Advancing and improving Tempo pace after a layoff

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

TexNav

Advancing and improving Tempo pace after a layoff

Post by TexNav » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:48 pm

I am about 4 weeks back into running from a 2 month layoff. Even before then I wasn't getting in a lot of stamina work so it's been awhile since I've worked this range of pace, and been years since I've had to really work from the bottom back up. I've now been able to get an idea of my current/appropriate Tempo pace, one that is doable for 35-40 minutes without feeling completely wiped out, a conservative approach for sure.

Any recommendations on how much I might try to slowly drop my pace over time? I believe that Tom had mentioned once that one might see about a 2-3 second improvement every 2 weeks in base or easy day paces under very good circumstances. (I could be mistaken and have not been able to dig up the exact figure).

So, just curious to see what has worked for others.

dkggpeters

Re: Advancing and improving Tempo pace after a layoff

Post by dkggpeters » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:40 pm

I do my tempo runs using heart rate.  I start at 150 and let it drift up to 154 or 155.  By doing this I know that I am not pushing to hard and running at the correct intensity.

If you use heart rate then you need to be aware of how heat will increase your heart rate.  If your weather conditions are consistent from session to session then heart rate is a good gauge to use while you are improving from week to week after a long layoff.  This way you are preventing yourself from racing the workout and on the next session you don't have to worry about pace.

There are limitations to using heart rate but it can be useful as well.  It worked well for me as my fitness kept improving and I wasn't sure what pace to target.  Heart rate took care of it and I ended up having really good quality sessions.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:48 pm

Try using a simple reference that is repeatable as you means of figuring out how much fitness you have gained, how much you can speed up your training paces, and so on.

10-12 minutes w-up run. Then, run 1600m in the track or run a down and back course (half-mile out, turn around, half-mile back). Run at a steady heart rate. Let's say 40 beats below max. Look for a time that drops at the same heart rate. If it's dropping, you are fitter, aerobically. If you speed up 5 seconds per mile at the same heart rate, you are 5 seconds fitter at slower speeds and probably 3 seconds fitter at faster speeds/mile. So, adjust your distance paces by 5 seconds. For interval 1000s at CV, adjust your pace 2.5 seconds (faster).
Last edited by Tinman on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

TexNav

Post by TexNav » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:44 pm

Very nice, thank both!