Rest days

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

runthe8

Rest days

Post by runthe8 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:09 pm

Wondering about giving my son a day or two off, strategically placed in his training to help him as he moves into championship season late October.  He hasn't missed a day since early June.  He's not tired, he's not injured, and he's racing well.  Is there any reason to do so?  I was thinking that a rest day 2 or 3 days before a big meet might be a simple way to help him feel especially fresh on race day.  Any thoughts?

ap4305

Re: Rest days

Post by ap4305 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:45 pm

No particular reason to do so, but I'd experiment on a meaningless dual or other small meet to see how it goes if its a new strategy.  Everyone comes back from rest days a little differently (some feel sluggish, others energized).  Probably the best reason would be to catch up on sleep, homework, etc as the semester rolls on.  Not necessary from a pure running perspective in this case. 

kevinm

Post by kevinm » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:55 pm

My vote is no! He is running well, and unless he is showing signs of mental fatigue, I wouldn't change anything! You don't want him to lose even the smallest amount of fitness. The season isn't far from being over. Before being coached by Tinman, I used to take off a day two days before a race thinking I would be fresher. I haven't had an off day before a race in two years, and I always feel plenty fresh and ready to race.

Kevin

gman

Post by gman » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:51 pm

From what you said - he's not tired/injured/etc., there's no reason for the days off.  However, if your son is feeling he is needing a day off, then give it to him...give him two.  He is still young, so this is a good time to experiment.  Like ap4305 said, you don't know how he will react to the days off.   
Last edited by gman on Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:02 pm

If your son is sick, looks exhausted (from school or training), then give him rest days. If he's fine, keep the momentum going and take no time off. Just pay attention to his attitude, more than his running performances. If he appears grumpy, that's your first sign he's needing recovery. Attitudes that are not as positive as normal are a sure (first) sign that a runner's physical performance will deteriorate.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com