Latest Running Times

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

BoilerTom90

Latest Running Times

Post by BoilerTom90 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:21 am

Be sure to pick up the most recent Running Times magazine. There's a piece by Pete Magill, with quotes/advice by Tinman, on running longevity. Some good nuggets of wisdom in there!

Ninetonite

Re: Latest Running Times

Post by Ninetonite » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:55 pm

Picked it up today.  Was readng it and showed the wife the Magill article, "That's my coach getting quoted again."  Now I have to do his training advice some justice with some upcoming races. 

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:40 pm

Pete is calling me this weekend to discuss how I will contribute to his book, which Running Times will sponsor.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Ninetonite

Post by Ninetonite » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:32 pm

Awesome. So is this a book on Masters training?

kevinm

Post by kevinm » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:00 pm

Coach,

Are you still planning on publishing a book? Do you have an ETA?

Kevin

TexNav

Post by TexNav » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:08 pm

If Tinman does follow through with the book eventually (and I can't remember if he'd already planned on doing so) but I think one of the greatest and most invaluable parts of it would be if he weaves in the stories and examples of the people he's worked with and come across, and the training. Ex:, the Mike he often refers to who prospered and ran 1 hour every day while running every other day at approx. 85% HR. Or the other Mike who was the business owner and really did well on 2 Big Workouts. It's one thing to say "here's something good to do". But when you put a name, story, and performances with the real-world training examples it really brings it to life.  Just my humble opinion.

tcl

Post by tcl » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:20 pm

I agree, TexNav. The principles are important, but it's not that hard to gain a basic understanding of them. The tricky thing is making decisions when you have to weigh those principles against one another, and there the stories (especially if they include some mistakes) are invaluable.

Ninetonite

Post by Ninetonite » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:22 pm

We often read books on how the elites train and then try to mimick their schedules.  Most of us of course are not elite, haven't logged 100+ miles a week for years, have perfect genes and access to trainers, dieticians, massage daily etc.  So a book on how regular folks have found running success and the principles that got them there would be a welcome addition to my running library.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:44 pm

I talked to Pete Magill yesterday for about half an hour about the book he's writing, which I will contribute to, along with a dietician. Pete's going to fly out to see me in about a month and we'll brainstorm ideas and fine-tune the process. Pete's got a central theme and I think it's unique. I'll be the exercise science expert for the book and the other gal (can't remember her name, but she wrote a book last year for National Geographic) will write about nutrition.

Gotta do some homework!

Take care,

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

TexNav

Post by TexNav » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:17 pm

That is outstanding and great to hear about Tom! Though I believe most of us are all biased and would still like to see your own book too still.

SomeWeirdSin

Post by SomeWeirdSin » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:26 pm

Congrats! Sounds like the book will be thorough and interesting.