Flotrack WOW at Wisconsin

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

BURN7

Flotrack WOW at Wisconsin

Post by BURN7 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:33 pm

They posted a wprkout done by the Wisconsin men where they ran a 3 mile temp at 5:30 pace, then changed sneakers and ran 2- 2.5 miles at 4:45 pace jogged a 400 the ran 8 X 400 in 70 with a 100 jog recovery.

I really like the workout but what really jumped out at me was the tempo pace.  It appears that their temp pace is similar to Tinman Tempo pace.  I imagine with the volume of the day the pace was a tad slower than a true tempo day but it is still worth bringing up.

distcoach

Re: Flotrack WOW at Wisconsin

Post by distcoach » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:41 pm

I've got a couple runners being recruited by Mick, so I took special interest in this video.  It should be noted that this was done at the end of August during their yearly camp in Door County, so take that with a grain of salt.  For a lot of those guys, the tempo is probably slower than tinman tempo pace, or maybe pretty close if judging by their fitness at the time.  The rest of the workout probably progresses to AP pace, a little faster than CV pace.  But obviously they got a lot of volume in that day. 

BURN7

Post by BURN7 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:43 pm

Yes it seems that the workout is a staple and is run throughout the season just getting faster along the way.

Spider Man

Post by Spider Man » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:36 pm

What interests me in regards of this session is the overall structure of the session ...

Excluding warm-up & cool-down, the structure appears to be ...

* Easy Tempo
* Faster Tempo
* Intervals (with short recoveries) @ marginally faster pace than the Faster Tempo

I am a fan of combo workouts that use more than one training pace.

A standard session I use with my teenage runners ... all run on grass or paths is ...

* X-Country race pace Intervals (typically 4 x 90 seconds with 60 seconds jog recovery) (set 1)
* Steady Tempo Run: 10-15 minutes
* Repeat of the first set

I'm just wondering, & would be very interested in Tinman's thoughts, if there are any obvious advantages or disadvantages in the way that my session is structured compared with the Winsconsin training session? & whether the training effect is likely to be radically different?