Tinman Running Calculator

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Tinman Running Calculator

Post by Tinman » Thu May 17, 2012 9:54 pm

Heart rates are roughly as follows (varying with weather, hydration status, glycogen levels, hormonal levels, etc.).

Very easy - about 70-73% of HR max

Easy - mid 70s

Moderate upper 70s to low 80s

Tempo - mid to upper 80s

Threshold near 90%

CV low 90s

AP - mid 90s

V.O2 max 98-100% of HR max.

Note, your personal max HR can go up and down. I may test you tomorrow morning and your HR max is 190. Tomorrow at 5pm it may be 196.  The following morning it might be 187. That afternoon it might be 192.

You have to use ranges for heart rates, I think. And, lock into how it's supposed to feel. When it's an easy day, be sure it feels easy, regardless of what your HR is.

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

running26point2

Post by running26point2 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:40 am

Very good Calculator... Nice work guys!

kresimir.karas@gmail.com

Post by kresimir.karas@gmail.com » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:12 am

So why not put in Tinman calculator HM and marathon pace traaining times?

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:05 am

Honestly, I don't know how. A friend from the Air Force who has a Master's degree in computer science input my formulas using coding to secure them. I don't know coding, and my friend has used up his time to help me. I don't expect him to help me further. If someone else, whom I can trust, knows coding and can help with inputting other information that I have, such as heart rate, body weight, running over hills, etc., please contact me.

In summary, I'll be glad to include other information to my www.runningprs.com website, but I need someone to secure my formulas and keep them private. Thanks!
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

CoachRonG

Post by CoachRonG » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:50 am

The calculator does give you an equivalent performance for the the Half Marathon and Marathon, so simply do the math to calculate per mile, per kilometer or per 400.  The calculator does the hard part already.

FTIR

Post by FTIR » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:08 pm

I noted a minor problem this morning.  When I put a time of 2 minutes and 4.5 seconds in for an 800 meter distance, the 800m equivalent performance is listed as 2:03.88.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:31 pm

I know about that problem, but I can't do the code to change it, and it's such a small problem that at this point I am not worried about it. In the next few weeks, with the help of two computer science runners on this website, we'll get those glitches worked out.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com