Adductor???

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

cellis242001

Adductor???

Post by cellis242001 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:13 pm

Hey all! I am dealing with what I believe is an adductor strain; I hope. I noticed some soreness after a long run one evening in my upper inside thigh area, near my groin area, and the next day when I woke up it was really sore for awhile and then lessened as the day went on. I thought it was some residual from just muscle soreness. I rested a few days and then came back to jogging for a few days. I ran a speed workout a week later for my training and felt the soreness again. I still finished out a week and a half of training with just light jogs (not smart I know) and finished my last race which I actually PR'ed in, but the next morning it really throbbed, and I actually felt pain when I sneezed.

I started looking up articles online and I tested the adductors by putting a towel between my knees and squeezing and it hurt, and I felt pain when I brought my leg across my bodies center-line. I felt the pain right at the crotch region mostly. I have taken two weeks off from running so far and only do 2 exercise bike rides a week to keep some weight off, and it doesn't hurt as much, but there is still tenderness if I bring my leg across the center of my body.

My questions are:
1) Should I cut out the bike rides 
2) Does this sound like an adductor issue, or something worse, the hurting while sneezing thing has me worried
3) Has anyone else dealt with this that has some advice?

Thanks,
Chris

dkggpeters

Re: Adductor???

Post by dkggpeters » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:06 pm

I have had similar issues twice.  Mine started with the hip flexor tendonitis and the problems moved down to the upper inside thigh and groin area.  The first time this happened I continued to run and it hurt like hell for the first mile and was somewhat manageable until it got to a point where if I was lying on my back I could not lift my leg up at all.  I was out for about  to 5 months and it would hurt when I sneezed over a year after the injury.  What fixed the problem for me was doing weights to strengthen the hip area.  I was able to do cycling in the interim with zero pain and this kept me in decent shape.

The second time was just recently where it started as the hip flexors and really high on the quad felt strained.  Once again the inside thigh and groin became tender and irritated.  I was just before the taper for a marathon when this happened and I ran a half marathon 2 weeks prior to pace a friend.  Afterwards I could not walk so running was out of the question and I had to pull out of the marathon.  Bummer as I was in sub 3 shape.  I took 3 weeks off and was able to start running again.  It was still really tender for the first couple of weeks but now I have no pain and all mobility has returned.  I didn't do anything rehab this time and just gave it time as my hip area was strong from lifting for months prior to the injury.

How long it may take to heal is the tricky part.  The first time took months and the second time weeks.

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:11 pm

What is helping me now on my recovery is stretching in which I am doing AIS and foam rolling on a regular basis.  Like I mentioned earlier I now have full mobility where before I had not lateral strength and couldn't stand on one foot.

cellis242001

Post by cellis242001 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:41 pm

Thanks dkggpeters! I appreciate the helpful advice. I actually just ordered a foam roller. I've been doing some strengthening work to try to build up my adductors also. What kind of exercises did you do to strengthen your hip??? Not a big weight lifter here, so I don't know a lot about that. Mostly work on core strength and leg strength, and not a lot of upper body stuff.

Linus

Post by Linus » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:00 pm

The snezzing pain could be the back.

1 Is the pain the same on both sides?

2 Can you preform a SLR test and a PKB test?

3 Any weakness or numbness in the lower body?

4 Feels totally normal when going to the toilet?

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:07 pm

I did the following weights for the hips

Squats (lowbar) and go down to parrallel
Deadlifts
Bulgarian Split Squats
Lunges (Weighted)
Step ups (weighted)

You can do all of the above with just bodyweight with the exception of Deadlifts.

cellis242001

Post by cellis242001 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:22 pm

Linus:
1) Pain is on one side; left groin/ thigh area.
2) You've got me on the SLR and PBK tests. I will look those up. (Will reply with answers later.)
3) No weakness or numbness
4) No problems with toilet visits.

dkggpeters: Thanks so much!

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:22 pm

SLR test is Straight Leg Raise test - has about about .4 correlation with sciatic nerve problems. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HvC9vBfW0o

PKB is Prone Knee Bent test - It's a good test for identifying where the pain is originating. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9Vxi3DQY98

You may want to try the Slump Test too:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2cabfsTB2c

You might want to do these hip-flexor exercises: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLBhvikSoKI
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com