Training suggestions for XC runner who won't run Track

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

toughnessbucket

Training suggestions for XC runner who won't run Track

Post by toughnessbucket » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:38 pm

Long story short - Sophomore boy hasn't decided he doesn't want to run track this spring. He ran 4:50 1600 as 9th grade and 5k pr is 16:59.
Welcome any training suggestions to help him stay in shape until XC conditioning starts in June.

Clell

Re: Training suggestions for XC runner who won't run Track

Post by Clell » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:48 pm

Buy him a tank of gas for his car for each 5k he runs between 17:30 and 18:15. :)    Seriously, the long range goal of improving upon his already good times should be motivation enough. If you can build a bridge mentally and emotionally that staying in shape will keep the ball rolling - as Tinman teaches - and increase his chances of safely improving his times.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Training suggestions for XC runner who won't run Track

Post by Tinman » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:49 am

T -

I recommend that you talk to the lad about what training he intends to do; if he does not join the track team. It's important to know what he's up to and guide him in the right direction. I would ask him if he'd like to run some local road races in the spring, which would give him tangible targets for which to shoot and a means for you to measure his progress.

Also, if he run 35-45 miles a week all spring and bumps it to 45-55 this summer, I think you'll find a stronger runner who is able to run low 16's for 5km next fall.

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com