First Ever Plantar Pain

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

michaelpotter44

First Ever Plantar Pain

Post by michaelpotter44 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:54 pm

Yesterday I did 8 miles and felt great. Did not run in new shoes. I don't think my current trainers are borderline throwaway just yet. I didn't feel any pain afterward, until 6-8 hours later and my left arch was bothering me so I rubbed my thumb the length of my foot along the band (the plantar I assume) and took some advil and stayed off of it. I woke up this morning and the pain is less but now I feel some discomfort in my other foot.

On a scale of 1-10, the "pain" is like a 2. I did not run today and I plan to do a bit more massage and advil and to retire my sneakers for now.

Do you have any advice because I don't want this to keep me from running and then flare up anyway when I come back.

Thank you.

dkggpeters

Re: First Ever Plantar Pain

Post by dkggpeters » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:48 pm

Continue to do what you are doing to both feet with your thumb.  Also try to roll your foot over a golf ball.  If it doesn't hurt when you run then you should be fine.  I am having the same issue and mine hurts more when I walk then when I run.  Also the first steps in the morning are bothersome but if I really did my thumb and massage the arches the pain is much less.  I have no problem with continuing to train with no pain and the problem is going away.  My mileage has been able to climb up to 75 miles a week with no further issues.  Just keep an eye on it and if it gets worse then it is time to be concerned about it.

Also, I have notice that making sure my hamstrings are stretched regularly seems to help a lot as well.  Sometimes the problem can be caused from something much further upstream.

efahl

Post by efahl » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:39 pm

I first hurt my right PF when I ran a 10k in pretty hot conditions (full sun, about 85f, 80% RH) about 10 years ago.  Since that initial injury, I've have flare ups at irregular intervals, but have noticed something of a pattern.  Mine flares when I get dehydrated, and I'm pretty sure that I was pretty dry at the end of that fateful 10k, so for me there appears to be some correlation (possibly causation) between getting dry and having PF pain.

I now pay close attention to hydration and drink a lot during training runs (easy for me, I run on a beach trail with bathrooms every mile or so, and can easily do about 20 miles with only maybe 2 miles between stops).  Since I figured this out, PF has been only a minor annoyance at worst.

michaelpotter44

Post by michaelpotter44 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:24 pm

Thank you for your thoughts. I avoided being barefoot all day Sunday and did some more massage and advil. I read up on a Strassburg sock for when you sleep and about taping your foot before every run (not something I'd like to make a routine).

I went for 5 miles today in new trainers and had no discomfort even at the start of the run and no issues on any hills or downhills. I actually ran really fast by my standards without a lot of effort so it was a good day. Now that the run is over, I feel a slight discomfort in my arches.

I think a big issue for me is that I'm a teacher and I dress professionally every day and I will admit that I deal with frequent lower leg issues (tight calves, sore shins, etc) from 5 days a week of being in dress shoes. The only alternative I've found are Cole Haan Nike shoes that are supposed to be like sneakers for $250. Do you guys know of any alternatives. I don't wear a suit every day. I'm looking for something that would fit with slacks, a shirt, and tie.

Thanks.

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Can you put insoles in the shoes.  See if you can take out the current insole and put one in that has arch support.  If not, I would go to a shoe store and see what they have.  In a worse case scenario try something like on the following link:

http://www.target.com/p/dr-scholl-s-for-her-hidden-arch-supports-1-pair/-/A-13450962

It is only $5 bucks and you would know right away weather or not it would work.  It is for women but who the hell would know or care and I am sure if you google you can find others that are similar.  I can tell right away if I wear normal shoes with no arch support as it bothers my feet as well.  You also may want to consider to exercises to strengthen your feet.  Start slow and do it consistently as it may take a while.  Also try the following stretch which helped me quite a bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM4g6lRSA_E&feature=related

When I started doing this stretch I started noticing improvement rather quickly.  It may or may not work for you.

TexNav

Post by TexNav » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:40 pm

I got  hit with plantar fascia pain which stayed with me for just about 1 year. It started when I inadvertently started running too moderately too much. It was enough though to make me take about 3 weeks off last October. It continued to flare up again early this spring and by the end of March or first of April while I was out doing a Tempo run I was reduced to walking as my (opposite) left ankle started to get tight, stiff and just plain painful. It is my theory that I finally started overcompensating on the left side to avoid the right foot PF pain. Mine was in deep in the heel and calcaneus though.

As far as things that kept it at bay. I was taking the back end of a screw-driver, in the place of an NMT tool to dig deep and massage the whole calcaneus and heel area. Lots of deep strokes in multiple angles and directions, as well as along the bottom of the foot from the bottom of the toes to the heel. The Strassburg sock worked, when I could stand it (it pulled on my toes too much). I would also do very long static stretching of my calves. 30 seconds each side to warm up. Then 3 minutes each side to try to get the fascia to release. (I recommend the stretch position where you are wedging your foot against an angled board, etc., definitely not to be done while hanging off the edge of a step. I was also doing a lot of self-massaging up into the calf areas. And finally, I was shown how to rig up my own little self-stim apparatus with a couple of wires and a 9 or 6 volt battery. It sounds crude, but with the electrodes held on opposite sides of the painful area for 5 minutes before running, it got me moving on many occasions I otherwise might not have been able to.

However, really what finally helped, was simply taking off a full month from running. It wasn't by choice as that ankle got painful, but it is what it finally took to get over it. I've had a couple of twinges here and there in my PF, but I've kept on top of it as best as possible now and it has all but disappeared.

Not saying that yours will ever get nearly as bad, but just some strategies and ideas to think about if it gets worst.

rycase

Post by rycase » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:58 am

[quote="michaelpotter44"]
Yesterday I did 8 miles and felt great. Did not run in new shoes. I don't think my current trainers are borderline throwaway just yet. I didn't feel any pain afterward, until 6-8 hours later and my left arch was bothering me so I rubbed my thumb the length of my foot along the band (the plantar I assume) and took some advil and stayed off of it. I woke up this morning and the pain is less but now I feel some discomfort in my other foot.

On a scale of 1-10, the "pain" is like a 2. I did not run today and I plan to do a bit more massage and advil and to retire my sneakers for now.

Do you have any advice because I don't want this to keep me from running and then flare up anyway when I come back.

Thank you.
[/quote]

A couple of things to consider:
  • More than likely you have tight calves which indirectly caused your issue - focus on your stretching equally
  • You can actually "overdo it" with a golf ball or anything hard enough to provide some fascial relief
  • Several types of night splints are available. I have about 10 (strausburg sock, boots, etc)- and only 1 that works (search for futura night splint on amazon)
  • Rest seems to help many - I am not one of them (nor was professional athlete Mike Sayenko) - experiment with what works
  • Topical OTC anti-inflammatories such as penetrex really do very very little
  • Myofascial treatments (ASTYM, Grastons , Gua Sha) will all offer immediate benefit - I only find Gua Sha to help in the long run
  • Some will recommend more support, some will recommend minimalist - I believe a balance is ultimately what matters, each of have benefit. In the end, proper foot wear for you is what matters
  • I find compression socks make PF pain worse as the calf is tightened which indirectly aggravates it more
  • A GOOD massage therapist can make a huge difference in your running - including your PF pain
Good luck!

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:30 pm

Michael -

I teach too, and recently I bought some Skecher leather shoes, which are more formal. They have low heels, and the cushioning is better than typical dress shows. I recommend you check them out.

Tinman

www.runningprs.com
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com