Quality the day before a workout

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

TexNav

Quality the day before a workout

Post by TexNav » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:33 pm

What is the minimum and maximum amount of "quality" that folks have found to be beneficial the day before a workout?
I'm finding even more lately that I'm needing some more up-tempo type of work the day before a workout. Except for a recent stretch the past 2 weeks my Saturday workouts have been a struggle. I'll go out with a Tempo run in mind for the workout, struggle, then just make it an easy fartlek. Come Sunday though after going out with an easy run in mind, I inadvertently gradually start speeding up to a Tempo pace, and faster than what I was trying the day prior. I'm wondering if it is because I have just long enough between my Tuesday workout and Saturday's, that I need something a little more than just strides or hill sprints on Friday to get going the day before. Maybe 2-5 minutes at least at an easy Tempo effort, in addition to some easy strides or hill sprints. Seems like I'm needing to actually plan this now, whereas in the past, sometimes it just happened, and worked out well. 

Spider Man

Re: Quality the day before a workout

Post by Spider Man » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:37 pm

Not a direct answer to your Q Tex, but you might find this article on "muscle tension" of interest ...
http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2010/03/key-to-running-fast-on-race-day-muscle.html

FTIR

Post by FTIR » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:14 pm

Are you doing 2 workouts and a long run or 2 big workouts a week?

BURN7

Post by BURN7 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:19 am

Spider
I enjoyed that a lot.  It reiforces Tinman's rcommended per-meet workout.  Hitting 5 - 6 X 100 at 1,600 pace with 30 seconds betweem.  That really got my athlete ready to roll the next day.

Spider Man

Post by Spider Man » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:56 am

Hi Burn ...Yes, the Magness article got me thinking as it was counter to what I tended to do as an athlete i.e. rest the day before a race. The idea of muscle tension itself was (to me) a novel idea but on reflection the idea clearly has merit. Now, with the younger athletes I advise, having done a workout on Wednesdays, I recommend rest (or very easy jog on Thursdays), & some strides on the Friday before a Saturday race.

TexNav

Post by TexNav » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:56 am

Thanks for the article.

Right now, the days before my workouts are an easy 3-4 miles. Wondering if I should be aiming for at least 2-3 minutes up-tempo at the end of the run, in addition to short hill sprints or strides. This could also just be a bit of a phase as my non-training schedule could be throwing off my training. But, it was happening enough lately to make me start to take notice.