Winter Base Building

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

monica

Re: Winter Base Building

Post by monica » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:13 pm

I don't understand. I tried copying a training schedule that I used in one of the summers a while ago and which worked great back then.

I cannot do this schedule in winter, after about a week my quads were pretty much dead. I was suspecting that in winter they can take less training load for some reason but now it's definitely confirmed.

What causes the difference?

The cold weather? How? Or something else?

Please give me tips! I would like to solve this! Thanks a lot

Tchuck

Post by Tchuck » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:28 am

I don't think any specific tips are needed. Maybe your fitness level is different now than earlier or other factors are involved. If your muscles are fried, your training plan is more difficult than you have the ability to recover from. Slow down the paces and gradually work up to this training schedule.
Those who try, fail! Those who do what it takes to succeed, will SUCCEED!

monica

Post by monica » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:40 pm

[quote="Tchuck"]
I don't think any specific tips are needed. Maybe your fitness level is different now than earlier or other factors are involved. If your muscles are fried, your training plan is more difficult than you have the ability to recover from. Slow down the paces and gradually work up to this training schedule.
[/quote]

My fitness level is actually better than it was when I was doing that training plan in a summer earlier.

What other factors may be involved?

Thanks

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:30 pm

Have you tried this (scroll down to quad pain):

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/cure-quad-pain-calf-pain-and-heavy-legs

I believe it was mentioned before to do some fast downhill running but did you try it?

monica

Post by monica » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:33 pm

[quote="dkggpeters"]
Have you tried this (scroll down to quad pain):

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/cure-quad-pain-calf-pain-and-heavy-legs

I believe it was mentioned before to do some fast downhill running but did you try it?
[/quote]

Hmm thanks, that's an interesting thought actually.

I tried it once a while ago, but it was a long time ago, in a summer, and you know what, I didn't think of this before, but it was before that very successful training plan that I tried to copy for winter now. Hmm would that be related to the success (that is, no quad issues)? :o

I will definitely add this to the list of things to try.

monica

Post by monica » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:51 am

Well I ended up limiting mileage to a safe number (yeah <35). This way no headaches and I seem to have improved! Quads are pretty happy, fresh.

Future goal: I will be working on slowly, very slowly upping mileage over a longer term.

Until then, if this mileage is the optimal training load for me right now then fine, I shouldn't force higher load if it's really the sweet spot right now.

I was originally curious to see if I could improve faster on higher mileage but I'm realising that it - currently - would just be past the "sweet spot" and actually I would just get less improvement that way. I think I made that mistake in the summer where I was - for some reason - muscularly able to run more mileage but got less out of it than with limiting it to "sweet spot".

I'm happy with the rate of improvement right now, just need to keep this consistent to get the really big gains long term. Not lose time over trying to increase load / mileage too fast. Even if it for others is not too fast, it may be for me.

Kind of hard to accept that but what eventually matters is improving, getting results from the training. And I can do that. :D

It will be nice to see though what I'll be able to do on more mileage once I get there! I can do 41-ish 10k on 30-35mpw... good for a girl I think :)

Thanks to everyone again.
Last edited by monica on Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:57 am

Monica,

If you can't figure out how to fix a muscular imbalance/problem on your own then get a good PT.  Well worth the money.

monica

Post by monica » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:43 pm

[quote="dkggpeters"]
Monica,

If you can't figure out how to fix a muscular imbalance/problem on your own then get a good PT.  Well worth the money.
[/quote]

Yep I'd love to get that checked out just in case. I'm still searching for one in my area though. (I'm not in the USA, apparently not easy to find them here)

monica

Post by monica » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:47 pm

I read up a bit more on stuff and with that knowledge what I posted here answers my own questions

http://www.therunzone.com//viewtopic.ph ... 0#msg17580

I may have found a good PT too, getting stuff checked out just in case, I'll report back if there was anything found. If not then it's just what I posted at the above link
Last edited by monica on Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.