Last Quality Workout before Boston

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

dkggpeters

Last Quality Workout before Boston

Post by dkggpeters » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:54 am

I was curious as to what my last quality workout should be prior to Boston which I plan on running tomorrow.

Below is a summary of the last 4 weeks of training and I have averaged 87 miles per week over the last 3 months.  Also,  I am targeting a 2:48 time.

4 Weeks Ago
Quality  7 x 1k at CV pace + 4 x 200m at mile pace built into a big workout of 13 miles total
Long Run  17 miles at moderate pace 
Total weekly miles = 79

3 Weeks Ago
Quality  10 mile tempo at 6:06 avg built into a big workout of 16.5 miles
Long Run  20 miles with 12 at MP 6:18 vs goal of 6:25
Total weekly miles = 94

2 Weeks Ago
Quality  6 x 1k at CV pace + 4 x 200m at mile pace built into a big workout of 15 miles
Long Run  22.6 miles at Moderate pace
Total weekly miles = 94

1 Week Ago
Quality  8 mile tempo at 6:10 avg built into a big workout of 15 miles
Long Run  21 miles with 14 at MP 6:16 vs a goal of 6:25
Total weekly miles = 92

For this week should I do 6 to 7 1k CV intervals,  5 to 6 miles at hour race pace with 1:30 to 2:00 recoveries, or should I do a tempo of 8 miles at MP.  All my runs this week have been easy and my LR with MP last week was performed on Saturday so I feel fairly rested.

dkggpeters

Re: Last Quality Workout before Boston

Post by dkggpeters » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:14 am

I ended up doing 12 miles as follows:

3 mile warm up
5 x 1 mile at hour pace (5:48 avg) with 1:20 avg recoveries (.15 mi)
3.4 mile cool down

Wellpark

Post by Wellpark » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:30 am

Hey DKG,

You know yourself best and you look to be in pretty good shape. I hope todays run was a confidence booster and left you feeling ready for your taper and the 'main event'.

Plenty of time now to relax - recover - fuel - sharpen and GO!

I look forward to hearing how you get on at Boston......

Wellpark

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:47 am

Wellpark,

Thanks.  I felt today's run went really well as I was targeting 5:55 to 6:00 and felt comfortable at 5:48 avg with shorter then expected rests.  My HR was also a couple of beats lower then what I projected which shows that I didn't strain on the workout.  My confidence is pretty high right now and I couldn't be any happier with how my training went this cycle.  I was originally planning on a 2:55 and ended up dropping my target to 2:48 as my paces indicate that I can even go faster then this.

Now it is off to recovery and taking care of the small details such as sleep, nutrition, hydration, and rolling.  I will do a few MP miles between now and then just to wake the legs up but the rest will be really easy running.

I will keep everyone posted on my results at Boston.

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:56 pm

Quick update on Boston and I will post more later.

Actual time 2:47:32 vs a goal of 2:48:00.  I could not be any happier.    Ran fairly even splits 1:23:31 first half and 1:24:01 second half.  Happy with the splits as the hills were were in the second half vs the downhills in the first half.  I got 22nd place in the 45 to 49 division.  For turning 50 this year I am extremely pleased.  The big workouts are the reason why I was able to run this time today.

Dave

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:13 pm

Great race Dave! Couldn't agree more on the Big Workouts comment!

Wellpark

Post by Wellpark » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:47 pm

Dave

Brilliant stuff - I apppreciate news and events has taken things over and put a different perspective on things. Lets not let whatever twisted mind defeat the spirit of the event. Celebrating the victory of the human spirit.

I admire you and others all the more.

Take care and I hope you and your family are well.

All the best

Wellpark

Clell

Post by Clell » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:43 am

Great Race. Congratulations on exceeding your goals. And am glad you are safe. I'm almost 50 and need to pick it up some. ;)

toughnessbucket

Post by toughnessbucket » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:51 am

DK congratulations on an impressive time and race on Monday. I was there also and unfortunately ran into problems the last 3 miles. Unfortunately, I dropped from 2:50 pace to 2:54:04 at the finish. Obviously, you didn't have any problems with the eastern wind or dehyrdration and that is very impressive considering the elites times dropped as the race progressed near Boston. I am 50 and you will challenge for a top 10 place if you return next year.

On another note, I am glad you were safe after the race.

runkona

Post by runkona » Fri May 10, 2013 4:42 pm

[quote="dkggpeters"]
Quick update on Boston and I will post more later.

Actual time 2:47:32 vs a goal of 2:48:00.  I could not be any happier.    Ran fairly even splits 1:23:31 first half and 1:24:01 second half.  Happy with the splits as the hills were were in the second half vs the downhills in the first half.  I got 22nd place in the 45 to 49 division.  For turning 50 this year I am extremely pleased.  The big workouts are the reason why I was able to run this time today.

