yourself "how did this person become so knowledgeable in this area?" Were they themselves injured by poor coaching, thus giving them plenty of time to think about optimal aqua jogging development during their own convalescence? Many of these people have learned from the mistakes of others and can help others avoid the same fate.

Alternatively, have they as a coach become so heavily practiced at hurting people that they have honed the skill of designing aqua jogging plans (and maybe they rent pool space for their athletes to aqua jog)? Just a couple things to consider…
Allan Phillips
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Tinman athlete since 2003
www.ventanapt.physio
IG: @thekettlebelldoc

marath8

Post by marath8 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:00 pm

Unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere and have no close pool access.  So biking it is for me! Thankfully it does not hurt to bike.

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:04 pm

[quote="ap4305"]
[quote="BoilerTom90"]
I suggest looking at the Pfitzinger site for a plan.  It's boring as can be, and it's not easy: http://pfitzinger.com/labreports/water.shtml
[/quote]

Ah, yes; the Pfitzinger aqua jog plan....Below is an excerpt from something I wrote related this issue a while back.  Kind of a parody on Dante's Nine Circles of Hell...

http://www.pikeathletics.com/blog/the-n ... g-injuries

4)  Immersion - After a couple of days off, the runner inevitably gets restless worrying about a potential loss of fitness. Enter the aqua jogger. Yes, it has been shown repeatedly that high intensity aqua jogging is the best way to mitigate lost fitness from taking off from "real" running. The problem here is that many coaches and high level athletes act with denial in thinking that the cause of injury will magically disappear. If your ankle mobility is poor, core is unstable, and muscle timing is uncoordinated, a few days in the water won't reset these movement patterns.

If someone offers a formal aqua jogging training plan to maintain fitness, ask yourself "how did this person become so knowledgeable in this area?" Were they themselves injured by poor coaching, thus giving them plenty of time to think about optimal aqua jogging development during their own convalescence? Many of these people have learned from the mistakes of others and can help others avoid the same fate.

Alternatively, have they as a coach become so heavily practiced at hurting people that they have honed the skill of designing aqua jogging plans (and maybe they rent pool space for their athletes to aqua jog)? Just a couple things to consider…
[/quote]

see, this is why I should just not say anything. I should stick to asking questions and learning...

ap4305

Post by ap4305 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:27 pm

BoilerTom...you brought up a very important issue.  I trust whatever aqua plans Tinman can come up with.  As we know, Tinman had some rough coaches through HS and college that wrecked his body, and we are thankful that he has learned and willingly shared training lessons from those years with the rest of us. 

If someone is truly injured, I think the Pfitz plan can be effective for maintaining cardio fitness as an adjunct, but not replacement, to musculoskeletal rehab and motor learning.  My issue is when someone in that celebrity position distracts people from the main concern, which should be to address the issues that caused injury in the first place, and not masking the problem with several month long aqua jog plans. 

If someone needs a plan that long, they or the coach clearly missed something during months of training.  If the coach is so well versed in designing such plans, it raises red flags as to how they got so knowledgeable in that area.  We simply need a careful dose of skepticism as to how certain authorities acquired their information.
Last edited by ap4305 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allan Phillips
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Tinman athlete since 2003
www.ventanapt.physio
IG: @thekettlebelldoc

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:15 pm

You can maintain excellent fitness from cycling.  Try a find a long mountain road if you have one and do a lot of climbing as this is an excellent way to get LT training end and it is much easier mentally.  Makes for a challenging workout.
I have found that you can maintain fitness with numerous other exercises but you have to be carefull when you return to training.  Your cardiovascular system will be way ahead of your connective tissue if you had a lengthy layoff.  Tendonitis can keep you sidelined for months if it is progressed to a bad state.
Pool running will probably give you a bigger bang for the buck but I don't think that I could handle it mentally.  I did a lot of competitive cycling about 20 years ago and you can get in stellar shape.  What you lose on is the mechanics as they are significantly different.

KTJ

Post by KTJ » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:49 am

I second the eccentric Achilles stretches.  They've fixed my achilles issues in the past very quickly.  I also took Aleve a few hours before running.  The combination of the two was great.

