How to get in shape after injury?

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

kresimir.karas@gmail.com

How to get in shape after injury?

Post by kresimir.karas@gmail.com » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:49 pm

In your Tinman running calculator which tempo is your so called "Tinman tempo"?

And what is the best way to get in shape after 30 days without training. I have sprained ankle, the injury comes on running ?

I try to run but after every running i feel pain.
Before that i use Tinman training ideas with success.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How to get in shape after injury?

Post by Tinman » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:11 pm

Tempo in my calculator is Tinman Tempo. However, I use the term Tempo loosely to some degree because I tell the runners I coach to run as much by effort as by pace for tempo. Furthermore, I often tell them to run 5km-pace plus 60 seconds a mile the first mile until the warm up, and then progress to the Tempo in my calculator or about 5km-pace plus 45-50 seconds per mile, which is about the same.  It's a pace that's above moderate but not hard. If you use heart rate, is in the mid-80% range (82% to start and about 85-86% after you have been running it several minutes.
Last edited by Tinman on Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

kresimir.karas@gmail.com

Post by kresimir.karas@gmail.com » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:22 am

Thanks God we have Tinman and his experience! And second question about how to restore shape after ankle i jury, i was in 21 min 5k before that ( 30 days ago)?

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:47 pm

Run Tempo Segments, as I call them. Long repeats at Tempo pace with short recoveries will restore your endurance quickly. Try 1000m reps, progressing to 2000m reps with 30-60 seconds recoveries. Do that three times per week for 3-4 weeks. That will give you a Foundation for more intense training later.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Barney

Post by Barney » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:41 pm

Curious Tinman, how many 1k or 2k repeats, same as CV workout volume wise (~5k to 7k)?  These are done at TT pace though, not CV pace.

I was "banged up" for much of 2012 with minor ailments that prevented me from doing anything fast or long.

Thanks!

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:30 pm

If you have been off for a month (no running), the start with 3 x 1km (walk 30 seconds btw reps). Add a rep every time you do the workout until you can run 10km in total of reps). Then, lengthen the reps gradually until you can, over a 2-3 week period of the time, handle 5 x 2km at Tempo pace. At that point, you will notice that you are probably ready for continuous tempos of 6 miles and threshold or CV workouts of lower volume.

I recommend that you add 50-100m easy striders after 2-weeks of running. By the 4th week you should be able to handle 8-10 x 100m at your 5km speed (walk 20 seconds btw reps). Add reps until you can handle 20 x 100m at your estimated 5km speed. Then, you are ready for faster threshold and CV intervals.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

wuxcalum

Post by wuxcalum » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:43 pm

What about coming back after a 6 month lay-off?  I had some bad Plantar Fasciitis and should be running for the first time later this month since November.

Thanks!

Jimmy

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:56 pm

You need to jog for a month before even thinking about doing any sort of easy quality.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com