Dave
[/quote]

Hey Dave, this is awesome work. Are you report that the majority of the work you did was following CV and tempo's for 18mths to go from targeting 3:20 at Chicago, now running time 2:47:32 . Perhaps you have a gift or genetics that enable to perform. I'm only a year or two younger than you, and it too has been 18mth since knee surgery after a 2yrs off from running because of the injury. It would appear from your posts that it would seem that using CV's, tempos' and long runs on the weekend building the volume over 18mths has been the key. Would you mind sharing in bullet point what you think has been the key.
Having just run sub 1:25 on a -2% 13.1 course I find that a very very large challenge to hang on to the end: then to think to run this pace for 26.2 would seem nearly impossible for twice the distance and time whether I have the capacity.....maybe it's the building the endurance and mixing in MP pace over the next 12mths one could see a similar result. The only spanner in the works for me is I have to also mix in swim and bike....though I am thinking for perhaps for the next 3 mths just run bike. I would love to run 1:19 for 13.1 and go 2:55 for a 26.2
Age is just a number after your name

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Sat May 11, 2013 10:34 am

Runkona,

I tend to think that I have good genetics but I am also driven and am willing to put the work in.  My problem is not being motivated but having to hold myself back so that I don't overdo things.

For me what really helped on the Marathon for Boston was the following:

1.)  2 Big workouts a week.  I would do 15 midweek with either CV intervals or tempo miles built in.  I did long tempo runs of 6 to 10 miles and for CV I generally only did 6 x 1K (8k to 10k pace) with 200m jog recoveries and 4 x 200m at around mile race pace.  I would alternate doing a tempo one week and the CV intervals the next.  On the weekend I would do a long run of 18+ miles with MP miles at the end. I would start about 13 weeks out with 5 miles at MP and progress over the next 12 weeks to 14 miles at MP.  I did these every other week.  The other weeks long runs was one at moderate pace (MP +30) and a cut back week with an easy 16 miler.  Big workouts really build a lot of stamina in my opinion.
2.)  Ran much higher mileage then in the past.  I averaged just south of 90 miles a week for 12 weeks leading up to Boston.  In the past I would average around 60 miles a week if I was lucky over the same period of time.  Outside of the Big Workouts these were easy miles about 1 minute slower then MP.  I seemed to adapt to higher mileage quite well.
3.)  Ran 7 days a week. I had a streak of 108 days straight.  I felt that running everyday increased my efficiency quite a bit.  I never really had any bad days and always felt pretty good.  I used to run 5 to 6 days a week and now am a believer in running everyday.
4.)  Determined root cause of previous injuries and corrected the problems.  I used to have a lot of issues with my hips and ITB and resolved that by strengthening my posterior chain by lifting weights.  After I resolved those issues I had a lot of problems with my ankles and resolved this as I found out I had weak feet.  I strengthened them by doing single leg balancing and with eyes closed and on a wobble board.  I used to get injured all the time and couldn't do more then 60 miles a week for more then 6 weeks before breaking down.  After resolving the issues I was able to start running much higher mileage.  I was also able to get completely off of NSAID's and can also now run the majority of my miles on asphalt which I couldn't do before.

Here is a link to my training that I post on Daily Mile if you would like to see all of my training going back:

http://www.dailymile.com/people/David14#ref=tophd

Hopefully this helps some.  If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask as I would be more then happy to answer any questions that you may have.

Dave

Wellpark

Post by Wellpark » Fri May 24, 2013 9:11 am

Great insight and really helpful Dave.

It's not rocket science. Total respect re your discipline and commitment re doing what works for you.

All the best. What's next?

Wellpark

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Sun May 26, 2013 7:47 am

I plan on knocking out a some 5 and 10K's over the summer since I have not raced any of these since High School which was over 30 years ago.  I won't PR vs those years but will set my 2nd (really 3rd) running life PR's.  I am also going to run the Akron Marathon at the end of September.  I will be my first marathon in the new age group of 50 - 54.  It is funny as out where I live this age group is a lot faster then the 45 - 49 age group.  I plan on going 2:45 or possibly 2:43.  I always wait until the last month to make a determination.

You are correct that it is not rocket science.  It is more about consistency then trying to be fancy.  I go under the motto on hard workouts "can I do this for the next couple of months?" and if the answer is no then I know that I am pushing to hard and dial it back.  I would also rather toe the line at 98% then try and be 100% and sitting on the sidelines.  I have a quite a history of downtime due to injury and had to really rethink my attitudes about training.