Do a search for "eccentric achilles stretch."  There are youtube videos demonstrating how to do them.

marath8

Post by marath8 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:46 am

thanks all for the replies. I will try the stretches.

TexNav

Post by TexNav » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:23 pm

The one thing that I personally would caution is that I personally don't think of them as a "stretch" per se. I think of it as a weight-lifter would think of a "negative", the resistance is just your bodyweight. Just make sure that you are not lowering/stretching too low and or remaining in the bottom position of the heel drop. The benefit is not from the end range of motion stretch, but from the eccentric lowering movement. There are enough articles that explain exactly why the why's behind it that I would really just butcher the science behind it. I just know that it worked for me.

NAB777

Post by NAB777 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:04 pm

Bumping an old thread rather than starting a new one.

I have developed tendonitis in my left achilles, for about the third time in two years. Very, very frustrating, as just when I start to bump up the kms & see some real benefits, I have to stop running.

I haven't run for two weeks, and just walking around the zoo yesterday made me sore. I want to have as little time off as possible, and also want to get into the strengthening exercises.

Question... what should I be doing right now? Gentle stretches? Icing? Strength work? Total rest for a couple of weeks?

Thanks in advance.

PS - I had to re-register under this name for some reason, as my old details didn't work.

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:09 am

"Were they themselves injured by poor coaching, thus giving them plenty of time to think about optimal aqua jogging development"
AP, tread lightly. Tinman has at least two athletes on here who he coaches who have just gotten over injuries.  I don't think their injuries were a result of poor coaching. 

"If someone needs a plan that long, they or the coach clearly missed something during months of training.  If the coach is so well versed in designing such plans, it raises red flags as to how they got so knowledgeable in that area". 

I agree with a lot of what you post on here but I could not disagree more with this comment.  Let's face it, runners get injured and when we do we turn to our coach for assistance.  It would be a pretty dim coach who could not come up with an aquarunning plan for an athlete during his rehab and spending time in the pool to maintain fitness is mutually exclusive from the injury rehab itself.

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:41 am

How I got over my achilles tendinosis injury recently:

1) I was running hurt off and on all last year with a bit of calf strain and achilles strain. It never really bothered me that much but it never went away either.  This February I aggravated it with some indoor track running and this time I decided to take a month or more off.  It is important to not try to "run through" this injury.  Get off your feet.  Ahhilles injuries heal very slowly and running even a little bit will aggravate the problem even more.

2) Get in the pool right away.  I've done some pool running off and on through my 32 years running and it will maintain your fitness better than a lot of other activities.  I tend not to pay much attention to form when in the pool and I know there are as many theories on how you should move as there are coaches who prescribe this activity. 

The main thing is to get a floaty belt on and jump in the deep end and start working hard.  Tinman gave me some routines like 30sec on/off @ various paces and 2min tempo + 1 min float x 10.  You need to do interval type training in the pool as it is very difficult to maintain any hard effort for more than a few minutes at a time on account of all that H2O resistance.  I spent between 45min and 1 hour every day for three weeks in that pool and I have to say it sucked, but I did it.  Thank goodness for cute lifeguards.

3) eccentric heel drops work, plain and simple.  I am over my injury but am still doing a set of 90 (3 x 15 straight leg and 3 x 15 bent) every day. 

4) massage is the other secret.  I got 5 x 30min sessions spread out every 2-3 days for 2 weeks and it did wonders for loosening up that area and getting all the trigger points smoothed out on the affected tendon.  It also increases blood flow to the affected area and helps to loosen up all the calf and hamstring muscles taking some pressure off the tendon.  On days when I didn't get a massage I rubbed the heck out of my achilles/calf muscles with some A535.

5) stretch daily or even twice a day: calf stretches and hamstring stretches and I used a foam roller a lot and gave my self a good going over with one of those sticks.

6) come back to running slowly.  This is my first real week with any running and I've been out on the trails for 4 days, so far so good, the achilles is 100%.  I've been on a stationary bike the other days.  I found biking was hard on the achilles when it was really sore and tight, so I did pool workouts instead. 

7) figure out why your achilles is injured and correct the problem.  I think my injury may have been caused by a few things, poor running form being one, and am working with Tinman to make sure this injury goes away for good.