Race warm-up

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

efahl

Race warm-up

Post by efahl » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:46 pm

I was reading old threads about doubles, specifically this reply by Tinman http://www.therunzone.com//viewtopic.php?p=13547#p13547 .  It occurred to me that an optimal race warm-up would be an EZ-pace 2 miles about 3-4 hours before race time, followed by the usual muscle warming jogs just prior to takeoff.  Thoughts?

BoilerTom90

Re: Race warm-up

Post by BoilerTom90 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:15 pm

For most races, it's good to do some fast running as part of that warmup. This [fast part] could be a few minutes of CV or tempo running, followed by some race pace strides. Complete this about 15 minuts before the race. Then, continue to do bouts of light jogging and strides up until the race starts.

dmedeiros@uwa.edu

Post by dmedeiros@uwa.edu » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:36 am

I have learned from Tinman that there needs to be some tempo or CV paced runs in the warm-up to infuse the type IIa fibers with blood. Easy running won't be enough to do that - it's force dependent, I think. THis is in addition to strides/run outs just before the race. We also try to finish these runs about 15' before the race.

Jeff_D

Post by Jeff_D » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:07 pm

A shakeout is a routine standard of many distance runners on race days, even for those who do not partake in doubles. For most it varies between just 5 minutes of very slow running to 3 miles anywhere from 2-12 hours out. Obviously you should experiment and see what works best for you and dont be afraid to try a more aggressive warm up or longer shakeout (assuming your fitness is up to par). For most well conditioned runners, a few miles in the morning and then a few miles EZ, CV or tempo running for a few minutes and a variety of strides working through slower to faster running will leave you energized and loose before your race and you'll find yourself more comfortable in the early stages. The east africans are great examples of this. Their warm up routine will involve a good volume of easy running and the tempo will increase to what we would call tinman tempo by the end. They then enter a series of drills and stretches which wake them up neuromuscularly and then go through a series of strides that will usually be capped of with some 60-100m sprints about 15 minutes out.

Also, I think a key to warming up is giving yourself time to fully recover and let yourself get into a good calm mindset before hand. In any high caliber race the athletes must stand on the starting line through introductions. Many will be very calm, hands on hips, staring ahead and not need to excessively bounce, stretch or move about as they are already loose.

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:54 pm

I have found 10-15min easy jogging + 3 x 2min @ CV with 1min recovery jog + 4-5 x 100m strides @ 5km pace down to 1500m pace and a few more minutes of easy jogging to the start line is the perfect warmup.  Start the WU about 25min before the race.  I use the same warmup before intense track workouts.

efahl

Post by efahl » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:40 pm

I should have quoted this passage in my opening post, as it's the basis for my query.  I've boldfaced the important part, which led me to ask about doing a "training run" 3-4 hours prior to race start.  Has anyone tried this, i.e., running a short workout 3-4 hours prior to the event?

[quote="Tinman"]Oxidative enzymes reach their peak activity 3-4 hours after a training run/workout. Thus, the first run serves as an "activator" for the second run. Hence, more energy can be created per unit time via oxidative phosphorylation; you can either run distance faster because more oxidative energy is created per unit of time, or your can run faster over a short distance (like the 1500m-5000m) because you aren't dipping as deeply into anaerobic capacity, which causes fatigue.[/quote]

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:27 pm

For sure, if your race is not early in the morning, run 15-20 minutes in the morning and your race later in the day will be better. In fact, you can even jog 15 minutes in the morning, a jog of another 15 minutes in the early afternoon, before an evening race. Yes, a 3-4 hour run before you race is ideal, and the warm up in the last hour before your race. I adjust warmups based on the time of day for the race. If there is no time to run earlier in the day, I recommend a warm up that starts about 50 minutes before the race, with some harder running about half an hour out from the race, some rest, hydration, restroom, changing into racing gear, and then another warm up closer to the race, which some easy speed in it.

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

kevinm

Post by kevinm » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:47 pm

One of my favorite warm-up patterns is to run a total of 3 miles including 800 tempo run and 2 x 200's at 3k-5k pace about 2 - 4 hours before the race. I then shower and relax until about 25 minutes before the race. Then I do a short cv run of apx 90 seconds with a few striders before the race. It helps me relax before the race, and if there are any complications at the race, I am confident that I have already done a solid warm-up. I have noticed in the past some of my best races are my 2nd event of the day and this pattern replicates that experience.

Kevin

toughnessbucket

Post by toughnessbucket » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:31 pm

How about before a 11 am half marathon?

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:38 pm

toughness -

If your 1/2 marathon race is 90 minutes or longer, just jog 6 minutes and run about 2 minutes at Tempo pace. Jog another 2-minutes and you are done. The further under 90 minutes you run for a half-marathon the harder your warm up must be. A 1-hour marathon runner needs about a 20-minute warm up with 8 minutes of tempo running in it, as an example, I recommend.

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

efahl

Post by efahl » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:38 pm

Thanks, Tinman, that confirms my what I thought you were saying.  I did my first half this morning (1:33, better than goal 1:35, so ok), but did not get up at 0400 to run an early warmup. :)  I'll start doing this for my later-in-the-day races, though and see how it feels.